News AMD's StoreMI V2 Ups Support, 400-Series AMD Chipsets Added

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Fancycache has allowed me to do this and more for years. Fancycache allows me to have a RAM cache for my SSD and an SSD as a cache for ALL my hard drives. Nvelo Dataplex allowed me to pair my SSD and HDD 10 years ago. way late to the party here AMD.

USAFRet

Titan
"StoreMI V2 addresses the problem by moving to a caching system, which copies all data from the slower drive to the faster drive. That means there are two copies of any data held in the SSD. This lowers your storage capacity for the StoreMI volume to the size of the slower drive, however this solution is far safer because it's bulletproof if your StoreMI virtual partition gets corrupted – you will still have a copy of the data on the slower drive. "

Oh good grief.
Just go all SSD, and institute a real backup plan.

"StoreMI V2 addresses the problem by moving to a caching system, which copies all data from the slower drive to the faster drive. That means there are two copies of any data held in the SSD. This lowers your storage capacity for the StoreMI volume to the size of the slower drive, however this solution is far safer because it's bulletproof if your StoreMI virtual partition gets corrupted – you will still have a copy of the data on the slower drive. "

Oh good grief.

Actually I've used it and it works quite well. I already had a 500GB nvme main boot SSD (Samsung 970 EVO Plus), and a 4TB drive to keep all my data and games on. I added a 1TB WD Black nvme SSD and used it as a caching drive with StormMi. It took awhile to cache and thus far it's only used 22% of the caching drive. This is probably since lately I've only been playing Doom Eternal and occasionally Killing Floor 2, so it hasn't had much of a varied scope of file access. However Doom Eternal loads everything much faster since activating StoreMi.

While I'd love to go purely SSD, it's not always financially feasible. As for a real backup, whether you are using a caching software or not, you definitely need a backup plan. The idea behind this version of StoreMi is that the cached data on the SSD is only a copy, the data is still on the HDD so if for some reason the SSD fails or becomes disconnected, your data is still intact.

I applaud AMD for this software. First off it's free, second off there aren't any artificial limitations on either the HDD or SSD size (Intel I'm looking at you), and lastly it does exactly what it says and performs exactly as they've stated.

Oh good grief.

Sadly not everyone in the world can buy SSD.
I recently did a remote fixing on someones PC and I was shocked. This person was still using an AMD Sempron and had an old 14" CRT monitor, yes CRT. It was a gaming PC, with a Radeon HD 4550 (512MB) and this person just could not buy a flat panel yet, still he enjoyed gaming like everyone else, even with such a modest/oldest/lacking system.

USAFRet

Titan
Sadly not everyone in the world can buy SSD.
I recently did a remote fixing on someones PC and I was shocked. This person was still using an AMD Sempron and had an old 14" CRT monitor, yes CRT. It was a gaming PC, with a Radeon HD 4550 (512MB) and this person just could not buy a flat panel yet, still he enjoyed gaming like everyone else, even with such a modest/oldest/lacking system.
Oh, I agree.
But the price delta between spinning drives and SSD is getting smaller every day.
1TB HDD for $50, or 1TB SSD for $85.

If one is using an SSD to pair with a spinning drive...get a larger SSD.

Oh, I agree.
But the price delta between spinning drives and SSD is getting smaller every day.
1TB HDD for $50, or 1TB SSD for $85.

If one is using an SSD to pair with a spinning drive...get a larger SSD.

Yes it is finally, and its very true for US, Canada, some countries in Europe, Japan, etc, but sadly for South America tech parts prices are all over the place (we are really slowly starting to see some price adjustments in the storage deparments).
It sucks everytime I search for parts in my country (Argentina) to find out prices are double or even more than double than what you pay in the US, and thats for the few things you can get here.
Also forget about fancy brands like Samsung, Lian Li, Noctua and BeQuiet (among others) and forget about most PC accesories and trinkets, you can get the basic stuff only (mobo, cpu, ram, storage, gpu, psu, case and if you are lucky a decent cooler) and thats it.

At least we have a decent internet conection now and we can read and watch and keep us up to date to whats going on in the IT world.

Sep 6, 2020
StoreMI V2 will flag you that it cannot cache a SATA SSD and HD. The SSD must be NVME. I could be wrong, but Fuzedrive which StoreMI is based on does not have this limitation?

StoreMI V2 will flag you that it cannot cache a SATA SSD and HD. The SSD must be NVME. I could be wrong, but Fuzedrive which StoreMI is based on does not have this limitation?

This is right out of the Release Notes:

At least one unformatted, uninitialized, unallocated SATA or NVMe SSD for storage acceleration.

So it doesn't require the SSD to be NVME, though in my case that is what I'm using.

Sep 6, 2020
This is the error I get when I install StoreMI V2. BTW, StoreMI is being installed to a MSI Tomahawk B450 motherboard with a SATA SSD and HD installed. Clearly the error indicates the StoreMI software does not support this configuration and NVME SSD is required.

87pS7QS.jpg