AMD's Fusion Chipsets to Support USB 3.0

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]I have yet to see USB HDD that can bottleneck USB 2.0 link. Most HDDs I have do something like 25-35 megabytes per second, while USB 2.0 could handle up to 60.[/citation]
Your HDD's would probably perform 5-15% better on Firewire 400mbps which is 80mbps slower than USB2. You need USB3,1 reason is that it makes you think you have slow external hard drives.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]I have yet to see USB HDD that can bottleneck USB 2.0 link. Most HDDs I have do something like 25-35 megabytes per second, while USB 2.0 could handle up to 60.[/citation]

I can definitively tell you that an external had drive on eSata will move data around 5x faster than the same drive on a USB 2.0 connection.

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007

Just how old are your hdd's? Any decent drive from the last 5 years can max out usb2.I'd love to see where you usb2 defenders are getting your info from.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
My external HDDs transfer around 30MB when connected to USB, when I connect the drive inside my system (SATA) it more then doubles transfer speed, kind of shows that USB is slowing down the transfer rate.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I'm not a fan of USB2. I find USB2 slow even when it was introduced. That is why I had no objection to upgrade my system with eSATA when it became available. USB2 is only good for mouse and keyboards, well maybe some slow USB sticks also. So I'm really looking forward for USB3 support in the latest hardwares.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Ogdin[/nom]Just how old are your hdd's? Any decent drive from the last 5 years can max out usb2.I'd love to see where you usb2 defenders are getting your info from.[/citation]
No they can't max out USB 2.0 because the 480 mbits/s maximum bandwidth is basically just theoretical. Usually it operates around 240 mbits/s. A hdd when connected through firewire 400 can transfer data way faster that usb 2.0, even though firewire has a maximum bandwidth 80 mbits/s lower than usb 2.0

Ok stop. The reason FW transfers data faster is because it can do bulk DMA transfers. The FW protocol was designed to stream large amounts of video data in real time, its works great at doing this. The USB protocol was designed to replace the older serial port, parallel port and PS/2 ports. It was supposed to be a single unifying BUS for external peripherals. Mass storage media wasn't envisioned in the USB protocol and its packet based system doesn't lend itself well to streaming data off a disk drive. Even with USB 2.0 dramatically increasing the speeds it didn't change the nature of the protocol.

USB 3.0 won't be any better then USB 2.0 is at mass storage devices, it will have more bandwidth but it'll still be inefficient at streaming data. Your device won't bottleneck anymore, but don't expect to get anywhere near the max theoretical bandwidth for data transfers.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
When will AMD's "A75 and A70M Fusion chipsets" be available and on the shelves and at what price?

I didn't see anything on the AMD website about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.