Analysts, Vendors Discuss Future of Mobile Processing Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
How about they start working on making a smartphone....that can function properly as a phone? I've had 4 smartphones...only 1 of which didn't have it's "phone" functionality gimped to the point of being almost entirely useless. Both my Samsung phones....useless as a cellphone. My HTC Trophy, as long as you don't need to understand the person you're talking to, it almost works. My old Blackberry Pearl....was barely a smartphone but worked flawlessly as a cellphone. Seems as phones advance....the ability to make phone calls (which was the entire point of a phone) seems to be more lacking. I don't care if I have to charge my "phone" every night.....if it can't make a phone call, the battery life isn't going to convince me to buy it.

guess who

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Ignorant Zak

Please do some research before you comments on the Samsung 8 core CPU. Facts matter and you are distorting them.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]The future of mobile processing power is the AMD APU, Acclerated Processing Unit.[/citation]
Putting all of your eggs in one basket is not a smart move. Also, we are not at the point where we can put a x86 CPU or APU in a phone yet. And at that point something better than the APU might come along.

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
"Quad-core CPUs will have become the standard for mobile devices," explained Wuebbling. "While some may try to move beyond quad-core, we don't believe there will be a perceptible user benefit."

Anybody remember the days of the old 286, 386 and 486 days... analysts made similar assumptions back then as well...

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
"You can't keep packing in bigger batteries because people are used to thin phones."

says who? i like my samsung galaxy nexus.. but if they had two models there one with the current thin 1850 mah battery and another thicker model with a 4k+ mah battery.. not only would i choose the bigger phone hell i'd have even paid more for the 4k+ battery

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]says who? i like my samsung galaxy nexus.. but if they had two models there one with the current thin 1850 mah battery and another thicker model with a 4k+ mah battery.. not only would i choose the bigger phone hell i'd have even paid more for the 4k+ battery[/citation]

Every phone I've owned (except old iPhone) has had an expansion battery accessory that offered better battery life and made the phone thicker, offering *you* that option. While I appreciate a phone that I don't *need* to plug in every night (my S3 is awesome like that), I would rather not have a brick next to my face, or in my pocket.

Battery technology is only innovating because phones are getting thinner. If most people didn't care how thick a phone was, you'd still be using a NIMH battery in that phone your carrying now.

You can keep your early 90's cell phone design. I'll take better technology and smaller batteries thank you.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]How about they start working on making a smartphone....that can function properly as a phone? I've had 4 smartphones...only 1 of which didn't have it's "phone" functionality gimped to the point of being almost entirely useless. Both my Samsung phones....useless as a cellphone. My HTC Trophy, as long as you don't need to understand the person you're talking to, it almost works. My old Blackberry Pearl....was barely a smartphone but worked flawlessly as a cellphone. Seems as phones advance....the ability to make phone calls (which was the entire point of a phone) seems to be more lacking. I don't care if I have to charge my "phone" every night.....if it can't make a phone call, the battery life isn't going to convince me to buy it.[/citation]

on a land line, i cant understand people, or even tell who they are.
i hate phones of any kind
hell, you want me to like a phone? make its sound quality as good as google talk.
give me a 100$ mic and a 100$ speaker and let me hear it in the quality...
make the phones a bit thicker to accomidate it,
thats all i really want, i want to be able to hear the difference between people, i want to know who they are on voice alone.

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I just hope it doesn't stagnate like display tech has done. I mean, 1080p is a LOW resolution and has been for years, same with consoles. DirectX9 just won't die because there has been no need to advance as long as we keep spending money on stale tech

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
They are wrong on thin phones. I want the fat one for more power and longer life. I have no interest in razor thin phones, they are terrible to hold for long and kill better graphics/cpu's. Give me back a phone double the thickness of current top phones and I'm fine. It was some idiot that decided it was a race to thin. They didn't ask us. I'm not talking freaking huge, but bring back anything near double the iphone etc and I'd be fine with it. At least offer your top phone as one with 2 battery sizes/thickness. I'd like to see a Tegra4 at 2ghz with 2x thicker than iphone5. That's a great phone to me. Probably battery well over 10hrs and doubles as a great little console due to the chip power. You may even be able to hit 2.5ghz with that big of a batter. The extra width would completely be battery, so spend a 1/3 on increasing life and 2/3 of that extra battery on juice sucking SOC power. :) I'll buy a smartphone with the word THIN isn't used in it's description as a selling point. Until then forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.