AMD's Radeon HD 4770 Specs Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarpa

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
If Ati doesn't gain market share given its superior performance per dollar then the consumers must be retarded.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
[citation][nom]scarpa[/nom]If Ati doesn't gain market share given its superior performance per dollar then the consumers must be retarded.[/citation]

Not really. Look at most ATI cards and see the single year warranty. Look at most Nvidia cards and see liftime warranty. Sure, Asus and Sapphire have more then a year and XFX does lifetime for its ATI cards, but most manufactures (less expensive ones) keep to a horrible warranty. Either that or the possible consumers of ATI products have had experiences with HIS products... that might keep them away from any ATI product forever.

sciggy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
I currently have a VisionTek 4870x2 and it has a lifetime warranty. My biggest gripe has been with drivers. I had a 9800 pro back in the day and the drivers were terrible, seems to be the same case here with the latest versions coming out. Inbetween those two cards, I had an EVGA 7900gtko(also lifetime warranty) and never had a single driver problem. I would update the driver and it would WORK instead of having to coax the computer into working with the ATI update. Other than drivers, I've been very happy with my ATI cards.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
[citation][nom]hairycat101[/nom]Not really. Look at most ATI cards and see the single year warranty. Look at most Nvidia cards and see liftime warranty. Sure, Asus and Sapphire have more then a year and XFX does lifetime for its ATI cards, but most manufactures (less expensive ones) keep to a horrible warranty. Either that or the possible consumers of ATI products have had experiences with HIS products... that might keep them away from any ATI product forever.[/citation]
But what you fail to recognize is the fact that the vast majority of consumers of these products are gaming enthusiasts. The median upgrade cycle for gaming enthusiasts is probably ~18 months (estimation). And while I can't argue the warranty may help sell the cards, it probably shouldn't be a strong consideration given the frequency of upgrades (save for resale value of the few companies that offer double-lifetime warranty).

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I don’t have any excitement for these inferior cards….

-the 4770 pairs with the 9800GTX, which was released when? A year ago? I just don’t see how anyone would care except for the $99 price tag.

MrBradley

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]I don’t have any excitement for these inferior cards….-the 4770 pairs with the 9800GTX, which was released when? A year ago? I just don’t see how anyone would care except for the $99 price tag.[/citation]

Im pretty sure that the 4770 will have many more benefits than the 9800 GTX+. Lower power consumption, lower price tag, better performance actually...I might consider looking into this card.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
the thing that keeps me away from ati is the need to install .net framework just to install the drivers .... i don`t want to be forced to install that just for the drivers.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
[citation][nom]KyleSTL[/nom]But what you fail to recognize is the fact that the vast majority of consumers of these products are gaming enthusiasts. The median upgrade cycle for gaming enthusiasts is probably ~18 months (estimation). And while I can't argue the warranty may help sell the cards, it probably shouldn't be a strong consideration given the frequency of upgrades (save for resale value of the few companies that offer double-lifetime warranty).[/citation]

Good points. I personally like to have long warranties because I might use the card on a family members computer (who may not game as hard core). It helps to know I have good quality under the hood. Only other reason to favor Nvidia, that I can think of is the PhysX. An old card could be converted to a PhysX card. Can't do that with ATI.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]...I just don’t see how anyone would care except for the $99 price tag.[/citation]Perhaps you don't see because you're American (just guessing)? :)
Apparently, some people have no problem burning electricity needlessly.
The less the consumption of electricity the less fossil fuels burned in power plants (and also the less your electricity bill).
This card is not really suited for a serious gaming rig but it may be actually a good choice for entertainment/HT PCs where it can provide enough power for casual gaming (and high quality HD video postprocessing) without hogging lot of power and overheating. I'm definitely looking forward to cards like this, much more appealing than this GTX 2** stuff, 1kW power supplies and similar nonsense.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

Fair enough. Capabilities are definitely a selling point, and I can certainly understand the argument for technological hand-me-downs.

I hate these generalized statements. I'm an American and I am always considering power consumption. I'm proud my highly-capable HTPC idles at 84W at the plug. The 'it's popular to have an anti-American sentiment' is getting really old.

nikolica

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
the 40nm Radeon HD 4770 utilizes GDDR5 memory (512 MB, 128-bit) and provides 1960 GFLOPs of processing power;

1960 GFLOPs?

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Hey times are tough a cheap upgrade doesnt hurt.I bought a 1gb 4670 couple months back to get rid of a 8600gts that kept giving me artifacts and random lockups(and this is after 3 RMA's to XFX).The card plays anything i throw at it better than the 8600gts including GTA 4 at 1680x1050 and i got it for less than half what i paid for the 8600gts,including shipping and freight.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Yep - I'm not an enthusaist by any means and I couldnt' care less about manufacturer warranty. First off, I buy from newegg so they take care of things when things go wrong. Second, after purchasing one of the first 1GB 4870s available, I immediately voided the warranty by putting an after-market cooler on it.

