An unfixible problem that I dont have the skill to fix!

madslink

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
Heya out there.

I start with my problem that I have been trying to fix for a decade. The problem is related to Far Cry 5 with my custom built PC.

The problem is that I have been experiencing loss in performence in the game with my PC. I cannot make up my mind if its the PC itself nor the game (which I highly dont doubt it could be).

What I tried so far in the following list
- Clean install of Windows 10
-Updating GPU driver and reverting back to older versions
- Overclocking CPU without good results
-Turning off SMT in BIOS
-Turning off Core boost in BIOS
-Changing power plan in Windows 10 between balanced, high performence and AMD's powerplan
-Checking temps. CPU is around 35 to 50 degrees in C. GPU are similiair in the degrees, just a bit higher. MOBO temp is on 40 C. So I wouldnt believe that could be the issue.
-Changing from Normal priority to High in Task Manager
-Reinstalling game
-Updating chipset
-Updating MOBO
-Disabling useless settings in Windows 10
-Moving the game to a SSD
-Turning down video settings in the game without difference

PC SPECS:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3,2Ghz OC'd to 3,4Ghz

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1050 TI 4GB, not OC'd

RAM: 1x8GB 2400Mhz DDR4 in Dual-channel, not OC'd

MOBO: MSI B350M GAMING PRO AM4

SSD: Samsung 860 Evo on 256GB (WIndows located)

HDD: Seagate on 2TB for most of my games

PSU: Corsair CX450M

FUN FACT
I were recently over by one of my friends for a lan party, since its been a while. We mostly discuss about PC parts and on-going PC development. I knew that we both had a very simalir PC and came to me that he should try out Far Cry 5 on his PC. I wanted to see if there were a difference in that game on his PC by its performance. It turned out that it ran perfectly on medium settings with steady 60FPS. I can barely keep up with 35 FPS, but he also got Intel that I should remember in the background. But what we got in common is that we both got the exact same graphics card, single-channel RAM and a CPU with 4 cores. He's CPU is a i5 from the fourth generation, but Intel is also known to be best suited for gaming.
Just wanted to tell that also in this thread :)

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Mixing & matching RAM, even of the same brand/speed/timings can be problematic. It may "work", equally, it may not.

I would highly suggest selling your 1x8GB 2400MHz and pick up 2x4GB (or ideally 2x8GB) 3000MHz, that appear on the QVL for your motherboard.
found your problem... SINGLE CHANNEL RAM

RAM: 8GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Single-channel, not OC'd

you need at least 8GB of DUAL CHANNEL DDR for that Ryzen to shine

I would get a a 2x8GB set of two sticks, matched. then it will run really fast and nice. if on budget get a 2x4GB set of two sticks matched

madslink

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016

You are right by that, I were thinking about that too.

madslink

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016

More ram makes a difference, like you said. Like my friend, he ran Far Cry 5 flawless on 1 stick of RAM, but it is a different system, completely 2 different brands. Also before I made this post, I have been digging around on the internet about that Ryzen likes their RAM. I do believe that, but damn. I might gonna buy another stick of the same RAM.

madslink

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016

I would think that it is updated to its current state. Uplay wont let me play a game without updating the game itself, otherwise by asking me to play offline while updating which I havent got anything about. But I will try looking more into this ;)

madslink

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016

I get what you are saying, but I made some confusion about the ram. I got a dual-channel in my MOBO, but called it single because that I only had 1 of that piece of ram out of 2 in the slot :)

I dont have the option in my MOBO with the quad channel, but the dual one. So if I get what you are saying, I could get the same pair of ram again, by putting it in the second slot that is available right? Im not gonna buy a whole new set, but only a piece of the same again, so I double it up.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Quad channel isn't supported, so let's put that aspect to bed please.

OP, do you have one stick or two? You listed only one, yet claim "dual channel". You cannot utilize dual channel with a single memory stick.

The Ryzen5 1400 is the weakest R5, so you really need to give it all the help you can.
Dual channel memory, and fast memory at that (3000MHz+, ideally).

Even if you replaced with 2x4GB @ 3000MHz, you'd see noticeable improvements.

Ultimately, for strictly gaming a 4th Gen i5 should have a slight IPC edge over an R5 1400 IMO. That assumes something like a 4440 or 4460. IF your friend has a 4670K or 4690K, overclocked, there's likely a wider margin there.

madslink

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016

I have 1 ram block installed currently. I called the slot for ram in my mobo dual channel, because there is only 2 slots, so thats were I got it from. Now I suppose that I can only call it dual channel when 2 pieces of ram is installed in the slots, but right now is the 1 memory stick running in slot 1 out of 2. I apoligize for misleading infomation :)

I have been looking into the idea about buying the exact same ram again and put it in slot 2. This is also what I came to, if I want to squeeze out every part of my PC benificially, same goes for the Mhz :)

My friend has one of those CPU's you listed in the end, tho he hasent ever OC'd before. But it explains a lot.

madslink

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016

You know what? Im gonna get another stick of the same next month, so I can the most out of my Ryzen. I do believe that Ryzen will perform better in dual-channel, after all that infomation I have found on the web and the same that you told me.

It makes sense to me in this situation. Im gonna mark it as solved :) Aint much more I can do right now, but what I can do is to buy another piece of ram to see results ;)

Thanks for all the help :D

P.S is there anything else you want to tell me?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Mixing & matching RAM, even of the same brand/speed/timings can be problematic. It may "work", equally, it may not.

I would highly suggest selling your 1x8GB 2400MHz and pick up 2x4GB (or ideally 2x8GB) 3000MHz, that appear on the QVL for your motherboard.

Solution