American Megatrends on Initial Startup. Cant get past it.

lilayzee

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
Hey.
I've just built my first pc. I just turned it on for the first time and am stuck on an american megatrend screen. I have pressed ctrl+alt+del to restart it and the same thing keeps happening.

When i turn it on I get one beep from the motherboard speaker. In the manual it says that it means the VGA is detected, quick boot set to disabled and/or no keyboard detected. I know that its reading my keyboard because I'm able to restart my pc using the keyboard.

The screen initially goes to the ROG screen where it says hit delete to enter bios. hitting delete wont let me go to bios. I tried plugging in the keyboard into another pc and the delete button does work.

The ROG screen stays on for maybe 5 seconds where it switches over to the American Megatrends Screen. It says the following:

"AMIBIOS(C)2017 American Megatrends, Inc.

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO ACPI BIOS REVISION 0213
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700k CPU @ 3.70GHz
Speed: 3700MHz

Total Memory: 16384MB (DDR4-2133)

USB Devices total: 0 Drive, 1 Keyboard, 1 Mouse, 2 Hubs

Detected ATA/ATAPI Devices. . .

Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting.
After setting up Intel(R) Optane Memory or the RAID configuration was built,
SATA Mode Selection must be changed to RAID mode to avoid unknown issues.
Press F1 to Run SETUP"

I cannot get past this screen. What do I do? Any suggestions or help appreciated.

Thank you

Solution
Thats why I wanted to look at the list, that is some very high frequency ram and not sure if your motherboard supports it.
You do have to take the QVL with a grain of salt, but if your ram is faster than anything on that list, that is at least a caution flag.
The pro to buying memory from the QVL is smoother RMAs, many here have been in limbo between the Mobo and RAM OEM pointing fingers at each other instead of issuing an RMA.
With that said my Trident Z RGB was not on the QVL list for my ROG B350F board.

Ideally I would try to return the ram since you paying a premium for high speed you cant use.
Otherwise try to downclock it to 2666 or 3000

On AMD setups you can see a noticeable gain out of high freq ram, but with intel the gain is...
By devices plugged in I just wanted to know what all usb/serial devices you had plugged into the computer.
For example a defective usb external drive (or flash drive) could cause the bios to freeze while trying to recognize it and list it as a boot option.

Did you make sure that memory was supported by your motherboard (I cant access the page to download the QVL memory support list from the network I am currently on)?

lilayzee

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
I have a wireless keyboard and mouse, and 2 fan controllers as I have 8 case fans set up.
I did check the QVL list before purchasing and the ram wasn't on there. I was told to take the QVL list with a pinch of salt. Was that a bad idea? I've read plenty of people using trident z rgb with the maximus X with no issues online so I thought it would be fine.
I actually got through to my BIOS now. I wanted to change a couple thing quickly before installing windows. I pretty much tried upping the ram to no effect. It shows up in the settings that its going at 4266 after putting XMP on but on the actual monitoring it still says 2133. When I turn XMP on, when I hit F10 to save and restart my pc loads to a blank screen and I have to manually turn off the pc with the power button. When it comes back on I go back to the American Megatrends Screen with a warning about stability on the pc and that I should revert any changed bios settings. Why isn't it letting me change it to the advertised speeds?

Thats why I wanted to look at the list, that is some very high frequency ram and not sure if your motherboard supports it.
You do have to take the QVL with a grain of salt, but if your ram is faster than anything on that list, that is at least a caution flag.
The pro to buying memory from the QVL is smoother RMAs, many here have been in limbo between the Mobo and RAM OEM pointing fingers at each other instead of issuing an RMA.
With that said my Trident Z RGB was not on the QVL list for my ROG B350F board.

Ideally I would try to return the ram since you paying a premium for high speed you cant use.
Otherwise try to downclock it to 2666 or 3000

On AMD setups you can see a noticeable gain out of high freq ram, but with intel the gain is pretty unnoticeable (default speed on coffee-lake is 2666).

Solution

lilayzee

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017

I tested out the ram speeds until i found the highest with it working; 3200 was the magic number. Thanks for all the help and advice! I'll see what I can do to push it a bit further once I get the major stuff sorted. I got a sweet deal on the 4266 ram so I thought I might as well get it and see how far I can push it. I'm sure It'll go a bit higher atleast. Thanks again.