AMD's Phenom II X4 TWKR: We Give It The LN2 Treatment

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazz

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
Fantastic article I will never be able to do that so reading and seeing the results realy was a plus for me. I will not do any overclocking with anything either then air ( MY choice ) But I still applord the people who do venture into the cold depts or water, LN2, and Helium to bring out the results to achieve a record the same with case and computer Moders if you have the imagenation to try something new or different go for it
I look forward to the next OC with the four GPU's
I curently have 2 4850 1ghx and intend to get two more after I buy a new Phenom 11 x4 955 On air in an aluminium case sitting on a Brown Built steal desk with 4 120 fans and an extreem cpu cooler
But that is MY experiment or medification AGAIN WELL DONE
Gazz

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]sighQ2[/nom]Vote me down. hahahaThis was all done b4 - Dec 08. Vids on utube. w PhII 940. THG is late to the game due to spintel bias. again. (well look it up if you don't know).Nice lame flames from the dark spintel fanboys here. You guys really have a way with word slurs.Note also - the "real oclox team" uses "AMD Platform Advantage" re "performance boost" ! (hint) Usually THG mixes in some nvidiot vidcard so as to impair the system. (not to mention the sick ram they often find under the bench).Overall this is no big deal - just another "keep me hangin on" trick. Phenom II's you can actually buy have already demo'd in excess of 7 GHZ - 2 months ago !! - this is a waste of TWKR !!Oh, almost forgot - the bit about "real game" benches don't matter - ummm, really - oclox while still performing does not matter? - what if the oclox slows down actual THROUGHPUT. What then? Think maybe you should test that? If you can't afford to run in the oclox kitchen cos it costs too much - then get out of it - it's all been done before anyway.Sorry - this is so unimpressive - ok - you can vote me down now - cos I know too much. I am not impressed with continuing biased reporting aimed at down-rating AMD (or minimizing accomplishment). (And yes, the EU really did set a fine record re an7i7rus7 - more coming on that? That's news of an ongoing nature). This cold oclox is ancient history.And some said about 955 can't - my buddy has 955 @ 4.1 on H2O - it was an accident in AOD - his mouse slipped and he hit 4.1 instead of 4.0. Others hit 3.6+ with just the multiplier. Others undervolt (?) (!) and stable, for power savings.Also you want to look at "OCZ ram for AMD cpu's" (the platinum, of course). But all the PhII's do in excess of 3.5 om air anyway - what's the big deal with these can't perform spintel fanboys - lmao.ok - thx for the vote down later.[/citation]
I think even BaronMatrix would puke at this.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
wow, the picture of quad 4890s sure is intimidating!

it took me a few seconds to find the 4th one, had to notice that the picture wasnt takin from an angle

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]jitpublisher[/nom]Interesting article, really. I actually had not heard about these processors until now. Thanks for something fun Tom's. Enjoyed this one.[/citation]

Welcome! I'm sure the Team IRONMODs guys will appreciate your feedback as well :)

G

ok the benchmarks are very nice but running that thing overclocked 24/7 would be way better. i'd love to see long term overclock through peltier + water.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
I guess we have to wait for the next article, which seems odd in itself.

Since 940 etc have already broken 6 ghz and 7 ghz, there is no amazement here - yet. For TWKR to show off it has to beat 7 Ghz - of course 7 ghz was reached on helium not ln2. Still 6.5 was on ln2.

I am just saying that this, so far, is nothing new - just a teaser.

But thanx for voting me down - I don't think I have ever hit -11 before.

I am a serious AMD fan. I recently designed my own system, and then posted something in a forum here, and now all the components for my system are sold out (on the site where I shop). There was a question, that I was able to clarify, re specs - now it's sold out. I guess I wait for the next shipment - o well, I like future proofing anyway.

I apologize for being so apparently rude - I don't mean to troll. That's not my message.

It's just that these big oclox are "old news" - unless TWKR adds some new records. And I hope it does, since it is a special exclusive (non)release. But the entire Phenom II launch was hyped with oclox parties since 12/08 - with non-cherry-picked cpu's you can buy - what can I say? Utube has vids on these events. starring AMD's "Mackie".

haha - so go ahead and vote me up to +11 :)

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
yah, not any real record broke yet sighQ2. I watched the phenom II 940 video that was overclocked with helium on AMD's website and that had the holding record of 3Dmark05 of 45000 points. unless the $1000 TWKR can beat that, its not anything new or special...

but i wouldnt mind to win one, keep it on a nice shelf as a collectible (or just sell it for some $$$)

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]rambo117[/nom]yah, not any real record broke yet sighQ2. I watched the phenom II 940 video that was overclocked with helium on AMD's website and that had the holding record of 3Dmark05 of 45000 points. unless the $1000 TWKR can beat that, its not anything new or special...but i wouldnt mind to win one, keep it on a nice shelf as a collectible (or just sell it for some $$$)[/citation]

Bear in mind that the Phenom II overclocked on AMD's Web site was also a hand-picked high-leakage part. Basically, they're just giving a name to these golden samples that they've been using to break records with up until now.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
What I don't understand is why rig the Gigabyte board to run Quad Crossfire? Why not just switch it with a MSI 790FX-GD70? The MSI board has shown to be a pretty good overclocking board and would not need to be gerry-rigged to run Quad Crossfire.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]sighQ2[/nom]It's just that these big oclox are "old news" - unless TWKR adds some new records.[/citation]
While that may be true, TWKR was still under NDA until recently (you'll notice that many sites published an article the other day about them), which means this "special" CPU is still "new." I don't see how this is really "spintel" stuff as your first post was bent on convincing us of.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
ahh, if only the TWKR could match the P4's 10ghz OC (or nine i dont remember) :p

(and yes, yes, i know that the pentium 4 is single core)

Posting this to correct what playerone wrote. Im not a super geek when it comes to pc's but I have been using AMD and Intel chips for more than 10 years and I have never seen a thread where someone states that the 955 is actually slower than the 940. Makes absolutely no sense knowing the 955 has a DDR3 controller and in any and all benchmarks the 955 has destroyed the 940, overclocked or stock the 940 trails the 955 and that's a fact. Go to overclockers club if you want some proof...

