Question Americans Megatrends error on new motherboard ?

Aug 11, 2022
i yesterday built my first pc, it works actually fine, but when I'm tryna boot my pc the Americans megatrends error comes up, it also detects 6 keyboards, but I only have one.

the mobo is also brand new and i don't think that it's possible the the CMOS is already dead or am I wrong??

Also, I can't access the BIOS 'cos it says "Press F1" but it's not working.

please help asap!!!

i yesterday built my first pc, it works actually fine, but when I'm tryna boot my pc the Americans megatrends error comes up, it also detects 6 keyboards, but I only have one.

the mobo is also brand new and i don't think that it's possible the the CMOS is already dead or am I wrong??

I can't also access the bios cus I can't press f1, it's written I should press it but it's not working.

please help asap!!!
Multiple KBs reported is normal as modern KBs are multi functional.
3700x support since BIOS ver, 2301
But installing newest one should not hurt.
Also try another KB if yours is wireless or some fancy one that requires a driver.
F2 and Del keys should also work.
Did you reset CMOS ?

Reactions: kurdtnz
Really? Are you sure it just says the motherboard is compatible with both generation cpu's? There should be either a silver or orange sign on the box. Im just thinking it is a BIOS issue. Most B450 motherboards are only compatible with 2000 series straight from the box,(but the MSI MAX models were 3000 series ready straight from the box as well as some later produced B450 boards.) Is there a small sticker on the actual motherboard that says what BIOS version the motherboard has?

Aug 11, 2022
Really? Are you sure it just says the motherboard is compatible with both generation cpu's? There should be either a silver or orange sign on the box. Im just thinking it is a BIOS issue. Most B450 motherboards are only compatible with 2000 series straight from the box,(but the MSI MAX models were 3000 series ready straight from the box as well as some later produced B450 boards.) Is there a small sticker on the actual motherboard that says what BIOS version the motherboard has?
in silver it's written 200 series and in orange 300 series, and no there's no where where it's written the bios version

Aug 11, 2022
Multiple KBs reported is normal as modern KBs are multi functional.
3700x support since BIOS ver, 2301
But installing newest one should not hurt.
Also try another KB if yours is wireless or some fancy one that requires a driver.
F2 and Del keys should also work.
Did you reset CMOS ?
i don't have any other kB my kB is wireless but can also work wired, currently I connected it to my mobo with the wire ofc, I was trying to reset/take out the CMOS but I couldn't get it out, I'm trying that later, but I was wondering if I maybe have to update the bios or smth so I can avoid getting a new cmos.

i don't have any other kB my kB is wireless but can also work wired, currently I connected it to my mobo with the wire ofc, I was trying to reset/take out the CMOS but I couldn't get it out, I'm trying that later, but I was wondering if I maybe have to update the bios or smth so I can avoid getting a new cmos.
Don't need to take battery out, just short posts labeled CLR_CMOS on the MB.

Reactions: catsonthem00n

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021

Can you photo this error screen?

Don't need to take battery out, just short posts labeled CLR_CMOS on the MB.

Ngl, sometimes battery is easier to access compared to this jumper, but power supply must be off and system attempted to power cycle to release charge. On other side, battery removal timing are atrocious, sometimes even after few minutes my CMOS won't reset, so jumper is much more reliable (i access it with tip of knife usually)

Aug 11, 2022
Can you photo this error screen?

https://ibb.co/Gx5WjGL here is the error screen

Ngl, sometimes battery is easier to access compared to this jumper, but power supply must be off and system attempted to power cycle to release charge. On other side, battery removal timing are atrocious, sometimes even after few minutes my CMOS won't reset, so jumper is much more reliable (i access it with tip of knife usually)

Aug 11, 2022
Well, it does seem that BIOS recognises your 3700x and 16GB of RAM. No errors seen there
And it asks you to use F1 to enter UEFI and set to defaults (or restore settings).
Hmm... What keyboard do you use? Strange that BIOS cannot interpret your input
i remembered SMTH now, yesterday when I build it and tried to plug in the usb 3 port it made a loud click and it's in now but idk if I accidentally broke a pin or SMTH?? is it normal to make that noise orr?

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
i remembered SMTH now, yesterday when I build it and tried to plug in the usb 3 port it made a loud click and it's in now but idk if I accidentally broke a pin or SMTH?? is it normal to make that noise orr?
Well, USB ports (unless it is mini/micro USB and even then it is not loud) aren't supposed to click. So you may as well try to look there. If Keyboard USB connector is alright, you can try to put in different USB port. But you better check port by itself as well, maybe something got wrong electrically.

Aug 11, 2022
Well, USB ports (unless it is mini/micro USB and even then it is not loud) aren't supposed to click. So you may as well try to look there. If Keyboard USB connector is alright, you can try to put in different USB port. But you better check port by itself as well, maybe something got wrong electrically.
no I mean, when I plugged the usb 3 port cable in in my mobo, yk the one with a usually blue tip? I can't take it out I tried but it doesn't work, but I don't think a pin broke there cus it DETECTS the keyboard and the mouse I just can't press anything like it doesn't react I'm stuck at the American Megatrends screen

no I mean, when I plugged the usb 3 port cable in in my mobo, yk the one with a usually blue tip? I can't take it out I tried but it doesn't work, but I don't think a pin broke there cus it DETECTS the keyboard and the mouse I just can't press anything like it doesn't react I'm stuck at the American Megatrends screen
Looks like just normal BIOS first time startup screen, it's not an error. Did you reset CMOS yet ?

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
no, I tried to replace the CMOS but it's not coming out, I'm pretty new to pc building and stuff so excuse me if it's a dumb question but how do I reset the CMOS?
2 ways to do it.

First way
  1. Turn off power supply
  2. Remove power cord
  3. Find battery on motherboard and remove it
  4. Press power button on PC (still without power)
  5. Wait around 2-3 minutes.
  6. Press power button again
  7. Put battery back
  8. Put power cord and turn on power supply
  9. Start up PC
_
Second way
  1. Find something metallic and thin, like knife, scissors, etc
  2. Find on motherboard 2 metallic pins as jumper with CLR_CMOS or RESET CMOS written around it
cmos-jumper-4.jpg

reset-cmos.png
3.. Short it (put metal to connect these 2 pins).​
4.. Start up PC​

Aug 11, 2022
2 ways to do it.

First way
  1. Turn off power supply
  2. Remove power cord
  3. Find battery on motherboard and remove it
  4. Press power button on PC (still without power)
  5. Wait around 2-3 minutes.
  6. Press power button again
  7. Put battery back
  8. Put power cord and turn on power supply
  9. Start up PC
_
Second way
  1. Find something metallic and thin, like knife, scissors, etc
  2. Find on motherboard 2 metallic pins as jumper with CLR_CMOS or RESET CMOS written around it
cmos-jumper-4.jpg

reset-cmos.png
3.. Short it (put metal to connect these 2 pins).​
4.. Start up PC​
ooooo okay thank you!! I'm going to try this tmw cus it's pretty late now, gonna let you know if it worked, thank you!! :)

TRENDING THREADS