Second, the PhysX point braught up by KyleSTL. If you are buying these for folks that aren't going to be doing hardcore gaming, then they ahve absolutelty no use for PhysX anyway. Second, if you DO care about PhysX, then you should be going for a higher end card anyway. Third, physX support is horrible in games (I think mirrors edge is the most advanced one yet) for NOW, by the time its actually worth having, you'll be upgrading to a new card. And finally, AMD has its own physics engine - just don't exactly remember what its called now - there was an article about it just last week... But again, a moot point because no games actually make good use of it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

wikiwikiwhat

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation]
I hate these generalized statements. I'm an American and I am always considering power consumption. I'm proud my highly-capable HTPC idles at 84W at the plug. The 'it's popular to have an anti-American sentiment' is getting really old.[/citation]

Hey, don't let them get you down. Remember, anyone who uses this site outside of the US has a small country. That means they do not have a broad scope of ethnic knowledge that we do as we are the melting pot and still have immigrants coming to America from their countries. They do not think beyond their walls. Yes, I have been to Europe, Japan, Korea, Australia, Phillippines and Iraq so I've been outside my country. Japan ain't bad at all. Europe....man, that place needs a good mildew remover over the entire continent. Australia, however, needs to keep having hot girls...do not stop. Phillippines, started being great until someone landed on its shores centuries ago.

This is a perspective of a red-meat eating, beer guzzling, very patriotic American. There is not a whole lot of that going around...(sarcasm)

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
[citation][nom]gnesterenko[/nom]Yep - I'm not an enthusaist by any means and I couldnt' care less about manufacturer warranty. First off, I buy from newegg so they take care of things when things go wrong. Second, after purchasing one of the first 1GB 4870s available, I immediately voided the warranty by putting an after-market cooler on it. Second, the PhysX point braught up by KyleSTL. If you are buying these for folks that aren't going to be doing hardcore gaming, then they ahve absolutelty no use for PhysX anyway. Second, if you DO care about PhysX, then you should be going for a higher end card anyway. Third, physX support is horrible in games (I think mirrors edge is the most advanced one yet) for NOW, by the time its actually worth having, you'll be upgrading to a new card. And finally, AMD has its own physics engine - just don't exactly remember what its called now - there was an article about it just last week... But again, a moot point because no games actually make good use of it."The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."[/citation]

First: If your going to cite someone, cite the right person.

Second: The comment about PhsyX was about having a secondary use for old cards. The idea here wasn't to put and old card that can run PhysX and an old card that can run graphics into a family member's computer, but to have a choice as to what to do with an older, upper end card.

Third: ATI recently showcased their cards running Havoc. Havoc is an Intel property (NOT ATI'S). Also, only special "showcase" programs use Havoc on the GPU; there are NO games that use GPU power for Havoc. I know you mentioned that no games make use of it, but I wanted to emphasize the fact that the only physics program that runs on a GPU is PhysX.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]martel80[/nom]Perhaps you don't see because you're American (just guessing)? Apparently, some people have no problem burning electricity needlessly.The less the consumption of electricity the less fossil fuels burned in power plants (and also the less your electricity bill).This card is not really suited for a serious gaming rig but it may be actually a good choice for entertainment/HT PCs where it can provide enough power for casual gaming (and high quality HD video postprocessing) without hogging lot of power and overheating. I'm definitely looking forward to cards like this, much more appealing than this GTX 2** stuff, 1kW power supplies and similar nonsense.[/citation]
SAVE THE WHALES!
Give me a break, racist eurotrash.

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Something to remember about lifetime warranty's is you need to read the fine print. Is it Product life or Human Life. Sometimes a products "life" is pretty short. As some have said new egg is pretty good about returns. I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer because I don't buy the latest and greatest, however I still usually upgrade my graphics card everyone 1.5 - 2 years. I made the mistake of buying an 8800 GTS a year and a half ago the 320 mb version with the older GPU, two weeks after I had purchased "the latest and greatest" Nvidia came out with the 8800 GT which blew my 8800 GTS out of the water in terms of performance.

