Android Growth Decreases iPad Market Share

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]As more and more people realize the power of Android Apple will lose more and more market share. This is happening big time in the Chinese market which is why Apple saw its iPhone 5 arrive to a luke-warm reception. I rather hope it's contagious and will (hopefully) happen in the US market. Competition is great and I hope it forces Apple to make better products and litigate less.[/citation]

iPhone 5 isn't sold in China yet. It was just cleared for sale. Likely, there will be riot police on guard around apple stores when iPhone 5 goes on sale in China.
-IvanTO

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
What people fail to realize that choice is always good for the end user. If Apple goes away then innovation will definitely suffer.
Not really since Apple has been failing to innovate their iPad line. They added Retina display (still kinda gimmicky) and a faster processor, but they are not pushing the market. Even if the only tablet OS was Android there are a vast number of manufacturers all trying to make newer better tablets to get your money. There is still the Playbook (while small, it still represents a market share and Blackberry isn't dead yet) and Windows 8/RT. While the Windows tablets haven't won over the market, they are still selling and haven't been abandoned (cough cough, HP and webOS). MS is going to continue to push Win 8 hard.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

It sounds more like you're talking about iPads - incremental spec changes, no new features (Retina display = meh) and no innovation. The thing is nearly the same as when it first came out. Android tablets - pen input for writing, keyboard docks with USB and extra batteries, microSD slots for storage, HDMI output. And Apple didn't created the marketspace, Microsoft did years earlier, but failed to make it work. Apple made it work for consumers.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
And yet the iPad accounts for almost 90% of Internet traffic for tablets. So what are all those Android tablets being used for? Are they sitting on the shelf unused? Even IBM's results from Black Friday showed the iPad accounted for 88.3% of all tablet shopping. This also supports the 90% figure that several other companies have posted.

Now I just know some idiot is going to try and claim that Android devices running Chrome will appear as a desktop device so it skews the numbers. That's pure BS - analytics used by companies like IBM track the device make/model independent of the browser.

So does someone want to explain why the iPad has 90% of tablet traffic? Or do you want to come up with BS excuses to try and debunk the data instead?

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]As more and more people realize the power of Android Apple will lose more and more market share. This is happening big time in the Chinese market which is why Apple saw its iPhone 5 arrive to a luke-warm reception. I rather hope it's contagious and will (hopefully) happen in the US market. Competition is great and I hope it forces Apple to make better products and litigate less.[/citation]
Sorry, but Androids success in market share has nothing to do with people "realizing the power". That only applies to phones like the GS3, which makes up a small % of all Android devices shipped. Have you ever been to China (or Asia)? They sell boatloads of cheap low-end Android devices to the masses. People buy them because that's what's on the shelf at the store, not because they made a conscious decision to "buy Android".

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]... Have you ever been to China (or Asia)? They sell boatloads of cheap low-end Android devices to the masses. People buy them because that's what's on the shelf at the store, not because they made a conscious decision to "buy Android".[/citation]

BS. I just came back from Taiwan and for each iPhone (3GS, 4, 4S or 5) I saw 2 Samsung Galaxy Note(or Note II) and Samsung Galaxy SII( or SIII), One HTC X alike, And many other big screen Android phones. What is most funny that here in US biggest complain about Note II is that is "too big", but in Taiwan the Note was predominately used by the ladies. I interviews several of them they all told me the same thing. They love the big screen... makes reading Chinese symbols much easier. The love the build-in stylus ... writing the Chinese symbols much easier. With pretty leather jacket Note II looks and feels like A6 size notebook and fits well into their purses. Man on other hand liked mostly GSIII because is very slim and fits well into their pockets.
So basically based on the fact that you repeating FUD propaganda I can tell with good certainty that you have not been in Asia at all.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'll be interested to see what kind of market share the new Microsoft Surface tablets will be able to pick up. I hope they can get at least 5-10%. Three companies competing is certainly better than two. I'm still interested in the Surface Pro, though I'm not sure that I'm willing to drop that much on a tablet.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I'll be interested to see what kind of market share the new Microsoft Surface tablets will be able to pick up. I hope they can get at least 5-10%. Three companies competing is certainly better than two. [/citation]
Hmmm...yeah, I guess I really wonder what the Surface Pro offers that I'd want in a tablet. The Pro offers shorter battery life and that's kinda a big deal for me. For anything more x86 related I'm not one that really wants a tablet, I prefer my laptop. I've had x86 Windows tablets, nice ones by Fujitsu, but I was not overly impressed. Perhaps I need to do more research on what the Pro might offer. Just because the Surface Pro doesn't seem like it'd really be useful to me doesn't mean there's not a whole lot of people holding their breath for it and its Gorilla Glass covered display and with ultra durable Kevlar body. Good bang for the buck.

