An Article Borked My ARM64 Dev Station

farnell121

Distinguished
May 17, 2014
First off, this is the dangerous article in question that kills your OS:

https://www.tomshardware.com/amp/how-to/raspberry-pi-install-steam

The line where you tar the archive to your / (root) directory, in a nutshell, overwrites your /usr/bin folder and trashes root. Luckily all of my source builds have been backed up but I now have to spend an hour or more rebuilding my system ontop of the hours of work that wasn't backed up.

If you read the comments, for 8 months this article has been wiping peoples boards, and the article writer has abandoned the page. You have to load all comments and read the last one, that actually has a fix. Trying to contact using the "Contact Us" link takes me to a corporate page, no where to report a problem such as this.

How would I go about making sure this article gets corrected so others don't succumb to this? Thanks.

D

Deleted member 217926

Moving this. I'll also notify someone to take a look. Thanks for pointing it out.

Reactions: Ralston18

Colif

Win 11 Master
shame i can't mark bottom answer as best on a comment thread.

We don't have any control over articles or it would vanish, don't need bad advice breaking installs on front page.

SHaines

Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 1, 2019

The line where you tar the archive to your / (root) directory, in a nutshell, overwrites your /usr/bin folder and trashes root. Luckily all of my source builds have been backed up but I now have to spend an hour or more rebuilding my system ontop of the hours of work that wasn't backed up.

If you read the comments, for 8 months this article has been wiping peoples boards, and the article writer has abandoned the page. You have to load all comments and read the last one, that actually has a fix. Trying to contact using the "Contact Us" link takes me to a corporate page, no where to report a problem such as this.

How would I go about making sure this article gets corrected so others don't succumb to this? Thanks.

Thanks for calling out the issue. We want to be sure to get this properly sorted out, so bear with us while we dig into it. We'll make any changes needed to the article as quickly as possible, but we'll also be sure to update you here by Tuesday, at the latest (though any necessary changes should be done by then).

SHaines

Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 1, 2019

We worked on finding updated steps for the article, but it doesn't look like this is currently something that can be done consistently, so we're taking the article down completely. Thanks again for calling out the issue.