Android Console 'GameStick' Already Doubles $100K Goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
The video looks like they just stared at the Ouya video, and copied it entirely.
Their "focus" on a great controller. Their "focus" on the TV. Being "open".

These guys are just throwing around terms they think will make them cash. And it's working.
I really hope their honest and serious, but it really doesn't feel that way.
Anyone know how trust-able they really are?

G

Let me ask you one question, how many of you move your console around to play casual games on a tv AND are bothered by it's size? I think it's a better idea to have your phone just connect to tv's wirelessly(a lot of modern tv's have wi-fi), in fact, there's already phones that do this. This is a stupid thing you'll regret buying, the hardware will be outdated within less than a year and you'll be left unable to play the next big mobile games. Do you really see yourself playing angry birds on your TV? Or jetpack joyride? Or temple run?

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Android is a good OS, but it's not that great for a very large screen. Then again, I never tried to use Android with a game controller.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]athulajp[/nom]Let me ask you one question, how many of you move your console around to play casual games on a tv AND are bothered by it's size? I think it's a better idea to have your phone just connect to tv's wirelessly(a lot of modern tv's have wi-fi), in fact, there's already phones that do this. This is a stupid thing you'll regret buying, the hardware will be outdated within less than a year and you'll be left unable to play the next big mobile games. Do you really see yourself playing angry birds on your TV? Or jetpack joyride? Or temple run?[/citation]
Everyone is not the same with the same needs wants and requirements. I do not have a console; should I conclude nobody (including you) wants a console?

MatthiasB

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Am I the only one who hates this project? The video sounds like Apple with how much they've had to innovate but that is hardly the case. There are gaming controllers for Android and an Android in a stick has been sold by generic Asian companies for more than a year now. All they're really innovating on is adapting an Android version with their own store and UI

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Seems pretty scammy to me. It has similar specs to those Chinese android on a stick devices that sell for $50, which are also open, and powered by the HDMI port, and have the same GPU, similarly clocked dual core CPU, wifi, bluetooth, additional USB port for other devices, and a host of other similar features.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]Seems pretty scammy to me. It has similar specs to those Chinese android on a stick devices that sell for $50, which are also open, and powered by the HDMI port, and have the same GPU, similarly clocked dual core CPU, wifi, bluetooth, additional USB port for other devices, and a host of other similar features.[/citation]
open? you mean they have shematics and stuff posted online, i doubt that

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Good idea, playing games on a tablet, or god forbid my smart phone, is frustrating unless you're playing something with incredibly basic controls such as Angry Birds.

However, they seem to talk more about the games and less about the controller. Like most kickstarter projects they probably will waste most of the money and produce a crappy product that any real company could do much better. I'm certainly not putting any money towards this, but if a real game controller manufacturer put out a nicely sized controller for a decent price I'd be interested. Hell, if I could get my 360 controller to work with my tablet I'd be happy!

G

I for one love the idea and hope that either Ouya or Gamestick makes it and creates the marketplace for TV android games. It will enable small time developers to create games which they would not be able to make for the consoles or PCs because of the high cost of getting into those. Mobile development on the other hand is much more affordable and we'll be able to see people take risks with the projects that the big companies would not even touch.

My hope is that it will be like the beginnings of PC gaming when games were build by individuals and there was more innovation than we see these days.

Not a fan of the controller on this one but who knows maybe it works fine.

urbanman2004

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
I've never been fond of playing Android titles on a bigger screen especially for the fact that the aspect ratio would obliterated for most of the titles because they have non-hd visuals. But still i think its a nice idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.