AMD's Upcoming CPU/GPU Platform To Catch Up With Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawler

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
I hope this ends up being a great product line-up...both to give intel a little kick in the butt to and because everyone likes an underdog

tagasur

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
i was just about to get started on my rig based on the amd phenom 9850. now tom's is saying the 9950 will be out in a few weeks. okay, anything to help me not suck at counterstrike:source.

liemfukliang

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
Just make sure 4 R770 priced less than 3 GTX 280. Now with Radeon Physhis X, we don't have to choose between DX 10.1 (Radeon HD 48xx) or Physhic X (GTX 280). If only Nvidia can make a decent mainstream that is twice 9600 GTS with the 9600 GT price and if supprisingly DX 10.1 (which is quite impossible) than I don't think beside performance NVidia win anything....(price, TDP, etc)....

Welll DX10.1 is nice as it makes much better use of the Unified Sharder arch that all Radeon 2900 and up uses this design but its not anything amazing.

I only wounder about people on non SB700 mobos (i.e. AM2 mobos) and if its the same problem as to why they cannot overclock Phenom much. Then I also feel sorry for those who will buy a new mobo to be able to overclock after buying a B3 Phenom to replace their B2 Phenom with. Its like buying 2 systems.

hannibal

Distinguished
Did you allso read the interesting story that the tessalation unit in ATI cards can be used for tray-tracing?
What AMD needs is some luck and hard work. Intel has been alone in the hill far too long for me to be confortable. Don't get me wrong, I really like Intel products. I just don't want to be forsed to chose among one distributor in any sector...

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
This is just a confirmation of what has been hinted at before. As for the notion of "get it right this time", it's a process, not an event in itself. Such improvements and evolution will continue. I have this weird fantasy about "true quad" appearing as cpu + gpu (both) - that being a combo of what's available in each, appearing in both. So a quad gpu paired with a quad cpu - only it's called a highly proprietary amd mobo - or is the word "exclusionary".
I like this "balanced platform" idea - the potential is enormous. But I really don't know much about how it can be done - and I think if we had the amazing amd superpooter, we would all have to cash in our amd-fanboy t-shirts, and started rooting for intel - gawwwwd, can you imagine such treason? Yeh, we love the underdog. But I think the underdog is really quite opposite, and the lawsuit scene is bigger than imagined. Money is dominating, not technology.

These are my idle thoughts, I don't know much about legaleez or supertek. But I see this threatened company doing a lot more with a lot less, and it makes me wonder what fairplay would do.

I am also one who believes in the desirability of a eutopic world in which we simply do what is needed and best for all and efficient - because money doesn't rule our pathetic illusions of reality. Our sense of competition is distorted - we see it as opposition when we are all really on the same side pulling for our greater good. Money instantly derails that, and so we have to deal with dirt - and that's what affects us all; although we are told it's terrorism, hi-crime etc. The real crime - well, you can see as well as I can - we are not taught to think of this. (conditioned, programmed) And so it continues until we refuse to play the game and decide to share our toys with the havenot underdogs - wow, listen to the divisionary separation, and the inferior superior - all created equal without a hope. Depressing, huh. Welcome to the dark side. I didn't create this. But I saw this when I was a child. Obvious and senseless. Captain Kirk for president. No wonder games are so popular. Virtual reality. Is there a game without violence that's totally immersive?
Sorry for long post and sidetracking - I guess I need to vent occasionally.
Peace.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
It's True.
The New Phenom is going to be Awesome.

They contracted out Tinker Bell from Disney.
She is now sprinkling Pixies dust on all of the 9950 Phenoms.

This will fix all of the heat and overclocking issues.
Now need for the die shrink.
No need for the use of the newer composites that AMD is using.
The Pixie does also greatly increases the IPC.

Yeah, That new chip is gonna ROCK!!!!!

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
interesting... If they do this rigth they could have themselves in a very good position in such that now they are able to combine thier CPU and GPU to scale well together.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
[citation][nom]puterpoweruser[/nom]They need to hurry up and get the products out so i can buy em!!! I have 2 4850's waiting for a new board and processor.[/citation]
Why would you buy 2 graphics cards that you cant use, when you can just wait and then get them cheaper? Either way, good choice of cards ;) :D

[citation][nom]zenmaster[/nom]It's True.The New Phenom is going to be Awesome.They contracted out Tinker Bell from Disney.She is now sprinkling Pixies dust on all of the 9950 Phenoms.This will fix all of the heat and overclocking issues.Now need for the die shrink.No need for the use of the newer composites that AMD is using.The Pixie does also greatly increases the IPC.Yeah, That new chip is gonna ROCK!!!!![/citation]
SPAM! RUN!!!

Hopefully AMD gets back on track. Not because I'm an AMD fanboy, but because Intel needs to finally get "a kick in the pants". They haven't had one since the A64 days.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I wouldnt consider the 9950 a desirable overclocking platform compared to the competitions offering from what I have seen. I do want AMD to roll out something mean so I can come back to them. I despise the ATI side of their business but always had a strong bias in favor of the AMD CPU's. It made me feel guilty to go Intel this last build but felt I couldnt come close to my expectations with their current best.

Status
Not open for further replies.