Analog Display Technologies Being Phased Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
no!!!! yes!!!

they should channel the analogy through DVI port or HDMI port, this way you can use analog through an adopter.

Oh well, the only think i have anology is my Projector and its barely used, dont want to give it away for cheap sigh

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
They need to just phase out everything BUT HDMI. If they end support in 2015, devices will still be around for another 10 years (at least). Wish they'd start sooner.

It's just as well. They need to focus on making HD technology more consistent. At least with analog, the picture just becomes more fuzzy instead of completely dropping out for a second or two with digital.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]plznote[/nom]Did I read that right?Intel working with AMD?[/citation]

It's not uncommon for rival companies to work together if it will benefit them both.. o.o

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Aroud the same time that VGA support ends I expect to hear news that the mercury from the lamps of CRTs(and some old flat panels) to have poisoned some water supply somewhere in the world because of unsrupulous "recyclers".

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]teflon2287[/nom]What is the advantage of DisplayPort over DVI anyway?[/citation]

Isn't it supposed to be similar to the advantage of HDMI over DVI?

mrmoo500

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
[citation][nom]orionantares[/nom]Isn't it supposed to be similar to the advantage of HDMI over DVI?[/citation]
What are those adavantages? HDMI is most certainly not better than DVI.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I like VGA. The cables are cheap, you get good quality, and it's easy to setup. None of this digital business where your computer tries to be clever in detecting the display and ends up screwing you over.

*Viewed on a monitor connected to a 5850 via DVI

firemachine69

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
How ironic... I just purchased an Asus 18.5" LCD this past week from staples for $65 (+$15 eco-fee... I know...), and all it had in the back was a VGA port. Frankly, I could maybe go up to dual 21" setup, which is still well-served by VGA.

I also know of very few people interesting in purchasing a monitor over 22", dual or not. Consumers want cheap electronics (especially computers), not HD or big.

P.S. finding that HDMI:VGA adapter for my 9600GT was a pain in the arse. :D

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I'd love for this change to happen. There's nothing worse than having to go buy overpriced display adapters and having your picture quality suffer for it. Make new standards that are more future-proof, such as HDMI. And universal, for that matter. HDMI is going to become to displays what USB has become for everything else electronic.

pandemonium_ctp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
As long as backwards compatability isn't removed completely, fine. I plan on using my graphics CRT for a while yet (going on 10 years now).

Moving forward is good. Screwing those with invested equipment from the past is bad.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
They should go with the hypertransport protocol. HDMI, and Display Port just reads like jet another networking standard in wikipedia. Why have video cable standards, if it is really just data going from A to B. I suspect the extra complexity is to support DHCP, which is a hassle for consumers, and do nothing to fight piracy.

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
[citation][nom]teflon2287[/nom]What is the advantage of DisplayPort over DVI anyway?[/citation]

The DisplayPort specification offers more bandwidth than current implementations of DVI or HDMI, which potentially translates to higher resolutions, greater color depth, and/or higher refresh rates.

HDMI and DisplayPort support audio and video on the same cable, whereas DVI only supports video. Unlike HDMI, however, DisplayPort is royalty free.

Finally, DisplayPort has the ability to transport multiple audio/video streams over the same cable, which means multiple monitors can theoretically be driven by a single port.

erikstarcher

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
[citation][nom]shoelessinsight[/nom]The DisplayPort specification offers more bandwidth than current implementations of DVI or HDMI, which potentially translates to higher resolutions, greater color depth, and/or higher refresh rates.HDMI and DisplayPort support audio and video on the same cable, whereas DVI only supports video. Unlike HDMI, however, DisplayPort is royalty free.Finally, DisplayPort has the ability to transport multiple audio/video streams over the same cable, which means multiple monitors can theoretically be driven by a single port.[/citation]
You can also pass usb over the DisplayPort. That way only one cable needs to be connected between pc and monitor for video, audio, and usb.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
My KVM switch's days are numbered. I don't fancy buying an HDMI-to-VGA adapter to connect new technology to it.

I also don't relish the idea of buying VGA-to-HDMI adapters for laptops that only have analog outputs. It's as if someone at this meeting said, "How can we get people to get rid of their old hardware, even when it's perfectly usable? I know, let's make it no longer usable!"

Imagine walking into a conference room with a laptop for a sales presentation, only to discover that the room requires a digital video signal. Oops. Wasn't the whole purpose of DVI-I to make it so that we could gracefully transition from analog to digital, and if so why is it not present on more laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.