Amps on 12v vs total wattage

gran172

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
Hey, so i just got my pc a few months ago: I5 4590, R9 380 4GB, 8GB Ram, 1TB HD, EVGA 430W 80+. Thing is, the guys who built the pc for me decided which PSU to use since i didn't know much about them at the time, they went with a EVGA 430w 80+. Thing is, lots of people have said to me that i'm really on the limit with my psu, but here's my question: the power supply has 34A on the 12v (meaning 408w), and my system uses 363w max acording to PCPartPicker, so am i really on the limit?

Solution
The R9 380 draws less than 200W in games (~230W in Furmark), and the Core i5-4590 draws less than 100W. With the rest of the system drawing less than 50W, you'd only barely break 300W power draw. So you're not really at the limit. You can put a fairly heavy load on the power supply, but it's not dangerously high. The fact that it's a rather low quality power supply means you shouldn't expect it to last forever, but it's fine for the time being.
The R9 380 draws less than 200W in games (~230W in Furmark), and the Core i5-4590 draws less than 100W. With the rest of the system drawing less than 50W, you'd only barely break 300W power draw. So you're not really at the limit. You can put a fairly heavy load on the power supply, but it's not dangerously high. The fact that it's a rather low quality power supply means you shouldn't expect it to last forever, but it's fine for the time being.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The R9 380 recommends a 550w PSU. It can definitely run with less but basically when gaming at full throttle you're pulling everything that PSU can give out of it. Its not efficient and it will wear it down fairly quickly. That wear leads to instability, and then crashes. Thats why they recommend 550w for a cushion.