Analyst: BlackBerry 10 Will Not Save RIM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auroram

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Oh look, yet another self fulfilling prophecy where a "negative" analasys keeps people away from a potentially great product. He says that he hasn't seen anything good yet... before the actual presentation has even started.

Seriously, why do these people even get paid at all for this crap? Furthermore, why would Tom's publish this at all in the first place?

G

I won't be considering it to be honest, only android or windows phone for me

My analyst friend tells me most analysts are usally those who are right enough times to be worthwhile to be kept by the company but not accurate enought to risk it all in the world with their own money. I always keep this in mind whenever news says "analysts predict blah blah blah"

G

this Article it's the same pubblished in the middle of December 2012. Made your research and think about it.

fnh

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Don't they have a similar saying for movies: "If you can't act/direct/film/produce, be a film critic?"

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
The momentum right now seems to be with Google. A lot of businesses are moving to Google's online software (word docs, spreadsheets, etc...)... not because these are great products, but rather because they are free. I work in education myself (a big business) and we will most likely be dumping MS Office next year when our current license runs out and just moving to Google online for free. I prefer MS products over the free ones from Google.... but I can also get by with what Google offers and its free.

So how does this tie in? Well android is part of that total integration. And it just makes sense to go with one company from a business standpoint.

RIM on the other hand is a completely independent operating system. Who's going to bother with it at this point? If RIM had acted sooner... 2 -3 years ago... I suspect we'd see a different outcome, but now... its just too late. Add to that the total lack of real online services and I don't see many businesses wanting this.

BB10 doesn't need to be a hit like the iPhone was in 2007. It needs to prove RIM still has battle left and can design stuff people wants.

From the articles and news around BB10 and the upcoming new smartphones from them, I'd say they can do this and get some marketshare back.

Interface is sleek, the phone themselves are gorgeous and they have great network quality. In this last point, from all the phones friends have had (I personally haven't owned one), the only ones with zero problems for a call or using 3G was their BBs. They're always complaining how the iPhone and Android phones lack in the most stupid part of the actual thing you buy: phone quality. They changed them because of higher specs and functionality, but miss the BB-only goodies (don't know what they mean with them).

Cheers!

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]BB10 doesn't need to be a hit like the iPhone was in 2007. It needs to prove RIM still has battle left and can design stuff people wants.From the articles and news around BB10 and the upcoming new smartphones from them, I'd say they can do this and get some marketshare back.Interface is sleek, the phone themselves are gorgeous and they have great network quality. In this last point, from all the phones friends have had (I personally haven't owned one), the only ones with zero problems for a call or using 3G was their BBs. They're always complaining how the iPhone and Android phones lack in the most stupid part of the actual thing you buy: phone quality. They changed them because of higher specs and functionality, but miss the BB-only goodies (don't know what they mean with them).Cheers![/citation]

BB only goodies include:
Universal inbox.
Instant email push. (android/ios have delays)
BBM.
Awesome keyboard.
Application integration between social networking, address book, calendar, universal inbox, etc...
Trackpad (yeah, others had it, but BB almost ALWAYS had it).

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Ya... and Apple's market valuation was going to be 1 trillion; predicted analyts. Except it fell a couple hundred billion and settled in the 400's (billion). The smart phone market is just to volatile and can swing wildly.

The consumer market could get saturated. A backlash could erupt against big/inconvenient screen sizes. Hacking/malicious code embedded in apps could sink an OS and the parent company. The patent wars could lead to dull products, sales recession.

[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]BB only goodies include:Universal inbox.Instant email push. (android/ios have delays) BBM.Awesome keyboard.Application integration between social networking, address book, calendar, universal inbox, etc...Trackpad (yeah, others had it, but BB almost ALWAYS had it).[/citation]

Looking at the keynote I have to say, RIM has a sh!t ton of goodies I never knew of. Really impressed.

Let's hope it's a good product for everyone. BB10 looks like a solid OS to me, but I need a hands on.

Cheers!

G

The problem with BB is that there is no room for a 4th competitor. Hell there isnt room for a 3rd competitor (microsoft). Apple had the world in the palm of their hand with the first truly well-designed consumer oriented mobile OS. But they were stupid and greedy and locked it down to the iPhone, thinking their swath of patents would make it impossible for anyone to ever copy it. Android handed them their ass in a bag and brought the same beauty and functionality to the *entire* mobile ecosystem, hence the 2 biggest players. Nobody is really interested in *who* makes the mobile OS, we all know we just want one. Microsoft is the red-headed-stepchild of the bunch trying to squeeze their way in but it'll never work. It's still a smart business move even when it comes at a loss, because it allows them to stay somewhat relevant in the world outside of PC's and Xbox. Basically losing 10 billion per year on WinMo is better than losing 50 billion a year on other failed endeavors.

And then you have RIM, who's only claim to fame was push email back in early 2000. Sure they have other "features", but this is the only one anybody cared about. It was a genius idea at the time, and unfortunately for them their only idea. Apple/Google were slow to catch on to the importance of this, but once finally mastered there is literally no reason whatsoever to use a BB. So RIM is finally catching up to the friendly mobile OS that we have all come to love, about 10 years too late lol. When somebody walks into their phone store they have a series of decisions to make. Do they like the phone, and do they like the OS on it? For RIM to stand out in all of these categories and actually offer a legitimate reason for someone to choose over iphone/android is simply impossible. Nobody is going to give a damn about a BB at that point, when they have so many other and better options to choose from.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
It is better than Windows 8 Phone by mile for sure. If this doesn't save RIM, Windows 8 Phone for sure won't save Microsoft or better say Windows 8 as an idea.

farensabri

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]No one cares about analysts or studies.[/citation]
exactly

teens and young adults don't give a shit about analysts to buy their fav phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts