[SOLVED] An old sell server vs an old pc esxi/proxmox

gotenks111

Honorable
Dec 30, 2017
Ok so I want to setup a homelab.

I can either rustle up a cheap pc or get a slim Lenovo p93 or something. Alternatively I can buy a r720 for roughly same price.

I want run a few vm’s with esxi and at least one of those vm a windows 10 to be accessed remotely, via RDP or parsec. Probably parsec.

I want to ask whether I’m better buying a server or using a pc. My concerns are speed and ‘laggyness’. The server has lots of ram (128gb) compared to pc with 8gb. Also the cpu is 2x 8core on server. Also the server is running sas drives. Might get a cheap ssd for vms.

Basically, not considering latency, would a server be better for running a few vms than an older pc or could I get away with using an older pc.

kanewolf

Titan
Ok so I want to setup a homelab.

I can either rustle up a cheap pc or get a slim Lenovo p93 or something. Alternatively I can buy a r720 for roughly same price.

I want run a few vm’s with esxi and at least one of those vm a windows 10 to be accessed remotely, via RDP or parsec. Probably parsec.

I want to ask whether I’m better buying a server or using a pc. My concerns are speed and ‘laggyness’. The server has lots of ram (128gb) compared to pc with 8gb. Also the cpu is 2x 8core on server. Also the server is running sas drives. Might get a cheap ssd for vms.

Basically, not considering latency, would a server be better for running a few vms than an older pc or could I get away with using an older pc.
Have you looked for a workstation of similar age to the R720 ? The HP Z800/Z820 or the Dell T series? The motherboard is similar to the R720 (dual socket, lots of RAM slots) but workstations are much quieter.