News AMD's Radeon RX 6700 XT Spotted With 12GB GDDR6 Memory

Ok, let me be the first commenting..
In normal situation, this would be quite interesting news, as I might be interested on such (more modest) graphic card. But as it is, it's the same as writing about discovery that there might be a little oxygen on planet Pluto.
It's impossible to find any 6000 series graphic card in middle Europe.. and if it happens you find some, one can only laugh about prices. And interesting, same is true for previous generation of graphic cards.
Next news please...

Reactions: Why_Me and artk2219

VTXcnME

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
All these articles about the 6000 series cards are just hot air. So many mainstream users are unable to get their hands on them. Unless you plan to pay double or more their retail price from a scalper. This would be laughable if it wasn't so preventable.

I'm really hoping at some point all these retail websites institute captcha requirements, in some fashion, prior to checkout. Not on all products, but certainly NEW products that are certain to draw significant interest from scalper markets. Bots can't scoop up thousands of market ready cards on a whim (or at least it's a bit harder), only to hold them hostage for double their value. Maybe place order limits.... who knows... common sense things. But at the end of the day, manufacturers and retailers don't care who buys their product..... they sold their product, and that's all that matters to them, right? :mad:

4 months into launch for some of these products and I am no closer to having a new CPU/GPU. But all these units have been shipped.... sure. What a joke the 6000 series Radeon, 3000 series NVidia, and 5000 series Ryzen launches have been. Color me a touch frustrated at this point.

Reactions: Why_Me and artk2219
All these articles about the 6000 series cards are just hot air. So many mainstream users are unable to get their hands on them. Unless you plan to pay double or more their retail price from a scalper. This would be laughable if it wasn't so preventable.

I'm really hoping at some point all these retail websites institute captcha requirements, in some fashion, prior to checkout. Not on all products, but certainly NEW products that are certain to draw significant interest from scalper markets. Bots can't scoop up thousands of market ready cards on a whim (or at least it's a bit harder), only to hold them hostage for double their value. Maybe place order limits.... who knows... common sense things. But at the end of the day, manufacturers and retailers don't care who buys their product..... they sold their product, and that's all that matters to them, right? :mad:

4 months into launch for some of these products and I am no closer to having a new CPU/GPU. But all these units have been shipped.... sure. What a joke the 6000 series Radeon, 3000 series NVidia, and 5000 series Ryzen launches have been. Color me a touch frustrated at this point.

I remember the Polaris / Pascal times. I had just gotten myself a reference RX480/8Gb, a few weeks after it had come out. I was getting laughed at for not waiting for the OEM ones...
Then Mining started.
I actually hesitated to sell my card for a hundred bucks MORE than I had paid for it.

I still have it. I'd like to replace it, but I won't spend more than 300 euros on a GPU. You can expect me to preorder a 6700 as soon as it's announced, as long as it's at MSRP.

VTXcnME

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
I remember the Polaris / Pascal times. I had just gotten myself a reference RX480/8Gb, a few weeks after it had come out. I was getting laughed at for not waiting for the OEM ones...
Then Mining started.
I actually hesitated to sell my card for a hundred bucks MORE than I had paid for it.

I still have it. I'd like to replace it, but I won't spend more than 300 euros on a GPU. You can expect me to preorder a 6700 as soon as it's announced, as long as it's at MSRP.

I remember those times. Thankfully I was between builds. I'd finished out one in 2012 and my next build wasn't until 2016. Now I'm in my next replacement cycle, trying to build a new rig. My 1800x cpu and RX580 GPU are getting older, GPU especially. I've been waiting anxiously since the 6000 series GPU's were announced. The 1800x processor still does okay, but I can tell it's lugging a little during multi-app sessions. Either way... I won't be spending scalper prices to replace them. Meanwhile, I have a case/power supply/RAM/motherboard/etc sitting off in the corner just waiting for the CPU/GPU.

Just frustrating to know there's stock coming out and being bought up immediately by scalpers. I don't see any change in the pattern in this 6700 series release. They'll be bought up by scalpers looking to make a quick buck. The longer this goes on, the more folks are going to get frustrated. Unfortunately, I've seen a fair number of people getting impatient and buying the scalped stock, which allows them to buy up more and perpetuate the process. I'd like nothing more than the scalpers to get stuck holding thousands (or in some cases I've read) tens of thousands of dollars of stock they can't move. That'd put a nice end to that nightmare. But, it is what it is I suppose. They can't buy them all.

artk2219

Distinguished
This looks like we'll finally get a proper replacement for the RX 480\580\590 (barring the 5500xt, which i guess was more of a compliment than replacement). Problem is, im sure its going to be priced much higher, displacing the RX 5700's, and it wont matter since they wont be in stock until the latter half of the year anyway. Still, something to look forward to in Q3 \ Q4 2021 and 2022?

This looks like we'll finally get a proper replacement for the RX 480\580\590 (barring the 5500xt, which i guess was more of a compliment than replacement). Problem is, im sure its going to be priced much higher, displacing the RX 5700's, and it wont matter since they wont be in stock until the latter half of the year anyway. Still, something to look forward to in Q3 \ Q4 2021 and 2022?
The 5500 was a way for AMD to stop making 14/12nm chips and focus on a single architecture instead of keeping up support for any variant of GCN. The main problem with AMD cards is that they stay relevant for a frustratingly long length of time - some times longer than the card itself could bear it.
Case in point, my (reference) RadeonHD 4850 died after 4 years - almost 3 of which it was kept as a THG recommendation.
Then, it was my R9 270X, also after 4 years (itself a rebranding of the HD 7870 and succeeded by the identical but slightly higher clocked R7 370X)... And now my RX 480 is getting on its 5th year. I'm afraid it'll die before I can get it a worthy replacement.