AMD's Mantle API Gives Devs Direct Hardware Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryude

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
I would hope that we move towards OpenGL, proprietary doesn't help the consumers. Open source AMD!

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Indeed. DirectX is going up against some strong competition this decade between OpenGL, Valve with Steam Machines and native Linux gaming, and now AMD's Mantle.

#OperationPCGamerFreedom

Can you guys clarify how open this new mantle API from amd? if the API indeed is open source will it be maintain by open community like OpenGL and OpenCL did? or is it much like tressfx which amd has total control in building and the future direction of the software but it can also be run on non amd hardware?

renz496
Can you guys clarify how open this new mantle API from amd? if the API indeed is open source will it be maintain by open community like OpenGL and OpenCL did? or is it much like tressfx which amd has total control in building and the future direction of the software but it can also be run on non amd hardware?
its for AMD's GCN, so its not open.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

FTA: "There's talk that Mantle is open-source, meaning Nvidia could add support to GeForce GPUs."

You obviously didn't read the article, did you? Either way, this is a great step forward for AMD and for gaming.

Hazle

Distinguished
here's hoping this really takes off. and if OpenGL becomes a standard in a majority of games, i can see my dream of the gaming console war shifting to an optimized gaming OS war an actual possibility.

joaompp

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't this result in hardware failure by giving so much leverage in the API? Hopefully they lock it down just enough to prevent that while still achieving that performance level

weatherdude

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
It sounds like we're on the cusp of a revolution in gaming. The Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 use x86-64 cpus and AMD has 100% of the console graphics market share. The barriers for developing multi-platform seem lower than ever. It'd be great that Mantle be open source so that consumers would benefit the most but I'm not really expecting it.

Looking back, AMD's acquisition of ATI must be the best business decision ever.

ddelrio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
This might work. If they hadn't captured both major consoles, it would be a much bigger risk--but because consoles are usually the initial target for most big games, there's a good chance it will succeed. They may have taken a bigger hit on hardware price to Sony and MS just to ensure they captured both consoles so they could then employ this strategy.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
From a purely developer's standpoint, it makes more sense than a lot of APIs. Its going to be on all the consoles they support and a good number of PCs. Its also open source allowing NVidia to adapt to the API for future releases.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
AMD: innovation
NVIDIA: rehash and milk existing tech + pay developers to incorporate their proprietary crap exclusive for their latest GPUs.

I still love my GTX670 though. But GO AMD !

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Even if this API just give only 10-20% extra performance over DirectX, That alone is enough to give Nvidia a hard-time.

R290X is already as fast or slightly faster than Titan in DirectX, adding this on giant title like Battlefield4/frostbite 3 is like adding salt to wound to Nvidia. lol

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
I really want to see this in action on socs!
Hopefully AMD Will start production of Arm based socs!
They have experience, expertise & technology to shine once again. They will be able to run down the Nv & Qualcomm in this front if they play right!
I hope this will be open sourced code so that over the time & other GPUs will be able to use it!

i don't know if amd really interested with ARM SoC. they already intend to put their APU into tablet. also it's not easy to take on qualcomm especially in smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.