Question Android media box connection ?

hutchyl

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Should my media centre be connected to my computer via WiFi or Ethernet to enable me to watch video on my TV, or should it be connected to my router which is connected to the computer?

Currently it is Ethernet via a Powerline adapter from the router, then the router is connected to the computer via Ethernet, but some movies still freeze & buffer like this.

Last edited:
You can't really hook the tv to the computer. There are messy ways to let make your computer into a router but then it must be turned on all the time.

How far away is the tv from the computer. Can you run a ethernet cable between the location tv is and the computer is. You could then buy a small switch. You could plug the cable going to the router into the switch and then plug the computer and the tv into the switch and they would both share the cable going to the router.

It is somewhat strange that the tv has issues with powerline connection. Although they can be fairly slow they should be more than fast enough to watch streaming video. All you can really do is try another outlet and hope you get lucky.

hutchyl

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
You can't really hook the tv to the computer. There are messy ways to let make your computer into a router but then it must be turned on all the time.

How far away is the tv from the computer. Can you run a ethernet cable between the location tv is and the computer is. You could then buy a small switch. You could plug the cable going to the router into the switch and then plug the computer and the tv into the switch and they would both share the cable going to the router.

It is somewhat strange that the tv has issues with powerline connection. Although they can be fairly slow they should be more than fast enough to watch streaming video. All you can really do is try another outlet and hope you get lucky.
Thank you I agree the powerline should do it. I'm not sure what is going on. I am 81 years old & not as on it I used to be. I thought once I connected the Computer with a cable rather than WiFi to the router all would be good. It was great for a while then I got a Windows update & it turned to shit. WTF? I thought it had turned off ethernet & put on WiFI but no. I think I will just try to run an ethernet from the router to the Media box. Bit of a ah heck though, not my house & steel frame not timber so hard to get cables down the walls.

Although I wouldn't recommend it as you first choice to spend more moeny the "newer?" power units tend to work better. If you purchased the older technology that has number on the box like 200 or 500 this does not work as well as the units that have 1000 or 2000 numbers on the box.

There has not been much new in powerline technology in years so I suspect there is some technical limitation.

Do you happen to have coax cables near the router and the tv. You can use MoCA devices and these tend to work better than powerline...but they cost a bit more than powerline. You can get full 1gbit ethernet over them.

Ethernet cables are always the number 1 option if you can do it. Once they are installed you pretty much never worry about them again. Use keystone wall plates for the best long term use. Just be careful especially at 81.

I really hate windows update. They try to claim it is all security updates but what most of it is is new features that nobody really wants and then they have to fix more security issues in these new features. I went to a lot of trouble to uninstall all the xbox garbage and then windows decided it had to reinstall it all so they could then put a security patch on it.

hutchyl

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Thank you for your excellent information.. I had not heard of MoCA but have looked it up now.
I am in Australia not sure where you are. Foxtel uses coax and the unit I am in has Foxtel coax points in every room. I can definitely use coax to go from my router/modem to the TV box. Adapters are a bit expensive though so I will think on it a bit. I am a retired electrician so getting in the ceiling & getting cable down a wall isn't the hardest thing I have done even at my age. Not into terminating Ethernet but can buy cable at the length I need with ends done & can get wall plates that they just plug into so I think that is still the way I am having to go. Thank you again for your prompt & very useful & informative replies it is really appreciated.
Hutchy Adelaide Australia

Wall plates are actually trivial to install compared to crimping plugs on. If you look they make keystones that do not even require special tools. You match the wire colors to the side of the jack and you can do 1 wire at a time rather than trying to get all 8 lined up. Bulk wire is cheaper and many times easier to install. You do not have to drill as large a hole and there is no worry about damaging the ends

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Hi @hutchyl , Aussie here too. I'm also wondering what powerline system you're using as well. My current setup:

NBN -> wifi router -> CAT6 cable -> TP-Link AV2000 powerline adapter -> another AV2000 adapter -> CAT6 -> 4-port switch -> CAT6 -> Windows PC -> HDM1 2.1 cable -> Samsung 4K TV

Also 4-port switch -> CAT6 -> Samsung 4K TV (for built-in smart apps)

I get anywhere between 20-40MB/s sequential bandwidth via powerline in a small townhouse.

I couldn't quite figure out your network map based on your description - any chance you could write/draw this? (EDIT: take care with adding something to the Foxtel coax - check to see if your NBN is already using it via HFC.)

Last edited:

hutchyl

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
The coax Foxtel points in each room go back in the ceiling to a single point but none are connected to anything other than the one connected to the coax coming in that has been adapted for NBN. So I just have to get up there & connect the ends of the lounge room one & the office cables together. Plug an adapter in at each point & done.
Currently I have NBN plugged into the Foxtel coax in a room we call office. That goes to the NBN supply that comes in by coax underground in our complex. iiNet router plugged to that. I have Ethernet cable to my desk top PC. I have a TV box in the lounge connected HDMI to TV. As our place has steel frame WIFI through the unit seems to be restricted. If I connect the media box WIFI I get some larger movies & TV shows freezing & buffering so I got powerline units. However they were used Foxtel ones that were cheap online. They are unfortunately not on the same electrical circuit so go up to the switchboard to make the connection. Apparently not the best. So that shows only an reasonable transfer with the light flashing red most of the time.
Better Powerline maybe?

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Hmm, a challenge indeed. You could try updated AV2000 powerlines, but no guarantee they will improve things if power points in two rooms are different circuits. I guess you could buy from a retailer who honors a full refund if it doesn't work.

