News AMD's Ryzen 4000 APU Powers New Handheld Gaming Console

w_barath

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
This is cool. Overkill, but cool. I'm guessing you can use it as an UCFF PC with cables as well, so this could even be productive lol.

So far though the maker's videos point to early prototypes which appear to use streaming, not an actual working device.

oxenham

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
So it's over 25cm long, has a 7" screen but a resolution of only 1200x800, and it costs $600? somehow I don't think this is going to be a top seller.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
how does this compare to having a smartphone and using a gamepad ?
for people really wanting an x86 handled gaming solution i guess.

funny the comes at the same time as the new AMD embedded CPU's (see the other news on TH) , wich would probably be a better fit for this product.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
So it's over 25cm long, has a 7" screen but a resolution of only 1200x800, and it costs $600? somehow I don't think this is going to be a top seller.

While more expensive this isn't to differnent to the switche's form factor. Sure it has a little more heft but I know as a PC gamer, primarily I do buy/play all the consoles as well, it would interest me. The resolution is expected for something with that amount of horse power. Realistically your not going to be able to play most newer games at more then 720-800P anyways. If the price dropped to 550...I'd be sold. Even if to mess around with it for a few months and then gift it to one of my nieces or nephews.

ChaosFenix

Commendable
Sep 20, 2019
I actually think this form factor would be really good for PC gaming. I would like to several manufacturers standardize the form factor similar to how board manufacturers have different standards. But that way you could have differing hardware that could use the same accessories like docks. Valve could revive their steam machine idea and have this thing run ubuntu or something with steam launching in big picture mode right out of the box. Linux gaming is so much better than it was 5+ years ago. Having this form factor would also give people a reason to buy them unlike old steam machines that were no different than throwing SteamOS on a PC. I could also see these coming from Razer and Asus. Both have decent hardware divisions.

ChaosFenix

Commendable
Sep 20, 2019
I actually think this form factor would be really good for PC gaming. I would like to several manufacturers standardize the form factor similar to how board manufacturers have different standards. But that way you could have differing hardware that could use the same accessories like docks. Valve could revive their steam machine idea and have this thing run ubuntu or something with steam launching in big picture mode right out of the box. Linux gaming is so much better than it was 5+ years ago. Having this form factor would also give people a reason to buy them unlike old steam machines that were no different than throwing SteamOS on a PC. I could also see these coming from Razer and Asus. Both have decent hardware divisions.

TRENDING THREADS