News AMD's gaming revenue nosedives 48%, not expected to recover until 2025

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

valthuer

Proper
Oct 26, 2023
I'm also willing to say nVidia hasn't had spectacular sales this gen for the same reason, compared to past gens.

Yeah, Nvidia GPU sales have been unimpressive at best, because:

a) people don't want to dish out the money for the 4090

or

b) they don't want to dish out the money for the other 4000 series cards that aren't much of an upgrade over previous gen... if at all.

4090 or bust with the 4000 series.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
4090 or bust with the 4000 series.
With the exception of 4060, for those upgrading an ageing GPU and not looking to chase frames or spend money. 4060 may be an entry level GPU, but it's pretty strong compared to stuff from 5+ years ago.
$300 is maybe pricy but considering inflation and the general rise in GPU prices, it's a lot of GPU for the money.

The 4090 on paper is the one. Huge performance for years and years to come. It's let down by it's reliability issues, but that's what warranty is for.

leoneo.x64

Reputable
Feb 24, 2020
Let's not forget another key reason. After decades, AMD's latest GPUs are not supported on MacOS for the first time. A 24 GB regular 7900 XTX or 48 GB Radeon Pro W7900 would supercharge macs and hackingtoshes but Apple wants to push their own silicon.

valthuer

Proper
Oct 26, 2023
The 4090 on paper is the one. Huge performance for years and years to come. It's let down by it's reliability issues, but that's what warranty is for.

The true test of its longevity, will be Unreal Engine 5 and Path Tracing, and how quickly they will become mainstream.

Certain game releases during 2024, will be a clear indication of whether it's gonna last for years, or not.

Reactions: gg83 and artk2219
the 4080 super is a viable 4k card. the RX8000 series should still give us a 5080 competitor.

They did that with the 7900GRE and the 7900XTX, it would be sad to see RX 8000 series without a 5080 rival.

Cards till 7800XT were more of a side grade when compared to the RX 6000 series cards. I dont want to see that happen again with the RX8000 series.

My previous card was the RX480. Hopefully AMD convinces me for my next card.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
What AMD has:
- competitive raster performance
- more VRAM for the money
- FSR
- efficiency
- competitive prices

What AMD doesn't have:
- a monstrous card that melts energy sockets, but is otherwise good for branding purposes
- raytracing performance

If the rumours turn out true, and the next cards don't catch up on raytracing and/or offer something indisputably better than Nvidia and Intel, they may not ever recover, because Intel is already in the game and may surpass them in the next generation. Their cards are good, if they go upper-mainstream and AMD fails to deliver it's game over.

"Meh, raytracing is not all that" it is the latest and greatest feature in the eyes of the consumer. It is increasingly being used on every game, and some even do full-path tracing. AMD was competitive many times, but started to decline recently when the RX 6000 cards were one generation behind the RTX 3000 in RT, and further dig their graves when RX 7000 didn't improve things.

Maybe they are doing an RT chiplet? I think it would be a good move, reduced costs and possibly even better performance (a dedicated chip that is not constrained by the raster circuits).

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
the 4080 super is a viable 4k card.
It is and it isn't. It's so expensive you might as well go whole hog and buy the 4090. It is everything a 4080 Super is, and even more.
Stopping short of buying the most powerfull GPU in history, and still spending a huge amount of money on a GPU... it doesn't make sense.

But it does have value. As a Super refresh GPU it ought to. A 4070 Ti Super also kiiinda is decent value.

The general remark "4090 or bust" still largely stands. I'd toss the 4060 in there for the low cost for it's performace vs older gen GPUs, and lower power draw/less W PSU required.

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Yeah, them consoles, and many devs developing video games, which run on these consoles, and which make PC rigs easily tag along even with old GPUs. And then there is also the mobile market, where many pay like $1,000 for a mobile phone, and possibly at least as much by micro-payments, partially on stuff which isn't by design really that different to gambling machines.

Ah well... to each their own, I suppose. Some love loot boxes, for some stuff in a game, that won't be accessible, once the servers shut down. I prefer a larger screen, e.g. to explore an area with in a game such as Witcher 3, with the possibility to find some gear that I can still make use of in years to come, such as when not having time for gaming or this game inbetween these years.

user7007

Commendable
Mar 9, 2022
ROCm is officially supported on it, for a while. Both on Windows and Linux.
it wasn't when the card was first released and I was interested in it. I just tried to download pytorch (right now) for windows with rocm and it's linux only. cuda works for both. but seeing rocm listed as an official option is a big win, so that's something.

I also just looked up llama 3 and it sounds like people are running that on rocm so maybe things are getting better.

Reactions: gg83

randsec

Prominent
Jun 10, 2022
It's not quite baseless. The dots they're connecting are that recovering gaming revenue in 2025, not 2024, implies next Gen cards aren't expected until 2025
The ER numbers expected are actual product sales, which always need to ramp up, so we may have a couple of quarters delay after new product introduction until the result is large enough to count. 2024 is still in play.

A kick-ass 2024 APU may start to take market from the cheaper GPU cards, but that will take time. So, 2024 for APU sales, but 2025 for market results against the cards.

There may be a PlayStation Pro console released (as usual) in late November. That is when Sony starts counting sales revenue, and probably when AMD does as well. We first see those numbers in the 2024 Q4 ER, in late January 2025. Again, 2025.

Reactions: bit_user