News AMD's Future CPUs Could Feature a 3D-Stacked ML Accelerator

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Is there any impact that this could have on long-standing GPU shortages?

Is there a known percentage of users who buy GPUs for ML or neural workloads? (I mean, buy GPUs not for gaming and not for mining)

Is there a known percentage of users who buy GPUs for ML or neural workloads? (I mean, buy GPUs not for gaming and not for mining)
Not really. Anyone who's serious about this sort of work will just get a GPU or some other specialized hardware. It's like how AVX didn't really impact the GPGPU market, despite AVX targeting the same sorts of workloads.

Reactions: ezst036

ddcservices

Honorable
Oct 12, 2017

There is a clear misunderstanding here that is very very common. A video card shortage is not necessarily caused by a GPU shortage. There isn't a lot of transparency in the video card market, but consider:
A video card takes a PCB(printed circuit board), the GPU chip itself, VRAM(video RAM), VRMs(Voltage Regulator Modules), then you have the connectors for both monitors, power, and cooling, and then you have the cooling system itself.

If there is a shortage of VRAM, or VRMs, there will be a shortage of video cards, even if there is a large supply of the actual GPUs from AMD or NVIDIA.

There is a huge amount of talk on web sites about the video card shortages, but people assume the shortages are caused by a lack of GPUs, rather than other factors. If a video card maker has limited supplies, they will prioritize select products, but it could also cause things like these video card makers putting the priority into NVIDIA cards, and short-changing AMD in the process by not making a fair number of AMD based cards.

Going back to what you are thinking, AMD has two primarily lines of GPUs, consumer based(RDNA), and workstation/server(CDNA). The CDNA based products(Radeon Instinct) aren't just using the same design as the consumer products, they are compute focused, while RDNA is gaming focused. I haven't heard about a shortage of Radeon Instinct products, but then again, there isn't much discussion about if there are ANY shortages for those professional tier products.

Reactions: ezst036