[SOLVED] Ancient PC case - still sufficient?

Sep 5, 2020
Hey everyone!

As I suppose many people, I'm planning to update my whole rig with the upcoming new series of graphic cards. I'm currently extremely unhappy with what I have especially regarding noise during gaming sessions. So to avoid having a noisy experience that prevents me from immersing myself in games, I was wondering about sufficient airflow in my pc case as well.

I've read up a bit about proper airflow in pc cases and it kinda sounds to me like my specific case is horribly designed - I am, however, not sure if this even matters as I heard from many sources that any PC case will essentially do unless aesthetics are an important factor.

Image of the case: View: https://imgur.com/a/fkIEYSg

It's from a standard media PC I bought 15 years ago or so, I don't even remember...it's ancient :). What concerns me the most is that the case has a side fan and a back fan (and that's it), which seems to be a fan positioning that is nowhere to be found nowadays. So I'm worried that this creates a horrible airflow that might contribute to the noise production of my GPU/CPU.

I would appreciate opinions from you more knowledgeable folks regarding this - should I better switch my PC to a new home, or is that still a perfectly usable case?

E: PC stats as asked for:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz (planning to upgrade to a Ryzen)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-K (will be replaced due to CPU upgrade)
Ram: 16GB
SSD/HDD: Samsung 860 QVO 2TB SSD, Samsung HD103UJ 2TB HDD, WDC WD20EARX-008FB0 1TB
GPU: Gainward RTX 2060 SUPER Ghost (Will be upgraded to the 3080 series)
PSU: Be Quiet! 630W (will be upgraded to Corsair RM850x)

Last edited:
Solution
First off, thanks a bunch for your response! I added the specs, didn't seem to me like that was really relevant at the time of posting.
It seems to go into that direction, but in my case the PSU is at the bottom, so apparently it's some other CoolerMaster model. Added an image of the inside in case that gives any important pointers. I never heard what type it is, they just came in stock in a PC store chain in Germany (Atelco) at that time for all their pre-assembled machines.

Despite the other placement of the PSU it still sounds like I could benefit from changing it though, so I guess I'll dig a bit into that :).
Here's a few popular models that are good quality and good airflow to check out-...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Your case being the Force 500 from CoolerMaster has a top mounted PSU position and a number of 5.25" drive bay options that would be useless in 2020(and further). In today's cases, you have less wastage and more refined placements for the PSU and storage, not to mention cablemanagement options and a cleaner/refined airflow path. The case you own does have from to back airflow but it's not as efficient as today's cases.

Reactions: Some_Guy_87
Sep 5, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Your case being the Force 500 from CoolerMaster has a top mounted PSU position and a number of 5.25" drive bay options that would be useless in 2020(and further). In today's cases, you have less wastage and more refined placements for the PSU and storage, not to mention cablemanagement options and a cleaner/refined airflow path. The case you own does have from to back airflow but it's not as efficient as today's cases.

First off, thanks a bunch for your response! I added the specs, didn't seem to me like that was really relevant at the time of posting.
It seems to go into that direction, but in my case the PSU is at the bottom, so apparently it's some other CoolerMaster model. Added an image of the inside in case that gives any important pointers. I never heard what type it is, they just came in stock in a PC store chain in Germany (Atelco) at that time for all their pre-assembled machines.

Despite the other placement of the PSU it still sounds like I could benefit from changing it though, so I guess I'll dig a bit into that :).

Last edited:

Here's a few popular models that are good quality and good airflow to check out-

Solution
Sep 5, 2020