News AMD's fastest new laptop chip beats Apple M3 Max in single-core performance — Apple fires back at AMD's Ryzen AI 9 HX 370 in multi-core

No adding official Win10 support is a very stupid move by AMD.

Yes, the OS is going to be EOL'ed very soon, but a lot of corporations are not planning to move to Win11 anytime soon. Specially with the myrad of problems Win11 has. The rollout for Corporate has been incredibly slow as no engineer has any conficence in Win11 not screwing corporate stuff.

I know at least of 3 40K+ corps with their engineers saying that. They all work for Dell.

Regards.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Windows 10 Enterpise with extended support is going to the way for a long time I assume.

Just recently switched to Windows 11 at work myself. At my request, since my copy of Windows 10 was getting a bit buggy. But they are transitioning everyone preemptively. But we don't do any hardcore engineering here and everything is moving to cloud based solutions.

At my old job we were still supporting Windows CE based products. Techs had to carry around a laptop that had VMs for XP and Win7 32bit, and 10 64 bit to interface with everything properly.

Reactions: artk2219

Yes, the OS is going to be EOL'ed very soon, but a lot of corporations are not planning to move to Win11 anytime soon. Specially with the myrad of problems Win11 has. The rollout for Corporate has been incredibly slow as no engineer has any conficence in Win11 not screwing corporate stuff.

I know at least of 3 40K+ corps with their engineers saying that. They all work for Dell.

Regards.
Everyone is pinning their hopes on windows 12 it seems, even though its not shaping up to be any better than 11, currently we are allowing upgrades to 11. With 10 being EOL in October of next year, it'll probably be a gradual transition to 11 just before the 10 EOL. I've been test driving it on a couple of PC's, and its what i use for any Gaming builds. I still prefer 10 but Microsoft isn't giving me a choice in the matter shortly.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/what-to-expect-in-windows-12-leaks-rumors-and-more

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
It's not entirely fair to list the M3 Max as having 16 cores like is listed for the 7945HX3D. The M3 Max has 12 P cores and 4 e cores.

The results are impressive though. Of course I'm sure we will have an article in October that says the M4 Max beats... Followed by one in July that say AMD 8x beats...

Last edited:

DS426

Proper
May 15, 2024

Regards.
What are you talking about? Every major corporation has had their serious meeting conversations and has penciled down their plans on their Windows 11 migration. We're already 60%+ migrated to Windows 11 -- correct, not because we love it but because we have to follow the big tech dictatorships' support cycles -- so no looking back as we do the best with the cards we have in our hand.

That said, it's a bigger smack in the face to consumers that hold on to older OS's longer than enterprise as they basically don't need to be in the support cycle. More to the point on this topic and of more relevance, Ryzen 9000 isn't a wild architectural change like Intel's Thread Director from Alder Lake, so indeed it's basically an AMD corporate decision rather than an AMD technical/engineering one. Windows 10 is STILL IN SUPPORT UNTIL OCTOBER 14, 2025 (ignoring LTSC and IoT channels that go to 2027 and 2030, lol), so with more than a year left of support, that's surprisingly cold of AMD to pull the plug on Windows 10.

Back on the topic of Windows 11's "myriad problems," it's not nearly as bad as it was back in the Win11 22H2 and prior days; yes, Windows 10's maturity is showing itself as such, but Win 11 really doesn't pose a significant stability problem in the enterprise as of circa late spring/early summer 2024.

DS426

Proper
May 15, 2024
It's pretty much a field day for AMD... Intel f'ing up their flagship 13th and 14th gen CPU's, staying quiet, and AMD releasing *BOTH* desktop and mobile parts of a new generation... this is AMD's time to shine. In less than 10 years, an x86 CPU monopoly has changed to at least an roughly equal-footing duopoly. Still not ideal with only two major competitors in the market, but look how both consumer and enterprise customers have benefited from the competition.

Now, the danger is in the GPU world where AMD continues to lose market share to nVidia. How long is it going to take for the "Ryzen moment" to happen for Radeon? I have to agree with others that they need to take a cold hard look at themselves and stop up their game; even at a time when they are benefiting personally and their stakeholders are benefiting from the AI bubble, it's to invest heavy while the cash flows as solid as this bubble isn't going to last forever. Yes, integrated graphics is a strong point for AMD, but the world craves powerful discrete GPU's and will for some time... and no one wants a one-horse race!

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Which is fine because people that by apple will continue to buy apple and Win x86 users will continue to buy intel / AMD.

And the majority of apple users don't even know the difference between ST vs MT performance.
Silly assumption about Apple users. It would be like someone pointing out that the comment uses "by Apple" instead "buy Apple". It would be a silly assumption to assume you don't know the difference. I can tell that you do and there are Apple users who understand single vs multi threaded performance.