News AMD's Threadripper 7000 CPUs, TR5 Platform Will Arrive Later This Year

Hopefully these can actually handle more than 64GB of ram... Main reason I didn't upgrade to a 7950X(3D)...
The 7950X3D can handle 128GB RAM same as any other desktop Ryzen. It also looks like with nothing more than a BIOS update that Zen 4 will be able to support 24 & 48GB DIMMs. With 48GB DIMMs you could get 192GB RAM. The main issue is once you go 2 DIMMs per channel then you cannot run DDR5-6000 anymore.

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
<<...AMD may launch Ryzen Threadripper 7000 in HEDT and workstation flavors...>>

I'll believe it when I see it with my very own eyes.

I'm a user of a TR 3960X with 256GB of memory as a development workstation + DBs + VMs + High speed networking. I remember when AMD killed the HEDT version of Threadripper for the 5000 series. The 3000 series HEDT was too good for end-users and cannibalizing the sales of the Pro version. They are plenty of start-up or professional users for which the HEDT version is sufficient, no need to pay twice the price for a Pro version.

AMD can easily fight the INTEL W-3300 series on performance, efficiency and pricing with a TR 7000 Pro Series. I see little incentive for AMD to counter the low models with a HEDT version. Maybe a little bit more incentive to counter the low models of the INTEL W-2400 series.

So if AMD comes up again with a HEDT TR 7000 series, that will be to counter the low models of the INTEL W-3300 and W-2400 series and indirectly "gap-protect" the 7950X revenues, while not going all the way up in terms of number of cores. In AMD shoes that's what I would do.

The good times of the HEDT TR 3000 series, when AMD was very hungry, are over.

Last edited:
AMD can easily fight the INTEL W-3300 series on performance, efficiency and pricing with a TR 7000 Pro Series.
Based on the performance leaks the TR 5000 series already fights the new Intel series. However, TR 5000 competing with SPR based W-3300 isn't unexpected as SPR Xeon Scalable only competes with Zen 3 Epyc in performance and not Zen 4 Epyc.

W-3300 is Ice Lake. The "hundreds" digit indicates the generation, with 4 signifying Sapphire Rapids. I think @domih was pointedly saying Ice Lake 3000-tier + Sapphire Rapids 2000-tier.
Correct. In the article they mentioned a W chip and I thought it was the 3300 series. They actually showed the W9-3495 which is SPR. Ice Lake can compete with Rome and SPR competes with Milan. Still means that Genoa TR will be much faster than the SPR W series.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think it'd be interesting if AMD made a non-Pro quad-channel TR, that's limited to 48 cores. This lets them "double-up" the compute <-> I/O die link, as it's been reported that the compute dies have twice the potential connectivity than they're actually using. Maybe that will provide further benefit when equipped with 3D V-Cache?

Broly MAXIMUMER

Reputable
May 13, 2020
Hopefully these can actually handle more than 64GB of ram... Main reason I didn't upgrade to a 7950X(3D)...
This is Threadripper. It has always been able to handle way more ram from day one.

The 7950X3D is literally a "consumer chip." There should be no expectations, nor surprises there (even though it would make sense for them to push more than just core count on the R/i9 chips.... At least give them a PCIe bump. 32-40 should be enough for those who want to fill out their M.2 and have SOME expansion capabilities without even touching on what Threadripper can do)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
This is Threadripper. It has always been able to handle way more ram from day one.
The main question is whether it supports Unbuffered or Registered memory. RDIMMs can be higher-capacity (i.e. quad-rank) and more easily support 2 DIMMs per Channel.

IIRC, the 3000-series, non-Pro Threadrippers were limited to 256 GB. I think that's because they had only quad-channel and only supported unbuffered memory.

Reactions: domih