News AMD's Zen 4 Raphael CPUs Will Likely Max Out At 16 Cores

taz-nz

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Still interest to see if we will get 3D V-Cache CPU in AM4 socket later this year.

AMD said they were bring 3D V-Cache to their highest end parts by the end of the year, which you would think would be EYPC & Threadripper, but all the benchmarks they showed were games, so that points to Ryzen.

But everything I've seen says AMD isn't going to release ZEN 4 with DDR5 on AM5 socket until next year, so if they release 3D V-cache Ryzen CPUs this year, it will logically will be on the AM4 socket.

All the leakers some how missed AMD biggest announcement this year, and now seem to be ignoring it.

Last edited:

Chrys

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Still interest to see if we will get 3D V-Cache CPU in AM4 socket later this year.

AMD said they were bring 3D V-Cache to their highest end parts by the end of the year, which you would think would be EYPC & Threadripper, but all the benchmarks they showed were games, so that points to Ryzen.

But everything I've seen says AMD isn't going to release ZEN 4 with DDR5 on AM5 socket until next year, so if they release 3D V-cache Ryzen CPUs this year, it will logically will be on the AM4 socket.

All the leakers somehow missed AMD biggest announcement this year, and now seem to be ignoring it.
From their announcements I think that they'll be releasing zen3+/5000x+ chips with the 3d stacked L3. I've been wondering if they'll end up with all L3 being stacked in the zen4, but if they're not going higher than 16 core maybe they won't.

thGe17

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
I honestly can’t wait to see what they have cooked for this. Maybe the new high cache amount is standard in all chips?
Certainly not, it's too expensive. If AMD sees the need to provide a stacked chip in the consumer segement, then as a separate model with a higher price tag.

Still interest to see if we will get 3D V-Cache CPU in AM4 socket later this year. [...]
Nope, AMD said that production of these chips will start at the end of this year, meaning an availability/launch in 1Q22 at best. And additionally they already said highend Ryzen's, therefore the 16 core part, maybe even the 12 core part but nothing more.