AMD's Future Chips & SoC's: News, Info & Rumours.

Page 102 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
That article wouls take untill the next ice age to read and understand completely for someone like me.

Some of the terms their are throwing out are complecated, but i get the jist.

My question is, is there much gaming difference between a 3600x and a more expensive chip since the clocks are close and the more cores arent meeded today? I dont see 6/12t getting saturated in future games in the next year or 2.

InvalidError

Titan
My question is, is there much gaming difference between a 3600x and a more expensive chip since the clocks are close and the more cores arent meeded today? I dont see 6/12t getting saturated in future games in the next year or 2.
If you are using your PC strictly for gaming, there won't be much benefit until games start using most of that 6c12t. If you have a significant number of things running in the background (as opposed to open but otherwise mostly idle), then extra cores can be useful right away.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Personally I use my Ryzen 5 2600 rig to stream to two 1080p TVs, while casual gaming (2 to 3 hours at a time playing current single player games) or doing general web browsing and occasionally I transcode video files or do some photo editing.
For my use the 6 core Ryzen 5 2600 that I have now performs extremely well.
I do plan on watching to see how much a 3600, 3600x and 3700x will benefit me.
If one of them offers a decent increase in performance for a reasonable price I will almost certainly upgrade my CPU in the next 6 months to a year.

jdwii

Splendid
Anandtech finished updating their results with the revisited BIOS for the 3900X and 3700X:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar

Interesting results with the update!

Cheers!

111165.png

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
It seems like Intel is countering Ryzen 3000 with 10th gen 14nm+++, having higher boost clocks and hyper-threading but with a new socket and no PCIE Gen4.

Possibly costing more for the K series parts.

The leaked processor list.

jdwii

Splendid
https://www.xanxogaming.com/reviews...EA_PCI_Express_errors_on_NVIDIA_GeForce_cards

Some issues people are having WHEA errors with Ryzen 3000 series chips with a Nvidia GPU at overclocker.net members are having issues with even Amd GPU's. This is on X300, X400, X500 boards.

Little bit of launch issues this time but l'm wondering how quickly fixes will come.

Also noticed that on the Asrock Taichi x370 thread some users are having issues getting even nice memory kits to 3000mhz or above with Ryzen 3000 series when they could with their older Ryzen CPU's.

https://www.xanxogaming.com/reviews...EA_PCI_Express_errors_on_NVIDIA_GeForce_cards

Some issues people are having WHEA errors with Ryzen 3000 series chips with a Nvidia GPU at overclocker.net members are having issues with even Amd GPU's. This is on X300, X400, X500 boards.

Little bit of launch issues this time but l'm wondering how quickly fixes will come.

Also noticed that on the Asrock Taichi x370 thread some users are having issues getting even nice memory kits to 3000mhz or above with Ryzen 3000 series when they could with their older Ryzen CPU's.
MBs with 300 series chipsets always had problems with fast RAM because of topology of RAM connecting to CPU. As situations is not much better with 2nd gen I see no reason to be any better with 3rd gen.
My 1600x and 1700x and even 2700x were having same restrictions on Asus prime x370 pro but 1700x and now 2700x were/are pushing 3600MHz without problem on same but x470 MB.
I've run into this just few minutes ago. View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbqnbo/3800x_installed_in_asrock_x370_mild_overclock_and/

jdwii

Splendid
Well i notice the 8 core and 12 core models are out of stock but this whole time i could buy a 3600X and 3600 just fine.

Maybe Amd didn't expect this demand or they can't meet supply.

Also, it's just weird with the memory troubles as these users had their memory 100% stable at higher bandwidth with the 2700X then the Ryzen 3000 series. Currently on my 2700X and asrock X370 i can run at 3400mhz at 14 timings and its 100% stable in memtest at 1500% coverage.

These users are literary having to lower their speeds to 3000 or lower. I'll see when i get my 3700X.

Edit

Turns out that newer bios's are fixing the ram issues already on older boards, like always 3-6 months for the platform to begin to mature.

Last edited:

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Hardware Unboxed says that the latest Ryzen 3000 series performs better than the others when using a Gigabyte x570 board, It would be best to see these chips bench marked on various boards just to see any aspects of improvements.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
The only reason we’d invest in the 9900K right now would be if we played games such as StarCraft II full time. There's a few titles that do play noticeably better with the Intel CPU, in StarCraft's case in complex late game 4v4 battles. Likewise, you’d go Intel if you needed every last frame possible, but short of that the 3900X is the better choice.

It’s worth remembering that we’re seeing little difference at 1080p with an RTX 2080 Ti. This means using an RTX 2080 will more than halve the margins seen here and we know because we’ve looked into it. Then with an RTX 2070 or RX 5700, performance will be identical. Alternatively, if you play at higher more GPU-bound resolutions, you’ll find the same thing, marginal difference in terms of gaming performance.
Stock.png

OC.png

jdwii

Splendid
Not to bad at all 6% behind in IPC for games while being ahead in applications. Zen 3 needs to focus on latency more and overall IPC as Intel with Icelake in 2020 on desktops will be coming out with a rumored 18% IPC increase(about time).

That article wouls take untill the next ice age to read and understand completely for someone like me.

Some of the terms their are throwing out are complecated, but i get the jist.

There are a few games that will use the additional cores (Civ VI, Ashes Of The Singularity) as the AI logic threads well. But those games are few and far between. So you should be set.

However, if you handbrake/transcode(PLEX), or render videos (Premiere), compile, AI training, do a lot of archiving (zip/compressed backup) or stream while playing, the additional cores would do you well. With the core count race, I think in 3 years, more games will jump on board and require 8 logical processors recommended, with 16 being optimal.

Planet Coaster is hitting all 8 of my logical cores pretty darn hard. (A really fun game btw) I think it's the AI logic being called for each and every family/park visitor in determining which rides they frequent.

jdwii

Splendid
There are a few games that will use the additional cores (Civ VI, Ashes Of The Singularity) as the AI logic threads well. But those games are few and far between. So you should be set.

However, if you handbrake/transcode(PLEX), or render videos (Premiere), compile, AI training, do a lot of archiving (zip/compressed backup) or stream while playing, the additional cores would do you well. With the core count race, I think in 3 years, more games will jump on board and require 8 logical processors recommended, with 16 being optimal.

Planet Coaster is hitting all 8 of my logical cores pretty darn hard. (A really fun game btw) I think it's the AI logic being called for each and every family/park visitor in determining which rides they frequent.

6 core CPU's will be short lived i think in gaming systems moving forward a 6 core processor won't last as long as the 4 core 8 threaded top of the line CPU did. I wouldn't be surprised if even Intel moved to 8 cores 16 threads at a $350 price tag soon

InvalidError

Titan
6 core CPU's will be short lived i think in gaming systems moving forward a 6 core processor won't last as long as the 4 core 8 threaded top of the line CPU did.
Unless PC game developers want to commit marketplace suicide, they can't increase their minimum requirements much faster than the bottom-end of their target audience upgrades their PC. Modern 6c12t CPUs are going to remain game-worthy for several years because the bulk of PC gamers aren't bothering to spend $1000+ on a new system every couple of years. Quad cores and lower still account for ~75% of people on Steam.

Reactions: rigg42 and DMAN999