[SOLVED] An adapter to mount a 2.5" SSD in a 3.5" bay, with standard 3.5" mounting holes & screw threads?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The subject says it all. I have searched and searched, but all adapters either seem too short or do not use standard 3.5" screw types in the outer holes. Both the screw types & positions must match a 3.5" disk, in order to fit my case (the case has custom screws, to fit its anti-vibration mounts).

I did find a couple adapters that seem like they'd work, but they have an additional connector you plug the drive into. I don't want or see the point of that. Examples:
This isn't the first time I've searched for such a product. It's just unbelievable how many adapters there are out there, yet no one seems to have gotten it right. It's such a simple thing.

Solution
I found a good solution, but it's not cheap and I'm not sure if they even still make them. I bought one of these:

...then, you just unscrew the circuit board with the connectors. I posted a similar product in my first post, however it has a metal frame that extends underneath its circuit board. So, even if you unscrew the board from it, the frame would still be somewhat in the way (maybe not too much, it's hard to tell). However, with the NewerTech AdaptaDrive, unscrewing the board gives free cable access to the drive's connectors.

Best of all, the outer holes exactly match the spacing and thread...
The subject says it all. I have searched and searched, but all adapters either seem too short or do not use standard 3.5" screw types in the outer holes. Both the screw types & positions must match a 3.5" disk, in order to fit my case (the case has custom screws, to fit its anti-vibration mounts).

I did find a couple adapters that seem like they'd work, but they have an additional connector you plug the drive into. I don't want or see the point of that. Examples:
This isn't the first time I've searched for such a product. It's just unbelievable how many adapters there are out there, yet no one seems to have gotten it right. It's such a simple thing.

Ive used these types of adapter many of times when mounting a SSD in a server cage so the power and data port are exactly in the right spot to plug into the backplane.

If you dont need the the power and data ports in the same spot as the 3.5 drive you can use the cheaper one Obakasama linked.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I found a good solution, but it's not cheap and I'm not sure if they even still make them. I bought one of these:

...then, you just unscrew the circuit board with the connectors. I posted a similar product in my first post, however it has a metal frame that extends underneath its circuit board. So, even if you unscrew the board from it, the frame would still be somewhat in the way (maybe not too much, it's hard to tell). However, with the NewerTech AdaptaDrive, unscrewing the board gives free cable access to the drive's connectors.

Best of all, the outer holes exactly match the spacing and thread pitch of a proper 3.5" HDD, and the low-profile frame doesn't block much airflow around the drive. The frame is also quite sturdy.

If you can no longer find the AdaptaDrive, then you might go ahead and try the FenLink adapter (I've also seen similar, sold in sometimes black color, under a couple different brands) and see if you can get the cables over that metal bit in front.

Solution