AMD's Troubles and Why Qualcomm Should Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Bulldozer is about to roll out. If it is good (and it looks good on paper) and if AMD changes strategy + AMD graphics, AMD's near future may be pretty good.

retirepresident

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I think its just a rumor to at AMD bad humor about intel SB. But if not Samsung has the muscle to push AMD/ATI. Samsung and AMD/ATI = Kicks intel @@s.

G

I love AMD, but they seriously need a kick in the ass to get moving.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I have to agree that an AMD/Samsung combination would be incredibly powerful. As the article mentioned Samsung has a great deal of knowledge in the wafer fabrication area, which is a bit of a weakness of AMD's. Just look at how Intel has pressed it's manufacturing advantage to beat AMD by producing chips one fabrication node farther than AMD, allowing for more features and improved overclocking headroom. Samsung would add a great deal of engineering talent and R&D capital to AMD allowing for AMD to greatly improve their processor and GPU designs. And I don't think Samsung would mind getting a hold of AMDs x86 license.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
That's a good point about IBM. IBM and AMD have done a lot of work together in past, so a buyout would make sense. In fact, IIRC, the design for AMDs first integrated memory controller was from IBM.

G

I think that AMD is prime for being acquired:
-It's balance sheet is finally out of the red (at least sort of)
-New products that rock
-The stock @ anywhere under $12 bucks is undervalued in my opinion.
-A number of OEM's are switching to AMD products etc...

Good luck AMD!

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
IBM sounds nice, their RISC architecture is top noch in the powerpc versions or CBE ... but I doubt IBM wants to play around with barby dolls at their level. And between samsung and qualcomm i'd prefer samsung. But then again, if bulldozer is a win the 10bilion price tag will go up.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
At least for me the article does not make sense. Somehow ARM makers should be afraid windows on ARM, because NVIDIA has IP in graphic cards. Go figure.

ananke

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
IBM is a service company. They have no manufacturing, neither AMD has. The Global Foundries are the manufacturer, but they are indipendent entity. I see no reason for anybody to spend so much as to acquire AMD right now, just to obtain some patents. The x86 lisence is revocable if AMD is sold, hence the possible acquirer will not even get x86 lisence...

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Wow, Wolfgang that's two well researched poorly writen articles in a row.

AMD has attractive assets, while it isn't exactly competitive at this time anymore.
AMD is currently doing well financially and its CPU lineup looks promising

Contradict much? Maybe you should do the research and let your kid daughter write just the facts, not your oppinions.

G

The chinese should buy it. Not only would it help advance their IP, it'll give them a major presence in the IC industry. Although they currently are developing their own processor right now, it is still a few years behind US base company. Acquiring AMD would do wonders for them. With their $ and exposure, AMD would be bigger than intel in no time.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Why would the Chinese buy one of our companies in order to acquire IP when they could just steal it like they have been doing for years. You wouldn't believe the type of data that the Chinese have stolen. Back in 2000 Chinese hackers broke into Los Alamos National Laboratory's computer system and stole a 3ft tall stack of highly classified nuclear weapons documents. So they clearly have no trepidation stealing what they can't invent.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
[citation][nom]SpadeM[/nom]I... but I doubt IBM wants to play around with barby dolls at their level.[/citation]
They played with Sony... ;-)

G

Microsost has not even been mentioned, WHY. It would make more sense for them to buy out, I am sure Bill has plenty of pocket change);

Windows on ARM (dont care too much about Intel then).
XBOX 360 and what ever is next.
Buyout AMD...pause for thought...

G

I used to work in the Power Design Division of IBM - what ananke said is wrong. IBM has a lot of manufacturing capability located in East Fishkill NY and Burlington VT. IBM is a leader in process fabrication techniques (as showcased by the number of patents filed each year) and manufactures all the PS3, Wii, Xbox chips in the same plant that currently produces Power7 / mainframe chips. Just wanted to set the record straight.

With that said, I don't think it would be in IBM's interest to pick up a company like AMD. After all, most of the revenues on the balance sheet come from software / services, not hardware.

Cheers!

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]yyk71200[/nom]Bulldozer is about to roll out. If it is good (and it looks good on paper) and if AMD changes strategy + AMD graphics, AMD's near future may be pretty good.[/citation]

Will people stop saying this. There has been no official word on this alledged "bulldozer".

Status
Not open for further replies.