I have a 955 @ 4.3GHZ stable on water using a swiftech system and danger den blocks. I also own a 940 and it was not stable at all if pushed beyond 4.1Ghz, 4.5 was achievable on DRY ICE but im not into that kind of benchmarking I just game. The motherboard im using is an MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 and 4x 2GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 as far as the 955 goes.

Would be nice if this chip was on sale, no fun if only 100 are made and you have a 99.9% chance of never gettin your hands on one... AMD has something up its sleeve. Hopefully something to compete with the i7...

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]royalcrown[/nom]Wow, drag racing a cpu while running nothing really interesting on it...retarded ! What's next, my monitor is brighter than your monitor ?[/citation]

So...are you just an Intel fanboy or retarded? I figure a little bit of both.

Extreme (

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]royalcrown[/nom]Wow, drag racing a cpu while running nothing really interesting on it...retarded ! What's next, my monitor is brighter than your monitor ?[/citation]
That's the whole point of these CPUs...

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
@randomizer
There's just always something in the point of view - it's a very long ranting story. Double standards, slight of hand in test setups, obvious advantage/disad, obvious bias - you really have to watch for it, and maybe be somewhat "educated to see it", or realize how common it is. Look up google "scientia's blog" for a mind-blowing education. And the recent EU antitrust decision, read the actual details of the decision. There's a lot of misinformation, dysinformation, and out of place (OT) comments in articles. The marketing team is devoted to destruction - 'spin'. and deception of the uninformed. (victims = the public).
AMD is a very different company based in collaboration. spintel is profit at all cost to anybody. It's easy to see if you are open to seeing it. And then if you get educated in how they do it - wow - you see it everywhere. 80% market is not enough. Chase those refs I mentioned, or goto the Zone for an education - I used to hang there; not any more tho. That AMD competes at all is amazing when you know what the background is. If the compilers and the proggy code were neutral, the bencheez would be all different - sad that it's like that. I will never support spintel.
But that's already enough of that stuff.

I read a review of this TWKR on Legit Reviews today - that chat w AMD guy who said to expect only +100 mhz on air, and +200 mhz on extreme chill. They had it up to 6.5 Ghz with I think 1.48v. And they broke 4 on air w the multiplier - I forget the details so I won't say more.

The guy also said there is a lot of misinformation about soon coming 965 - not sure what that means; but it's all getting more interesting.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
@sighQ2
Even as fan of AMD, I still think your coming off as a bit crazy. Like a conspiracy theorist. Yes, Intel is evil and spreading mis-information and doing under-handed dealings with software developers. But given enough testing, results are results. Sure, an F1 car will be quicker around a racing circuit than a Bugatti Veyron, but the Veyron is still the faster car in a straight line, given the space to do so. And a Chevy Cobalt SS does the cone slalom and emergency lane change quicker than a Corvette, because it is smaller and more maneuverable, even if it isn't necessarily a better overall performer. So long as an Intel chip can continue to post better scores than an AMD chip, regardless of how or why, it will be considered the faster all-around chip.
As for using nVidia cards on AMD test platforms, there are a few factors: 1. consistency; in any scientific experiment comparing two objects, substances, etc., you want as few variables to change between the two testing environments as possible. 2. Consistency. If they want to compare to older tests run in the past, they have to use the same setup as they have already used. 3. I would suggest reading this article from February discussing a similar topic on platform-favoritism (does the GPU really matter?) and while the cards discussed then are hardly top-of-the-line now, the same or similar issues may still exist. We won't know until they try, which given their past record, isn't entirely likely nor unlikely. They've listened to reader requests in the past, so maybe they'll listen in the future. Though I do tend to agree in that Tom's does show some bias towards nVidia cards over ATi, it should also be said that each has their merits and demerits, often finding slight favor in performance with nVidia over ATi on the whole.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is, stop being so paranoid. Whoever is on top is on top because they worked for it (not necessarily earned it, mind you), no matter how dishonorably. That's just how capitalism works. Sure, you can bash Intel all you want, they're the bad guys, AMD is the underdog, but Intel offers more overall performance than AMD can currently, so AMD just aims for performance-per-dollar and hopes to compete where it really counts - the mainstream.

need4speeds

Distinguished
Just to see i ran 3dmark03' and got 39,517 3d marks
x2-6000windsor@3.16,arctic silver5 and stock cooler,512mb 4870@765/930 2x1mb ddr2-667 for 2mb dual channel, msi k9nu neo,nvidia m1697/uli
To get 1/3 is better than my specs would suggest. There must still be some bottlenecks with the chipset or hard drives. I run my os on one drive and my program folder on another drive, also i was running amd's fusion program and 32 bit win xp pro. my drives are partitioned forcing windows to use the fastest part of the drive.
There must be some limits with cpu cores and how much extra cards help. Maybe with some newer chipsets there will be some bigger speed jumps?

mazi

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
hi
that 's amazing article !
i have 2 question about quad-gpu setup , first what's motherboard you used inthis pic ?
and how you install fourth gpu card without pci-express slot ?
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.