Ancient laptop, worth adding more RAM?

locoman

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I have a very old Acer Aspire One 725 laptop. My mother wanted to use it mainly for video calls with her church friends using facebook group calls, but it's just not strong enough for them, it seems.
Here are the specs:
  • CPU AMD C-60 1 GHz Dual-Core 1.33 GHz
  • 2 GB DDR3
  • RADEON HD 6290
The main reason she wants to use the computer instead of the phone is that they're usually 10 or 12 people, and with the android version she can't see more than 8 people at a time, while on computer she can display up to 16. I could take the RAM to 4 GB (according to the service manual I found it doesn't take more than that) and maybe replace the HD for a SSD... so my question is how much would that help?. I know the CPU is rather weak, and I don't know whether the extra RAM would help that much considering that when I do try a video call the CPU spikes at 100% but the RAM use doesn't rise above 90%. Basically I don't want to spend the money and then find out it doesn't help at all.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Changing to an SSD would be more noticeable than ram if you have enough of it. 4GB of ram is the minimum these days but 2 is actually still okay provided that the workload isn’t heavy.