This time around I'm waiting for these new cards to come out so that the 4870 drops even more in price, because I cringe at the thought of ever spending 300$+ on a graphics card again.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]the thing that keeps me away from ati is the need to install .net framework just to install the drivers .... i don`t want to be forced to install that just for the drivers.[/citation]
A lot of programs under windows require some form of it (not all but a good amount). I wouldn't worry about having to install it when it most likely already is.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]hairycat101[/nom]Also, only special "showcase" programs use Havoc on the GPU; there are NO games that use GPU power for Havoc. I know you mentioned that no games make use of it, but I wanted to emphasize the fact that the only physics program that runs on a GPU is PhysX.[/citation]
This in my mind is the problem with PhysX and why Havok has been used so successfully. How often are GPUs maxed out compared to CPUs? The fact that Havok is so flexible and that any x86 (or even PowerPC architecture I believe) device can run it) and actually gives these overpowered CPUs of today something to do is a benefit. ATI and Nvidia are doing nothing more than keeping pace with today's games. It would be nice to buy something (like CPUs are now) that will last a long time (like you could with a Core 2 Q6600, which is still ahead of the curve for processing power) and not have it taxed by tomorrow's games. The last thing we need is for the GPU to be loaded down anymore than they are.

[citation][nom]martel80[/nom]Perhaps you don't see because you're American (just guessing)? Apparently, some people have no problem burning electricity needlessly.[/citation]
Being American has nothing to do with it. Bottom line is it costs money to go green. I have an HD3850 that I am happy with, it suits me fine for now. I would be saving electricity by going with the HD4770 for sure, but them I would fall under the category of wasteful spending and consuming extra material resources. If you have a car that is five years or older, just go out and buy a new one, you'll save gasoline/petrol and and have a much smaller footprint on the environment. It isn't as easy being "green" as some environmentalists make it out to be is it?

x3nophon

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
[citation][nom]deathblooms2k1[/nom]Something to remember about lifetime warranty's is you need to read the fine print. Is it Product life or Human Life. Sometimes a products "life" is pretty short. As some have said new egg is pretty good about returns. I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer because I don't buy the latest and greatest, however I still usually upgrade my graphics card everyone 1.5 - 2 years. I made the mistake of buying an 8800 GTS a year and a half ago the 320 mb version with the older GPU, two weeks after I had purchased "the latest and greatest" Nvidia came out with the 8800 GT which blew my 8800 GTS out of the water in terms of performance. This time around I'm waiting for these new cards to come out so that the 4870 drops even more in price, because I cringe at the thought of ever spending 300$+ on a graphics card again.[/citation]

I bought my 8800 GTS 320mb the same time you did. So I too am looking to buy a new card. Unfortunately the GTS only needed a 450W PSU but the higher end 1gb cards now require more than that. The best I can do is 1gb 4850. I think that should keep me going for another year, hopefully two. I hope the Radeon 4890 causes a price a little price drop. Well at least theres no way I can get burned as bad as I did last time...

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
@ Matt_B

I wasn't arguing for PhysX over Havok. Some games do, in fact, use PhysX and the eye-candy for those games is a bonus if you have an old card laying around that can bring it out. That is it. That is all. That is the only point I was making concerning PhysX. While we are on the topic, though, some big name developers are starting to look at PhysX more and more. Who knows... it may die out or might gain in popularity.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
[citation][nom]hairycat101[/nom]Not really. Look at most ATI cards and see the single year warranty. Look at most Nvidia cards and see liftime warranty. Sure, Asus and Sapphire have more then a year and XFX does lifetime for its ATI cards, but most manufactures (less expensive ones) keep to a horrible warranty. Either that or the possible consumers of ATI products have had experiences with HIS products... that might keep them away from any ATI product forever.[/citation]

WTF are babbling about?

I have seen plenty of poor quality trash come out a factory with an nvidia chip in it.

Hell my last nvidia card started going out on me. (thanks evga)
My 9800XT is alive and kicking over 5 years later while my 7800GT barely made it past 2.

Ohh and jaton, zotac, sparkle and ecs.

[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]I don’t have any excitement for these inferior cards….-the 4770 pairs with the 9800GTX, which was released when? A year ago? I just don’t see how anyone would care except for the $99 price tag.[/citation]

Technically the 9800GTX came out a long time ago, considering it's the same thing as the 8800 GTS 512 (G92). This is all about price points though. ATI is trying to capture the inexpensive gaming card slot with this $99 4770, since they are comparing it with the 9800GT.

Where the problem could come in, is that we may find ourselves with so many different video card models that you can spend $5 to $10 more and get the next step up, then $5-$10 more for the next step, etc. And with the already bad trend of naming schemes in this market, we could find more and more confused consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.