AMD's New 780G Chipset Has Powerful GPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

that_aznpride101

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005

Yeah, I've seen some of the AMD fanboys accusing THG being biased... But honestly, I think it really is the writer, not necessarily the website. Like have you read the last article by Floren (I think) Carpentier? What really struck out to me was his conclusion that the quad core Black Edition proc was just as "bad" dual core BE processor. If you read the actual article of the dual core BE (not written by the French dude), the writer actually praised it. Anyway, enough of my AMD fanboy griping...heh.

But yeah, I hope PC gaming makes a comeback. I'm more of a PC gamer than a console gamer.

najames

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Hmm, I've been using dual 22" HP monitors off the onboard DVI and VGA ports on my Biostar TA690G board for some time. How can this be the first board to support dual monitors?

4745454b

Titan
As the article mentioned, this is the first real AMD graphics "card". I certainly hope this is the way of the future. I read this article and really failed to see much of anything bad about this. HTPC use? With a underclocked CPU and a large enough heatsink, you could actually make a completely fanless computer with this. (assuming they still make no fan PSUs.) Overclockable? Ummm, DUH! Low power consumption? Give it another yes. Just about the only thing I didn't see was what audio options were going to be available. This isn't really a bad thing however, as modern onboard solutions sound fine to me.

While their CPUs and video cards haven't been the fastest recently, my hat is off to AMD. Good job on this, I hope you can roll this success into future products.

hamsystem

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
This is good news. I may have to try it out in the WoW box I was planning on building my girlfriend. Newegg has the same board in the review up for $99.99.

Ypu. Good to see that AMD is alive and kicking. Hopefully the motherboard manufacturers decides to include on board video RAM instead of shared video RAM. Hopefully ASUS and Gigabyte will do it. With RAM being so cheap right now they might as well do it. It could actually help AMD sell more boards if they do it. Good job AMD!

The motherboard's BIOS lets you borrow 128, 256 or 512 MB of RAM from the system's RAM, to allocate it as video memory to the integrated GPU. For the first time ever, AMD is also equipping its integrated graphics chip with a separate memory interface. This allows motherboard makers and OEMs to provide dedicated graphics memory for the integrated chip directly on the board, if they find the GPU's performance unsatisfactory, or don't wish to use a shared-memory solution. In effect, this transforms the integrated on-chip graphics solution into a dedicated graphics card that just happens to reside in the northbridge. AMD has not announced yet whether any of its board partners are considering this sort of move, though.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/04/amd_780g_chipset/page2.html
About time some one did some thing like this.

Wonder what thunderman would say.........

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Especially if the named dual core semprons come out, sounds like a nice small package with a punch.

sunangel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Bert,

thank you so much for the review. i have been waiting so long for intel to include hdcp in its onboard graphics. i was unaware the g35 didn't have it. i suppose i could wait for g45, but amd is here first ... plus i'm in love with radeon hd series ... not a graphics card on the market, past or present, that outdisplays these babies. i just swapped a q6600 for a celeron 420 to cut down on the juice. after reading this news, now i have two processors and a motherboard to ebay. i'm gonna wait on asus to see what they intend to do. the gigabyte board was feature rich, EXCEPT FOR BACKPANEL COAXIAL DIGITAL OUT, absolutely stupid not to include it on the back panel.

anyways, wanted to say thanks again for the review. everyday my media center pc is getting closer to my idea of a dream machine.

Intel with there centrino (platform) is powerful yet always lacking in video performance, or with a dedicated video chip, kinda pricey, now AMD has similar performance cpus (well not as quick, but for portable there more then sufficent), cheap, and now there basic of basic IGP is fast and efficent, making there platform overall more usable if you ask me, with vista being video hungry i think overall an AMD laptop would be feel quicker (for lower end atleast).

Since i do a mix of tasks on my laptop but not gaming as a main and use vista, an AMD platform may be my next platform choice in a laptop with this chipset.

With all these attacks on Intel, what and when will intel do something to match?

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

I suspect that Intel may attempt a chipset with the Atom to compete in this area.

They may even be able to match what AMD has released with their own equivalent Celeron.

At any rate, this is a huge step forward in the right direction, esp. for HTPCs.

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
This is intelligently made.

COOL in every way though I may not understand some of its features but I gonna buy this mobo.

