News AMD's Radeon 780M integrated graphics get close to GTX 1650 in Geekbench 6 — Ryzen 7 8700G iGPU benchmark leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
The IGP is rather powerful, but still being held back by memory bandwidth. The modifications from 6400 to 7500 on the ROG Ally have seen almost linear performance increase. I wouldn't really expect these to be very fast in actual gaming. Maybe GTX 1060 6GB when paired with fast memory (basing this on the mobile chips which are slightly slower than a 1060).

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
The IGP is rather powerful, but still being held back by memory bandwidth. The modifications from 6400 to 7500 on the ROG Ally have seen almost linear performance increase. I wouldn't really expect these to be very fast in actual gaming. Maybe GTX 1060 6GB when paired with fast memory (basing this on the mobile chips which are slightly slower than a 1060).
If you can get 780M graphics to 1080p60, you made it. That's the only target that matters for this APU.

Amdlova

Distinguished
People are out of control. Pay premium for better ram to get some fps on a premium apu? You can get a i3 and a 1660 super (used) and a motherboard for the price of this amd cpu :)

If you can get 780M graphics to 1080p60, you made it. That's the only target that matters for this APU.
You mostly likely won't though (just look at the Ally/Legion Go as a loose example) and you have to buy the highest end APU to get the 780M (probably $300-350). Then you have to get some DDR5 7600+ running on it and you'll still end up with much less performance than if you just bought a Ryzen 5 7600 + RX 6600 + DDR5 6000 for the same price.

This is why I find the current state of APUs and the best graphics only appearing on the highest end SKU to be disappointing. The positive is that at least it's a market AMD is operating in as opposed to Intel who doesn't have socketed CPUs with better IGP.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
You mostly likely won't though (just look at the Ally/Legion Go as a loose example) and you have to buy the highest end APU to get the 780M (probably $300-350). Then you have to get some DDR5 7600+ running on it and you'll still end up with much less performance than if you just bought a Ryzen 5 7600 + RX 6600 + DDR5 6000 for the same price.

This is why I find the current state of APUs and the best graphics only appearing on the highest end SKU to be disappointing. The positive is that at least it's a market AMD is operating in as opposed to Intel who doesn't have socketed CPUs with better IGP.
8700G runs into the problem of offering most of the CPU performance of a currently $300 Ryzen 7 7700, and then adding a nice iGPU on top of that. AMD can set the MSRP at $350 and get away with it until the AMDiscounts kick in.

Only Strix Halo can make APU gaming truly exciting, but it will have its own problems (like being comparable to other 16-cores, not being socketed, and being a 2025+ product).

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023

This is assuming that Ryzen 8000G will support faster than DDR5 6000.
Hopefully it does, but RAM speed has never been a strong point with AMD desktop CPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.