News AMD's Zen 5 CPUs, APUs Will Likely Tap TSMC's 3nm Process Node

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I find this report to be highly unlikely. Apple has paid to have exclusive access to TMSCs latest process node, given 3nm isn't set to launch until 2H 2022 I find it highly unlikely Zen 5 would be on the 3 nm node in 2023. It will probably be on the 5nm node, just like Apple is on the 5nm node today and Zen 4 is on the 7nm node.

Reactions: Makaveli

InvalidError

Titan
Apple has paid to have exclusive access to TMSCs latest process node, given 3nm isn't set to launch until 2H 2022 I find it highly unlikely Zen 5 would be on the 3 nm node in 2023.
Apple may have locked down TSMC's 3nm but Samsung is supposed to get there too so AMD may be able to use that and for a hybrid design, it could use Zen 5 on 3nm for the "performance" cores and some Zen 4 derivative CCDs still on 5nm for the efficiency-oriented cores.

InvalidError

Titan
And now people are trying to pull a 7nm to 3nm? This has a horrible implication that 7nm to 3nm isn't that big of a jump, or that 6nm and 5nm are just bs renames. Which some people already do know, but c'mon, the companies are making this too obvious.
They aren't jumping from 7nm to 5nm. While TSMC's 6nm is a 7nm refinement, 5nm is its own thing that requires process-specific re-design.

Friesiansam

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
This whole article is just based on rumours and a very suspect image from China.

Worry about what is actually going to happen. when we see some information that has a basis in fact.

Typical Future Publishing clickbait article...

raycrayz

Reputable
Oct 12, 2017
I find this report to be highly unlikely. Apple has paid to have exclusive access to TMSCs latest process node, given 3nm isn't set to launch until 2H 2022 I find it highly unlikely Zen 5 would be on the 3 nm node in 2023. It will probably be on the 5nm node, just like Apple is on the 5nm node today and Zen 4 is on the 7nm node.

Devil is in the details. Apple would have given TSMC a production target at that node. It's up to TSMC as to how fast they fill that production order. If TSMC thinks they'll have more capacity than they agreed to sell to Apple, then they can sell it to someone else. Production capacity (yield) may have been remodelled to be higher than originally expected.