Android 2.2 Beats Apple iOS 4 in Benchmark Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
In the red corner!!!
Apple fanbois leaping to the defence of their crappy iPhone!!!
In the blue corner!!!
Android owners laughing their asses off!!!

Let's get ready to rumble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Proven time and time again. Toms benches hardware everyday... Showing 6 cores mean nothing with software that doesn't utilize it.

dargon_supreme

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
It doesn´t need to be the fastest one. It only needs to be fast enough. So the questions is: Are iPhone OS4 and Android fast enough?. If the answer is 'yes', it is useless to compare them.

Phoenixkatera

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Cool! I'm ready to dump AT&T for Verizon when the Droid X comes out. I wonder how "new hardware" with Android 2.2 would perform in comparison to Apples' iPhone 4

There's a surprise, another story taken from engadget.com
Don't Toms staff have any other sources?

If it's old news to you then why click on the article? I happen to not explore every tech site on the web and like to see the news even if someone else's post I'll never see got it out first.

Thanks Toms!

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I would like to see battery life comparisons, something that is important to a cell phone. I know both platforms have had problems in this area.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]Phoenixkatera[/nom]...If it's old news to you then why click on the article? I happen to not explore every tech site on the web and like to see the news even if someone else's post I'll never see got it out first.Thanks Toms![/citation]

Same. I don't have to check 400 tech sites a day because Tom's usually gets it all.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]officeguy[/nom]Who cares, they are phones, not PC's or gaming consoles? I fail to see the point of this!![/citation]
The point is that Android fanboys finally rejoice as their beloved Android wins a in a Javascript rendering benchmark, which has very little to do with everyday web browsing experience.
What they fail to realize is that iOS still feels snappier, and while they have Flash enabled and improved Javascript rendering, their battery life keeps decreasing....
Kudos to Google for keeping up with the fight though and being a good competitor. This will increase innovation and hopefully lower prices.

fixxxer07

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
[citation][nom]dargon_supreme[/nom]It doesn´t need to be the fastest one. It only needs to be fast enough. So the questions is: Are iPhone OS4 and Android fast enough?. If the answer is 'yes', it is useless to compare them.[/citation]
Fast enough today... but I'd like to be sure I get a phone with enough headroom to run whatever apps are gonna be rolling out 1.5 years from now, if I'm gonna be locked into a phone for two years.

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]fixxxer07[/nom]Fast enough today... but I'd like to be sure I get a phone with enough headroom to run whatever apps are gonna be rolling out 1.5 years from now, if I'm gonna be locked into a phone for two years.[/citation]

That's fine and all, but if the investment was already made into apps for a certain platform, it's going to take more than a faster browser test to get someone to leave that platform and buy all new ones.

I think it's interesting but I use the Chrome browser and am not really surprised by this. It doesn't really reflect which hardware is really more powerful either, so what you're saying doesn't really add up.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Euphoria_MK[/nom]What they fail to realize is that iOS still feels snappier[/citation]
Is that another way of saying you think it is faster, despite numbers proving it
err
isn't?

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]In the red corner!!!Apple fanbois leaping to the defence of their crappy iPhone!!!In the blue corner!!!Android owners laughing their asses off!!!Let's get ready to rumble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/citation]

I'm in the blue corner laughing with my EVO.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Phoenixkatera[/nom]Cool! I'm ready to dump AT&T for Verizon when the Droid X comes out.[/citation]
I recall Anand's "Total cost of ownership" calculation, about 2.5-3k $ over 2 years for a phone. I wonder, why are you guys paying so much for it? Can't you buy a "standalone' phone, whithout signing draconian contract?

PS
Sorry for offtopic.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Is that another way of saying you think it is faster, despite numbers proving iterrisn't?[/citation]
Javascript benchmark has nothing to do with how fast a phone iOS is.
You fail to realize that Android has a custom Java engine and this handles Java scripts more efficiently. The other thing is that not too many apps use Java, and the overall Phone OS is not running on Java, thus this benchmark has very little to do with overall performance and feel of the Phone OS.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Hahahhahahhahhaaa

One single benchmark and people are ready to claim victory?

Is this what other smartphone companies are now going to do? Run meaningless tests so they can come up with a numerical figure claiming their phones superiority to the iPhone?

Why don't we talk about sales numbers? I know you Appple haters (and Apple smartphone competititors) must HATE the fact Apple is selling iPhones in quantities you could only dream of.

The smartphone market is only so big, and every iPhone sold is another lost potential sale for everyone else. How soon before Apple completely dominates the smartphone market?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Euphoria_MK[/nom]Javascript benchmark has nothing to do with how fast a phone iOS is.You fail to realize that Android has a custom Java engine and this handles Java scripts more efficiently. The other thing is that not too many apps use Java, and the overall Phone OS is not running on Java, thus this benchmark has very little to do with overall performance and feel of the Phone OS.[/citation]
Fair play, they did say that in the post above and coutered it with the following
The benchmark score disparity doesn't fully reflect real world use, however. Engadget put the two mobile browsers against each other and, while the Android 2.2 Nexus One was still faster in almost all cases, the iPhone 4 wasn't far behind at all. Then again, the Nexus One was running Flash. With Flash disabled on the Android browser, the Nexus One was even faster.
So even with the Arkensaw Chuggabug that is Flash, which supposedless is slower than an oiltanker running through hot tar, it still beat the iPhone for speed. When it worked on a level playing field and turned Flash off, guess what?
Faster.
In real world use.
Android is faster than iPhone.
Period.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]How soon before Apple completely dominates the smartphone market?[/citation]

Well that wouldnt be so great... The day when Apple dominates the whole mobile market is the day when innovation will cease to exist... Healthy competition is good for consumers, price-wise and innovation-wise.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]When it worked on a level playing field and turned Flash off, guess what?Faster.In real world use.Android is faster than iPhone.Period.[/citation]

It seems that you are confusing Internet Browser Benchmarks with Mobile Phone OS performance. Last thing I heard, neither iOS nor Android is running it's OS on top of an Internet Browser...

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Hey Tom's, you forgot the most important benchmark test of all "SPEED TO AN OFFICIAL RELEASE", which as you may have noticed has been obliterated by iOS4 when compared to Android 2.2. "The Android phones will be getting 2.2 soon"??? According to the rumor mill (our only source of official Android news) many think that the official 2.2 won't hit the major phones until the end of 2010...

Status
Not open for further replies.