AMD's Trinity APU Efficiency: Undervolted And Overclocked

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009

I believe mobile processor sockets are pretty much always different from desktop sockets. So you'll need to buy a mobile (Trinity) processor. You may have some luck finding them on eBay, Amazon, or elsewhere, but I'm not sure if you can expect them to be brand new. According to Wikipedia, your socket should be called "FS1r2". Hopefully, you aren't looking for an upgrade and just a replacement, since the A10-4600M seems to be the highest-end processor for that socket for now (though there may be others I'm not aware of but don't get your hopes too high). Good luck. :)

G

@luciferano: I know what TDP stands for. Anyway that's largely what I mean. A lot of people are anti the K line because of the generally higher TDP. But it seems to me it's not clear why the TDP is higher. Does AMD really have that many processors that are that much worse that they need to bin them at the higher TDP? Or is it more to do with other things such as more room for turbo and possibly also for overclocking (of course when you're overclocking you can resonable expect to exceed the TDP but the higher TDP means that in a properly designed system even if it's only designed for running at stock you are guaranteed more headroom then you are for the lower TDP designed system). If this is the primary reason and it's not simply that AMD has a lot of high consumption processors that they need to bin at the higher TDP then for an enthusiat in most cases there's little reason to go with the non K processors barring price. As I mentioned I'm somewhat out of touch with turbo but I presume as there was with CnQ etc, there are simple tools you can use to enable custom levels if you don't like the stock ones, therefore worst case scenario you can use a profile similar to the non K ones. Only if you want to use a very low power PSU or a few small or limited cooling system and don't want to run the risk of something going wrong is it really necessary. Of course there's no reason to go with the K ones if you're simply going to limit them anyway but given the apparent limited availability of the non K ones there may generally be no harm in going with the K.

sookster54

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Since the AM3+ socket is near the end of life. I wonder if FM2 will be the future of AMD, doesn't look like the future of AM4 is anywhere in sight.

I'm going to wait and see what the rest of the Piledrivers has to offer before upgrading.

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

AM3+ is not the end and AMD (reports say) they are thinking about next gen after Piledriver on AM3+ as well.
FM2 is/was to be next.
there is no AM4..

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
I don't think I've read articles pertaining to this, but I remember reading around on the forums that socket AM4 is expected to come when DDR4 memory is out, which makes sense to me.

I was just reading in another thread with Wisecracker and luciferano about how AM3+ (chipsets) don't have USB 3.0 but you could use USB 3.0 add-on cards or the mo-bo makers may add a chip and ports themselves. :)

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
I'm confused.
my AM3+ mobo has USB 3.0 ports, I thought that what were talking about.?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131754

Rear Panel Ports
PS/2
1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse port

USB 1.1/2.0
8 x USB 2.0

USB 3.0
2 x USB 3.0

if speaking about something else then please fill me in...

as for the sockets, check the Piledriver thread and/or link sockets.
I'm under the impression that AM4 was never in the plans and the one socket moving forward after AM3+ will be FM2 and so on.

I might be wrong or read old info that hasn't been updated.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Your mo-bo must have a USB 3.0 chip on it, along with USB 3.0 ports. Just in case you're not aware, as it seems mo-bo makers can add functionality like more SATA III and USB 3.0 to their mo-bo's by adding chips to them. I have both on my socket 1155 P67 mo-bo and I can disable them. One or both of them are Marvell on mine I think. AM3+ and the southbridges that come with it don't have USB 3.0 on their own. :)

I'm thinking that FM sockets are for APU's (and APU's with their GPU's disabled thus making them just CPU's) and AM sockets are for plain CPU's. I don't think I've heard of the following FX CPU's to be used with FM sockets, though that surely doesn't meant that it isn't going to happen. :)

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]sookster54[/nom]Since the AM3+ socket is near the end of life. I wonder if FM2 will be the future of AMD, doesn't look like the future of AM4 is anywhere in sight.I'm going to wait and see what the rest of the Piledrivers has to offer before upgrading.[/citation]

Vishera (Piledriver FX), Steamroller, and possibly Excavator are supposed to be compatible with AM3+, so it's probably not going anywhere for a few years yet.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I think the reason for that might be that AM3+ is perfectly fine and has plenty of memory bandwidth, it's just that AMD's memory controller needs SERIOUS work in order to take advantage of it. However, DDR4 is coming, so they have to at least consider either a memory controller capable of working with DDR3 and DDR4 in Excavator (Phenom II had a similar arrangement with DDR2/3), or changing it to a new socket, as the number of channels seems less important than the speed of the RAM.

Philip Stubbs

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
So over the course of 1 month's use (idle consumption weighted at 70-90%) which is more power efficient?

And if I add a dedicated GPU to Intel's offering, what kind of power consumption hit will I take?

Those answers probably favour AMD...

Status
Not open for further replies.