Amperage requirement question

kyledawg92

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
I recently ordered a GTX 650. Unlike my previous card (Radeon HD 4670, I know I'm cheap), this one requires a 6pin connection to the PSU, rather than just getting it's power from the PCI-E slot.

I ordered a molex to PCI-E power cable which hasn't arrived yet so I haven't gotten to see if it works or not. I'm concerned it may not.

I also noticed my PSU's 12v rail runs at 18 amps while the EVGA specs page recommends 20 amps.

I'm concerned about performance dips (or even it flat out not working) due to how I'm having to use a molex converter along with lacking the recommended amps. My previous video card didn't require either of these things. How much will this matter?

Solution
There are 2 totally separate issues here:

1) The PSU should be able to source more than enough current for the 650, it is a negligible change in power from your old card.

2) You have a cheap, old, PSU that most would replace regardless of the GPU.

Will the additional few watts of load cause the PSU to fail? Almost certainly not.
Will be PSU fail due to some other cause in the next year or two? Probabaly not, but there's a decent chance it will. --and when it does there is a good chance it will take something with it. (Mobo, GPU..)
Should you replace the PSU with something better? Yes. Yes you should.

Considering the fact that the 12v only has 18amps then it's easy to say that you have a terrible PSU. Please replace it or you could easily ruin the whole system.. Especially with that new GPU..

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-vp450

I agree with MasterDell. If your power supply doesn't even provide 20 amps you should replace it. Furthermore, it must be rather old as every modern PSU that isn't from an OEM should come with a 6-pin connector. I can't even remember the last PSU I had that wasn't equipped with a six-pin connector.

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
There are 2 totally separate issues here:

1) The PSU should be able to source more than enough current for the 650, it is a negligible change in power from your old card.

2) You have a cheap, old, PSU that most would replace regardless of the GPU.

Will the additional few watts of load cause the PSU to fail? Almost certainly not.
Will be PSU fail due to some other cause in the next year or two? Probabaly not, but there's a decent chance it will. --and when it does there is a good chance it will take something with it. (Mobo, GPU..)
Should you replace the PSU with something better? Yes. Yes you should.

Solution