Analyst: Apple to Make HDTVs by 2011

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

audioee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
It will require you to buy an iPhone or iPod Touch and a remote control app to run it. And then Apple will reject all remote control apps except their own or add the functionality into the OS.

And of course the TV will be boxed in a shinny metal case that reflects any and all light, which just doesn't work well for a home theater. Don't forget it will have some weird brown gradient from top to bottom and all complaints in the Apple forums will be ignored and then deleted. And then it will only be Apple Display port compatible and require a $90 adapter that only Apple sells.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
actually, this seems like a really logical step for apple (heh, using logic, guess they're trying something new). their monitors, though expensive, are well respected amongst artists ect. and all of their digital distro stuff, apple tv ect could be integrated.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
i have to agree with a majority of the people here, Apple is getting into something that is way out of their league. Their prices for what they want to do will be outragous to say the least. And with all the limitations they will put in place will scare the average viewer away.

onsiteone

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
I can hear the 10% of the population (apple customers) rejoicing. While the other 90% shakes their heads and moans.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]Great, I wonder how many people are gonna pay double the price just to see the Apple logo hanging from their wall.[/citation]
LOL

Give me the original LG model and save $$$$.

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Renting and Buying Movies and TV Shows off iTunes proved futile as both NBC and ABC backed out to join Hulu. Apple should really just improve the current ATV OS and release the PureVideo driver binaries or source.

G

I have to laugh when I read commentary around windows media center. The program is and has always been a huge POS. Plex media center for OS-X works perfectly out of the box with little or no fiddling around. Connect up a Drobo with 4 1.5 or 2 TB drives and you have a home theatre monster.

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Apple's deal with LG is about computer displays. Apple is NOT going to introduce a TV set. Apart from that, the predictions of a DVR set top box are probably pretty close.

They already make a really cool, reasonably priced, (and not particularly well known) product named "AppleTV". It allows playback of your iTunes library, podcasts, and streaming SD and HD on demand movies from a broadband connection. Outputs are HDMI, composite, and component video, HDMI, optical, and analog audio. It's overdue for a significant hardware upgrade. Add a tuner, a DVR like scheduler, and a larger HD and you've got everything described except for a TV screen. Include a DVD player or DVD burner and it can be a DVD and DVR device.

For all I know, it could be announced at their event on Sept 9th or it may never happen, but it's certainly plausible. A TV monitor from Apple is not plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.