AMD's New Radeon RX 480 Driver Fixes Power Issues

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Could you elaborate on this? When you say pulsing current, do you mean you applied a pulse train current waveform to the resistor? And when you say the temperatures are going up, going up compared to what?

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I'm not a native speaker, sorry. To geht the same HF current and not only flat DC we bundled the two 8-pins of a R9 295 X2 with the help of two cables to a dummy PCB with a single 6-pin connector. The PCIe cable of an older single-rail Corsair AX1200 (Flextronics) can deliver each current you need, in this case up to 450 watts (or approx 38 A). This was one of the experiments we does with the R9 295 X2, may be you remember my video with a 500 watts PSU and this VGA beast. ;)

The temperatures were monitored with IR equipment (cable, socket, plug). If you are using AWG16 cables the botleneck is the socket, not the cable itself or the the pins of the plug. The resistance of this connection increases with the frequency. If you are using absolutely new sockets and plugs it may work better, but for my taste are above 110°C simply too much.

AWG 20 goes against recommendation and is something that gets exposed in PSU reviews.

InvalidError

Titan

If you have high current going through loose wiring at 100kHz, you have a massive EMI compliance issue in the making, not to mention the voltage drop from having hundreds of nanohenries worth of parasitic inductance. The wires are useless for high speed transients, that's why sufficient bypassing to absorb them is necessary at both ends.

Another detail to keep in mind: when measuring current with a current transformer, you add parasitic inductance to the wires you are measuring and this will alter the resonant circuit formed by the capacitors at both ends of the wires, the wires in the loop and the current transformer. This high-Q resonant circuit may cause high current ringing that wouldn't be there or would be of much lesser magnitude under normal operating conditions.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Tell this the stupid idiots in the SI business. Low-cost on each edge. The end-user market is really small in comparison to this PC assemblers. Take a look in such tin cans and you will be shocked :D But exactly these low-cost manufacturers are the best customers for the 480 reference.

@InvalidError:
The VR is switching up to 200 KHz. Ok, a lot is filtered, but it is a fact that a VGA card produces a very fast switching current. I was in FSP groups R&D and safety lab two years ago and we measured this currents (because they proofed my measurings, seen in our reviews). Alls this data were the reason to change the PSU design and to change also the models of their secondary caps.

virajk

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
Can we expect non-reference boards to solve the issue ? Will the future reference boards solve the issue as well ?

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I hope that AMDs partners will do it right (and better). But we have no info about the availability of these cards. We were not able to order one sample, nothing. And a lot of companies are not focussed on the RX 480. That means: no media samples yet from Gigabyte, MSI and others. :(

rnewton8

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
I dont know where all these people are getting that enabling compatibility mode with RX 480 only yields a small 3% performance hit. I have a rx 480 and enabling compatibility mode causes a massive performance hit. I went from 10k in firestrike to 7k, so thats closer to 30%, not 3%. With comp mode turned off and new driver, performance is the same

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Firestrike isn't a game, it is a "power virus". As higher the permanent load as lower the performance. In a normal game you have a lot of load level changes and you will not mention such a big difference :)

Wow, that's a hit. Rough rule of thumb, doubling the power gives 30% performance, so your performance hit of 30% is comparable to cutting the power load to the card in half. Very strange.

10K is what other pre-compatibility mode reviews were seeing, so your results are consistent that way. Interesting.

mluppov

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
For some reason not a single word about overclocking, which is obviously not an option here. Actually we know the reason why they did not mention overclocking, do we? "Sponsored" by AMD. The card is a total failure. At the very least they could have acknowledge this and offer refund/replacement. But no, they chose to act pretty much like nvidia does by pretending nothing really happened. I wonder if they continue selling these messed up cards. In any case now when GTX 1060 came out, only a total fool will buy RX 480.

Status
Not open for further replies.