News AMD's next Zen 5 CPU could be a desktop-like 115W chip in a mobile form factor — Ryzen Strix Halo spotted with 16 cores and RDNA 3.5 iGPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

kealii123

Proper
Nov 3, 2023
The Asus Gaming tablet is the Z13, not the X13. The X13 is their 13" clamshell.

Also, can we get a link to the rumored new X13/Z13?

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Sounds compelling for those who have to have a gaming laptop. But I am pretty certain I will never pay for another gaming laptop in my lifetime. The two purchases I made were worthless within a year both times. They just simply do not have enough power to keep up with future releases.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
One of the slides indicates that AMD's Strix Halo will come in a 37.5 mm × 45 mm package called FP11, precisely the size of an Intel processor in an LGA1700 form factor.
Perhaps this should be the size of AM6 (with quad-channel memory support, of course).

zsydeepsky

Great
Oct 12, 2023
would say another interesting part might be that 256bit memory bus, somewhere else on the internet I saw a leaked spec images says it has 500G/s bandwidth, which made me wonder if it also supports 4-channel RAM.
if so, besides the benefit to the iGPU, it could also make Strix Halo a cheap alternative for Threadripper platform if you need to run some memory-heavy tasks.

Jun 24, 2024
Sounds compelling for those who have to have a gaming laptop. But I am pretty certain I will never pay for another gaming laptop in my lifetime. The two purchases I made were worthless within a year both times. They just simply do not have enough power to keep up with future releases.
If I were to get something that has this chip in it I'd probably use it for running relatively modest / obscure games locally and relying on something like Geforce Now for anything more demanding going forward. Have to see if they pair it with an OLED on something like a Zephyrus or what sort of outputs will be supported on Mini-Pc's etc...

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
would say another interesting part might be that 256bit memory bus, somewhere else on the internet I saw a leaked spec images says it has 500G/s bandwidth, which made me wonder if it also supports 4-channel RAM.
if so, besides the benefit to the iGPU, it could also make Strix Halo a cheap alternative for Threadripper platform if you need to run some memory-heavy tasks.
Yes, 256-bit (quad-channel) is old news. Although some cheaper variants might only support 128-bit.

As a budget Threadripper alternative, it could be interesting. With DIMMs/CAMMs, at least 192-256 GB ought to be possible, if not more. Getting proper ECC support could be harder, depends on the motherboard, right?

zsydeepsky

Great
Oct 12, 2023
Getting proper ECC support could be harder, depends on the motherboard, right?
I thought DDR5 standards already included some ECC features, though not as good as REG ECC that are used on servers, but should be as good as regular workstations.

so...a mobile workstation :unsure:

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
I thought DDR5 standards already included some ECC features, though not as good as REG ECC that are used on servers, but should be as good as regular workstations.

so...a mobile workstation :unsure:
DDR5 includes an internal ECC that shouldn't be compared to real ECC support, which is still optional and probably requires another chip on modules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR5_SDRAM#Features
Unlike DDR4, all DDR5 chips have on-die error-correction code, that detects and corrects errors before sending data to the CPU, to improve reliability and allow denser RAM chips which lowers per-chip defect rate. However, on-die error-correction code is not the same as true ECC memory with extra data correction chips on the memory module. There still exists non-ECC and ECC DDR5 DIMM variants; ECC variants have extra data lines to the CPU to send error-detection data, letting the CPU detect and correct errors occurring in transit.

I don't even know what the story is with LPDDR5(X) or (LP)CAMM.

sdedalus83

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
LPDDR5 can be configured for 16 or 32 bit channels. AMD is probably using a 32 bit configuration with 8 channels. The 500GB/s figure is probably “effective” bandwidth in conjunction with the 32MB cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.