AMD's Future Chips & SoC's: News, Info & Rumours.

Page 99 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nah, fellas. You really don't need the X570 to enjoy PBO2. If partners have the marbles to put out good B450s with decent VRMs that can keep the Ry3Ks well fed, then you won't see a major delta between the CPU performances in both platforms.

I agree the selling point for the X570 is the PCIe 4.0 stuff, but let's be realistic here. That is not a selling point for most of us anyway. Current X470 owners like myself and a huge amount of others that went with a 2600X/2700X can just swap into a Ry3K and see how PBO2 just works its magic.

On that account, as I said, a good B450 (or B550 when released) motherboard won't have anything to be shy about compared to the X-line siblings. The real question here is if the partners have the marbles to do it. Has anyone seen beefy B450s out there?

Cheers!

InvalidError

Titan
I agree the selling point for the X570 is the PCIe 4.0 stuff, but let's be realistic here.
Unless AMD is withholding something that board manufacturers need to enable CPU-based PCIe 4.0 on b450 motherboards, we'll probably see some manufacturers do exactly that and for most people, those are the only 4.0 lanes that really matter since a typical gaming PC only has a GPU and NVMe boot/favorites drive that might benefit from it.

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Nah, fellas. You really don't need the X570 to enjoy PBO2. If partners have the marbles to put out good B450s with decent VRMs that can keep the Ry3Ks well fed, then you won't see a major delta between the CPU performances in both platforms.

I agree the selling point for the X570 is the PCIe 4.0 stuff, but let's be realistic here. That is not a selling point for most of us anyway. Current X470 owners like myself and a huge amount of others that went with a 2600X/2700X can just swap into a Ry3K and see how PBO2 just works its magic.

On that account, as I said, a good B450 (or B550 when released) motherboard won't have anything to be shy about compared to the X-line siblings. The real question here is if the partners have the marbles to do it. Has anyone seen beefy B450s out there?

Cheers!

MSI B450 Carbon AC sure seems to be a well built B450.

Cheers!
Asus Prime x470 pro already has third BIOS to support Ryzen 3 but only on last (5007) BIOS all PBO2 options are already enabled. Judging by how they work some of those options are apparently only for Ryzen3. Even with 2700x they produce somewhat higher frequency on one or few cores than even best OC can produce. Not by much mind you, 4.3 OC and 4,316GHz with PBO2 only. Given some other settings that do not do anything on 2700x , like some setting for temperature limit for instance. Obviously meant for next gen. There are some hints that BCLK will be readily available for fine tuning. That I would love.

So yeah... It seems like the 3600X and 3700X are going to be the bread and butter of the Ry3K lineup. And they'll be fine workhorses with decent B450 platforms on their own. I wonder what AMD will do about the X570 platform and their value offering...

On the other hand, AMD is really going to put the hurt to Intel in the mid range.

Cheers!

Amd already has hurt intels midrange lineup, but the 3000 series will aswell.
They didn't quite make the performance delta of the mid-range as evident as it will be now though. That's what I'm talking about. The Core i5s selling in the current price points are not going to be even considered for serious recommendations over the 3600(X) with a cheap-ish B450/550 from the value perspective; hell, not even from the performance perspective.

Cheers!

Reactions: digitalgriffin

jdwii

Splendid
This is why i wanted preorders the 3700X can't be found at newegg or amazon! Gonna spend my day reading like every review and watching every video gonna see how close i was to assuming overclocks and IPC.

So overclocks are mainly within 4.3ghz i wonder who guessed that lol

Ok watched 2 reviews probably gonna spend like 8+ hours researching and comparing but so far it seems leaving XFR alone like the 2700X is best in terms of gaming performance or single core scores.

Being declared among many Amd took the IPC crown away from Intel! OMG 3700X is getting so close to the 9900K at 5ghz at just 4.3Ghz! "4.4Ghz wasn't gonna happen i was pushing 1.5+V)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDyNDMzIC-Q

View: https://youtu.be/7DJpx_lXftc?t=41

Last edited:
The 3700x at 4.4ghz does indeed come relatively close to the 9900k while costing $150 less, and indeed beats in some cases, but there's more to the story that makes the 3700x even more appealing.
Just look at this. The 3700x system drew HALF as much power as the 9900k system under load. HALF!

View: https://imgur.com/tuCM4iZ

$

The IPC on the 3700x is superior to even the 9900k. Although not shown above, several reviewers have shown that the 3700x beats the 9900k in Cinebench with both CPUs locked at a certain speed.
However, the 9900ks clock speeds (when not limited) make up for this and the single threaded performance and gaming performance edges out the Ryzen 3700, just slightly.
AMD has struggled with clock speed in the past, but clocks aren't everything since AMD has the cores, efficiency, and IPC to make up for it.
The I9s high clocks and aging architecture come at a steep efficiency cost as we see above.