Oh wait....

rocwurst

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
[citation][nom]SAL-e[/nom]Right, comparing MAX number with AVERAGE number .... nice (ab)use of statistics. Then you building your argument by correlating to incompatible datasets.[/citation]

Hey, if you have the number for how many tablets Google and Amazon sold in their first 3 days please feel free to present what would be even more embarrassingly small numbers. Or let's extrapolate from the last highest number of iPads sold in 3 days - the iPad 3 which sold 1.5 million and then went on to sell 17 million ove the quarter. Taking that as a datum, we could expect the iPad 4 and iPad mini to sell well over 30 million this quarter leaving the Kndle Fire HD and Nexus 7 even further in the dust.

rocwurst

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]... and you don't think it could be the other way around according to neutral sources?[/citation]

Pardon? Are you suggesting IBM, Strategy Analytics and OnSwipe are biased towards Apple? What a strange supposition.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]rocwurst[/nom]Hey, if you have the number for how many tablets Google and Amazon sold in their first 3 days please feel free to present what would be even more embarrassingly small numbers.[/citation]
I don't have the numbers, but those numbers would be irrelevant any way. Apple sells have completely different dynamic so comparing those numbers would be the wrong thing to do.

[citation][nom]rocwurst[/nom]Or let's extrapolate from the last highest number of iPads sold in 3 days - the iPad 3 which sold 1.5 million and then went on to sell 17 million ove the quarter. Taking that as a datum, we could expect the iPad 4 and iPad mini to sell well over 30 million this quarter leaving the Kndle Fire HD and Nexus 7 even further in the dust.[/citation]
Your extrapolation assumes that nothing has changed in the market since release of iPad3. Do you really believe that assumption is even close the reality!? Give me a break.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]GreaseMonkey_62[/nom]It sounds more like you're talking about iPads - incremental spec changes, no new features (Retina display = meh) and no innovation. The thing is nearly the same as when it first came out. Android tablets - pen input for writing, keyboard docks with USB and extra batteries, microSD slots for storage, HDMI output. And Apple didn't created the marketspace, Microsoft did years earlier, but failed to make it work. Apple made it work for consumers.[/citation]

#1. First to market != creating a market space.

I can create a flying car and sell 2 units and lose millions. Hyundai can make a flying car that millions of people buy, make billions and cause a dozen automotive makers to enter the market and try to replicate their product. They created the market space.

Windows tablets were nothing like what the iPad brought that's why they were a complete failure and no one bought them. iPad created the viable market space for tablets that was never seen before and causes almost every computer maker to come out with one.

HDMI outputs exist with the iPad. Bluetooth keyboards exist for the iPad.

What you mention are the very small changes, the major innovation of a touch only tablet was done by Apple. Adding ultra high res screen was also done by Apple. Manufacturers are copying the single body, embedded battery of Apple not going to easily replaceable batteries.

Apple has done very little innovation in the past few years as has Android manufacturers. But there is no questioning it was Apple that made this market space and brought the major innovation for tablets.

Status
Not open for further replies.