This would be a big hit chipset if available in Intel socket version. ^_^

jerseygamer

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007

Oh I dont think AMD would pass up the opertunity to make this platform available for Intel users. They realy cant pass up the sales at this point.

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
Well I'm thinking about buying this, and throwing it in a low profile Micro Case. I also want to a PCIe TV Tuner in this, so that I can run TV/DVR to my 37" LCD TV. I plan on running 2G of RAM in this and a 320GB HD.

Anyone know what the smallest Power Supply you can go with is? I don't plan on putting another video card in it. I'm trying to do this for very cheap, so I can finally get rid of my Cable Companies DVR since they piss me off all the time.

sunangel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006

Your foolish if you think a media center pc is a worthy replacement for a digital cable box with dvr even if the media center pc has cable card input. :non:

Narg

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006

How's it tied (only, as you make it seem) to the Phenom? Would you really make a high end gaming system out of this chipset? Really?

This setup with a PROPER cpu is definitely my next HTPC.

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001

Why is that? This chipset has HDMI output, and the card I would be putting in can handle Coax input, watching and recording TV, and has a remote. I absolutely hate my cable company.

sunangel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006

My bad, I understand your comment now. If using standard analog cable tv signal your are correct. However, getting digital cable signals into media center is a pain in the royale-you-know-what. Unless your using cable card, then you must use a digital cable box to get digital channels, which by the way can only be output-ed through s-video at best. Where's the benefit to digital if it has to be converted back into analog to get into media center?

BTW, im not totally knocking on cable boxes and media center. I tried the setup for some time. It finally hit me that if I were to stay the digital cable route my only real option for not throwing money away was just use the cable box dvr. I even went as far as getting a second box for the bedroom. This was a cool setup because I could start watching in the family room move to the bedroom and pick up right where I left off. In fact, I didn't even have to shut off the living room dvr, I could just move to the bedroom and turn it off from there.

I bailed out on this setup after my year promotion was up and setup a dual tuner media center box with just analog cable. The gigabyte board is near perfect so I can get a small computer case and place it in a VCR TV mount hanging below the tv. Before, I had to have a full size computer case...too big, too heavy.

As far as power, an intel q6600, this board, a couple of hard drives, a couple sticks of memory, a dvd burner, and two tv cards will probably hit a max 350 watts (21 amps) at start and smooth out to about 125 watts at idle. So, obviously you'll at least need 350 watt PSU. Overtime as the PSU loses it peak power rating, you'll find it will not boot at times. Thus, you can get a higher rated PSU now, or buy another later when technology has gotten more efficient.

christo499

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
I agree. I love this setup and have been waiting years for someone to integrate to give me this capability. In my setup I'll use to bring my digital movie database to my networked home entertainment location without having a massive box next to my AV center. I can now place a capable, wireless networked device into my AV setup with remote control and access to my digital content - all elegantly. Thanks AMD!! Can anyone tell me where to get the Hiper box and ultra-low profile cooler and fan that was mentioned in the setup? I look forward to a response from fans or the author.

GOLDEN SAMPLE! RETAIL VERSIONS WONT CLOCK NEARLY AS HIGH! INTEL IGP's CAN CLOCK HIGHER! ITS COMBIND WITH A CRUD CPU!

lol just had to :D

just out of interest, will retails work so well? and what about with extra cooling? and i wonder about power consumption, increases, comparing to a similar card?

This is somewhere where nvidia has nothing...

mercury_22

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
This article contains a BIG LIE about Intel's G35 chipset !!
As you can see here http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/G35/index.htm G35 HAS High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) with HDCP "supporting all HD formats including 720p, 1080i and 1080p." and HDMI 5.1-Audio !!! Also it can play Blu-ray / HD DVD whithout any problems using hardware acceleration (with PowerDVD Ultra) at Full HD (1080p).How I know this ? Because I own an ASUS P5E-V HDMI http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=584&l4=0&model=1929&modelmenu=1 !!!
So the "...table compares the integrated graphics units of AMD's 690G, 780G and 780V chipsets, as well as Intel's G33 and G35." it's WRONG !!!
I'm "Tom's hardware" fan but this article it's disappointing at least !
P.S. What about the 780G's Southbridge in comparison with intel's ICHR 8/9 ?