Timmy Joe PC tech overclocked the 3700x to 4.4 and beat an I9 9900k at 5.3ghzin cinebench R15. Talk about an incredible feat since the 3700x was at a near 1ghz disadvantage and certainly was consuming less power than the 9900k. SRY about the bad image quality video here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C1Jr5GMnqI

3700x @4.4=2310cb
https://ibb.co/r69xH7c
9900k @5.3=2303cb
https://ibb.co/RhMThHs

Want to be impressed some more, look at the 3600x vs I7 and I9.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSmAS9frJoM
Never saw this youtuber before, but seems like the Ryzen CPUs are keeping up well.

I also found this review interesting because it showed the 3600 and 3600x performance on 300, 400, and 500 series boards. I suspect many people will use older boards for ryzen 5 CPUs.
Spoiler, they all perform the same.

Last edited:

jdwii

Splendid
I'll be making lots of comments regarding Zen 2 but it's everything that i thought it would be I still want to see how it fairs in some more IPC related tests but as soon as its up i'm getting the 3700X so far i'm seeing equal performance in productivity while being 5-10% slower in gaming at the worst to being almost equal at 1080P.

3800X and 3600X will not be as successful i guarantee it though i'm sure Amd will sell more of those then their new 16 core which i find to be probably in a niche market.

My favorite chip of the bunch is by far the 3700X

Last edited:
I like the 3600 and 3700x.

3600 beats 8700k in workstation tasks and tied in games. 3700x is close to 9700k and 9900k in games but wins again in workstation tasks.
I knew 7nm would be efficient, but i am most impressed by how the 3700x ties the 9900k but consumes half the power.

Steve showed the 3900x beating an i9 9900k by over 40% in Blender while the 3900x drew 8% less power. Wow.

jdwii

Splendid
I still need to look at the 6 core parts yet what i find interesting is not once did the 12 core lose to their 8 core in gaming even with 2 separate chiplets this might mean having that extra 32mb of L3 helps with latency in between chiplets.

Also very impressive power consumption figures for the 3900x its basically the same as the 2700x

View: https://youtu.be/oDVUdpcKZMA?t=649

Last edited:
4.3 is about the maximum on air, which most 8 core and above chips can do with the stock cooler.

Timmy joe got the 3700x to run at 4.4ghz stable with an aio in ice water and ran cinevebch r15. He beat his 9900k at 5.3ghz.

Quite impressive and absolutely within expectations.

I wonder what Intel is going to do now...

Cheers!

Ditch core? Lets face it, the last major re-design Intel has done was, what, Sandy Bridge? The uArch is ancient, and all those little 5% performance losses due to security fixes are starting to add up. Intel's fine tuned things about as much as they can, they need a clean-sheet design and have to start over.

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Still i can see Intel boys screaming that they are still unbeatable in games. Although Ryzen seem to lag a bit behind, later down the road after some tweaks and updates i think they will catch up to Intel.

Really happy to see no performance degradation of Zen 2 on older hardware B450, X470.

I hope Ryzen 4000 extends further overclocking support. Since Intel's only advantage seems to be clock speed. If Ryzen is able to provide >4.5Ghz OC all core, then Intel will be dusted for sure.

4.3 all core seems to be the top.

AMD doesnt beat Intel in multithreaded benchmarks... AMD Destroys intel in multithreaded benchmarks! Even when comparing 8 core to 8 core.

Intel is slightly ahead for gaming, but just barely. With more rounds of security patches and Ryzen optimizations, I wouldn't doubt Intel will be tied with and in games, but Intel would still be destroyed everywhere else.

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
To my knowledge i see no Intel 10nm desktop announcements until 2021, sooner or later they will be left in the dust by Zen2 and the upcoming Zen3/2+ later next year.

Reviews of these CPU's seem to be rare 3600x & 3800X

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Intel has the Shekels to react with a quick franken-CPU as they have in the past. They did with the Athlon64 X2 and right before Phenom. I mean, they DID put metal in the 9900K when everyone agreed it was the obvious thing to do. There's a couple more obvious things to do still, so I'm expecting them to actually announce something soon.

Other than that, I'd like to see more Ry3600(X) reviews as well. The Ry3700X is great in all accounts, but the mainstream beast will be the Ry3600.

Also, I wanna see how the APUs stack :D

Cheers!

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
You want to watch a good side by side comparison of the 3600X vs. the 8700K(stock). 8700K running at 4,295 MHz vs. 3600X at 4,175 Mhz. Look at the side by side, and using 32GB of RAM. It's impressive! Around 10:26 seconds starts the real time side by side comparison.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Strictly technical: Matisse (Not really)
The IPC

For the first time in over a decade, AMD has reached IPC parity with Intel.
On average, based on the results of 32 individual workloads Zen 2 even manages to provide slightly higher average IPC than Coffee Lake-S Refresh.
Thanks to it AVX-512 resources Skylake-X manages to stay a head in this test suite however, not by a large margin.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-9_oUfXkAYdDEM.png
https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1728758-strictly-technical-matisse-not-really.html