Another option is a wifi extender that you could plug in to go "around the corner" of any obstructing walls, and stick to longer 2.4GHz wavelength.

You're an electrician so I assume you know your way around rejigging the coax wiring. Probably best to check with the owner's corporation before you climb into the ceiling space though, just in case :)

hutchyl

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
What do you know about extenders? I have read stuff from everywhere & still not sure about them. Am I getting it right that you have to give a different password to connect to them & so if you change rooms & go near the router you have to connect to that & if you go to a room that it is better WIFI on the extender you have to connect to that with the password for that? Is that right or am I getting it wrong. An extender would be the easiest by far here if you can just plug the damn thing in & get good WIFI every where.
I have a power point right outside the door where the router is (Direct line 2 metres away) & that is in a direct line down the passage to the media box & TV.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
I use extenders at 2 different places and they're OK, but yes the basic ones create a new network such as "wifi_ext". The more advanced ones use mesh networking which retain the same wifi name and password. They add a bit of connection latency regardless.

A cheap one is a good option to try if it's just for extending to one device in the loungeroom.

hutchyl

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Connection latency that's one I didn't know had to look it up. I told you I am old you know.
So how do you know which extenders use mesh networking? Is there a code or name or description or something? I really don't want different passwords.
Thanks Ned for your info where are you in Aus?

hutchyl

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
I am sorry to be a pain in the A but I have more questions you might be able to answer.
As I have said I have my PC connected directly to the router supplied by IINet with Ethernet cable.
I can do a speed test & get consistent 54 mbps anytime. However if I do a test with my phone using Netspot wifi speed test the best is around 20mbps right next to the router & down in the lounge as well. Is this telling me the problem is the router maybe? Should my wifi speed be better than that at the router?

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Hard to say. Could be radio interference. Which frequency band of wifi is your network on - 2.4GHz or 5GHz? 2.4 band can get really crowded especially in an apartment block.

InSSIDer can help with diagnosing wifi network overlaps.

Edit: just looked up Netspot. Seems like it’s got a wifi channel scanner function as well.

Last edited:

hutchyl

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Well the router has both. Ned I am not in an apartment block. We are in a semi detached unit in a village.
I always thought the steel frame of the building was a problem. It is with mobile phones only one bar with Optus & Telstra when we were with them. The nearest tower is only 1 k away probably or a bit less & full bars as soon as we go outside. So I assumed it caused a problem with WiFi too but maybe not.
Will check out your suggestions tomorrow, thanks.

hutchyl

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
OK so now I have no idea. I have a TP Link router & when I sign into it there is 2.4 & 5ghz when I click on wifi.
They are both ticked as enabled. I thought maybe I could unclick 2.4 & see what happens because currently with Netspot speed is around 15. Wifi went off altogether. 5ghz is supposed to be enabled but test right next to the router NOTHING. Also just ticking 2.4 to enable again & save doesn't turn it back on. I have to reboot the router then it does.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
OK so now I have no idea. I have a TP Link router & when I sign into it there is 2.4 & 5ghz when I click on wifi.
They are both ticked as enabled. I thought maybe I could unclick 2.4 & see what happens because currently with Netspot speed is around 15. Wifi went off altogether. 5ghz is supposed to be enabled but test right next to the router NOTHING. Also just ticking 2.4 to enable again & save doesn't turn it back on. I have to reboot the router then it does.
Check the iiNet support guide here: https://help.iinet.net.au/iinet-modem-basic-wifi-settings#vx220

You didn't say which TP-Link modem you have, but there's mention of 'band steering' in the Admin configuration for the newer VX220. If you turn off band steering you'll see separate 2.4 / 5Ghz networks. If it's the older VR1600 then it should already have separate networks. Quite normal to have to reboot the router too.

I'd also use a different tool to Netspot to confirm connection speed, just in case there's something quirky with its method; correlate with speedtest.net.

I'm hitting my knowledge limit here unfortunately, and would normally direct someone back to the ISP for support by now. Unfortunately I see you're with iiNet and in my experience their support is utter trash. :( Hopefully someone smarter can chime in at this point.

hutchyl

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
You have been a great help & yes iiNet are a pain. When it was Adam Internet I spoke with someone in Adelaide. It is the VR1600 & it shows 2.4 and 5Ghz when you log in. They are both checked. If I do a test on my android mobile wifi it shows net speed 65mbps. A speed test on my PC which is ethernet wired goes to 54mbps. Used a couple of wifi test apps on my phone all show around 15 when I am right next to the router.
I have found a TPLInk forum so I will give that a go. Maybe just a better router EH?
Thanks again Lyn H

hutchyl

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
See I said I was old. My mobile is a Galaxy 12 & going into settings only the 2.4ghz shows up. Then I checked mobile networks & Network mode says 4G/3G/2G auto-connect. Duuuhhh does that mean it won't talk to 5Gkz WiFi? If it does I assume that is why I am not getting a test result for 5ghz on Netspot yeah?

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
A quick Google is telling me the A12 doesn't support 5Ghz. Try a different device to run speed tests, if possible. Laptop? Someone else's phone? Perhaps even the Android media box in question?

Last edited:

hutchyl

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Yep just found wife's A23 does so give it a go & see what that says.
I think your first suggestion of MoCa is the easiest for me to get it connected best.
I have coax points in each room & I can make sure they are connected to each other easily.
The other ends are not connected to anything currently & just lying in a bunch right by the manhole in the garage ceiling. Easier than getting ethernet cable down the inner walls of the unit I think.
Thanks NedS