News An Enthusiast Added an External GPU to the Steam Deck

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
It would have been better if the enthusiast added gen 4 or gen 3 m.2 slot WHILE still allowing to charge the thing as the deck badly needs that instead of SD cards...

If this could be developed into a docking station it would be a really interesting additional USP over the Switch. Enough GPU for big-screen HD gaming and on-the-go portability. I wonder if there's enough lanes accessible though to even think about GPU + storage, which is a shame.

If this could be developed into a docking station it would be a really interesting additional USP over the Switch. Enough GPU for big-screen HD gaming and on-the-go portability. I wonder if there's enough lanes accessible though to even think about GPU + storage, which is a shame.
Butwhy.gif
That's the whole reason steam made the cloud saving thing work so well on the deck, you got your PC to play at home and take the deck anywhere else and game saves just update.
The deck isn't going to be anybodies main PC replacement the way the switch is the only console for a bunch of people.

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
OneXPlayer. Aya Neo.

Adds a dock with gpu. Done.

How is it that the Steam Deck gets so much press, despite being nothing really 'new'? Money. If you say anything against it, online, you'd jumped on and beaten to a pulp. Sure, it IS a lovely device and I will own one but, as above, it's hardly ground breaking. Additionally, the screen res is so damn low. It's 2022, not 2010.

OneXPlayer. Aya Neo.

How is it that the Steam Deck gets so much press, despite being nothing really 'new'? Money. If you say anything against it, online, you'd jumped on and beaten to a pulp. Sure, it IS a lovely device and I will own one but, as above, it's hardly ground breaking. Additionally, the screen res is so damn low. It's 2022, not 2010.
Yes it is all about the money, the money it costs to get one, the aya and onex are like three times as much money so naturally the deck gets a lot of press because it's the first time a normal person can actually afford one of these.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
It’s a really funny experiment, people shouldn’t take it too seriously. I don’t think the battery is the problem though, it’s probably connected to a charger. As isn’t storage, once game is loaded into ram it doesn’t matter anyway. And microSD is still better than HDD, so.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
How is it that the Steam Deck gets so much press, despite being nothing really 'new'?

Being Linux based with its own custom OS and APIs makes Steam Deck quite "new" compared to any other you could name. Aya, etc etc.........

Besides, Valve is a huge name in gaming as well. How is it that Windows 11 gets so much press, despite being nothing really 'new'? How is it that last few Intel-based Macs got so much press, despite being nothing really 'new'? How is it that Windows 12 when it arrives will get so much press, despite being nothing really 'new'? How is it that every new iphone gets so much press, despite being nothing really 'new'?

Its hard to ignore elephants when they casually walk through the living room.

OneXPlayer. Aya Neo.

Or, you know... Maybe the Steam Deck gets more press because it starts at only a third the price of the Aya Neo, with a well-known gaming platform backing it rather than some newly formed company that hardly anyone has heard of and that could potentially go out of business at any time.

It's undoubtedly much easier to sell a portable gaming device priced like a console than one priced like a gaming PC. At that kind of pricing, it's competing with much faster and more fully-featured gaming laptops, which makes something like the Aya Neo a really niche device. You have to really need that extra portability for it to make any sense, as at home you would likely be better served by other devices. And even on the go, devices like this are too bulky to be pocketable. The Steam Deck being more impulse-priced goes along way toward making people consider the form-factor.

And does it matter if an Aya Neo could technically connect to an external GPU if the setup ends up costing more than what one could get a dedicated gaming PC plus a Steam Deck for?

Reactions: sundragon