Android 6.0 Marshmallow Brings New OEM Requirements For Encryption, Fingerprints And Verified Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never enabled encryption because it meant I had to record video at a lower resolution.

With encryption enabled on these future phones, are we still going to be seeing 4K, or even 1080P video recordings? They've gotten that good already? Cool.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I'm never going back to android... Why should I have to buy a new phone to have the "privilege " of running the latest iteration with the latest updates because the scam artist manufacturers won't update the system because they want to force me to buy their latest phone...

Running iPhone 6 right now and have already gotten 2 superb OS updates and a number of security updates as well...

I'm never going back to the android ecosystem...

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I'm never going back to android... Why should I have to buy a new phone to have the "privilege " of running the latest iteration with the latest updates because the scam artist manufacturers won't update the system because they want to force me to buy their latest phone...

Running iPhone 6 right now and have already gotten 2 superb OS updates and a number of security updates as well...

Um Apple just did the same thing with their 6s with 3D touch. Where if you jailbreak IOS9 on an iPhone 6 you can enable the Touch 3D without the need to buy a new iPhone 6s.

also it is not Androids fault, it is the OEM and carriers fault. They create this planned obsolesce by not implementing updates to their phones but if you buy the Nexus phones from google you get updates way past the 2 year cycle.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

Buy phones with chipsets being well supported by Cyanogenmod and you'll have lots of OS updates for free for years to come. Pretty much means you need to buy Android phones with Qualcomm, Samsung/Exynos, Intel, or Nvidia processors. The "other" SoC manufacturers don't release the source code with their products which is required for other engineers to be able to make their own spins of the software for those devices.

What they're doing is illegal but since they're mostly in China there's nothing we can do because China be like "fuck following international laws".

Bottom line: avoid Mediatek, Rockchip, Allwinner, and Amlogic based devices for a good android experience.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
My Mum is using my old Iphone since I will never again use an Apple product. It is stuck on IOS 3 or 4 I can't remember now. Apple updates FTW.

My old HTC Desire is still getting updates via third party roms. It should be running Marshmallow in not too long.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i really hope fingerprints never become a widely used thing, i never want to risk someone cutting my finger off because they think they can make some money off me, or risk another mandolin accident that shaves a sizeable chunk of my finger off rendering an object i own unuseable.

I think the people that don't have any hands would be up in arms if it were mandatory.

Mitch94

Reputable
May 5, 2015
So, if what I think I'm hearing is right they're making it hard to root their phones, I dont want to own a non-rooted android non root sucks .with this secure boot junk it will be nearly impossible not to mention the fact that for new phones downgrading to kitkat and then back up will be out of the picture

Mitch94

Reputable
May 5, 2015
Well, to be fair I hear that 1 sucked alot ,....OF BATTERY OWNED. sorry had to but in all seriousness as much as I hate apple's buisness and motto their update system is sleek

Status
Not open for further replies.