Android Phone Can Be Used as a Supercomputer

Status
Not open for further replies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
It sounds to me like they had the supercomputer do all the hard calculations so that the phone could just take shortcuts by looking up the answer. Kind of like if I said "what's the (square root of 191) + 1?" Then all you would have to do is look up the square root of 191 in a table, and then add 1 to it. Wow! You're a human calculator!

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Surely 'supercomputer' isn't an easily definable term?

the average gamin computer has exponentially more power than the original 'Supercomputers' that were used to send man to space.

by any solid definition, just about every advanced computer made today short of a netbook could be classed as a supercomputer.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Baloney! Making a device (smartphone, laptop, desktop) run a reduced, scale-down model of an app that used to run on a supercomputer does not make the device a supercomputer. Taking journalism to the extreme.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Stupid article name.
Expected supercomputers, not dumbed down simulations that run on smartphones.

Write more accurate names in the future, tom's hardware!

pasoleatis

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
It is called coarse graining. For example you do not need to know the positions of each atom when we study a fluid, we can consider a model in which we solve up to a piece of thousands or tens of thousands of atoms. This order of magnitude faster, but you first need to check the if the coarse grained model is valid and compare with less approximate models.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Smartphones are all crap, i'm done with them. I used to had from iPhone to Nokia ecc. and they are all the same - big, heavy, fragile with buggy software, not to mention the ridiculous price nowadays.
You just can't put a smartphone on the market which has the same price as a laptop or pc.
A cellphone is made for calling and texting, that's it, everything else (apps ecc.) after a week of use or so, is becoming annoying and useless, unless you're a 14 years old kid who thinks he's cool having a smartphone.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]2+2=01010010101001001010ok hands me cash and toms right an article about this "super computer"[/citation]

WRONG!! In Binary, 2+2=100. You see, the (1) in said number = 4, while the second 0 would equal 2, and the last 0 would equal 0 or 1.

Using that logic, your answer was wrong, so i deserve the cash more than you! :D Oh and i pretty much based that off networking.

andrewcutter

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
am i the only one who thinks that for the past few days toms is becoming my worse kind of journalists....
"Sensational Journalism"
Please stop giving such heading to future articles. Your readers are not dumb.:D pls keep simple plain less eyecatchy to the point heading. like a memo subject heading.
This is not the sun or playboy that you are reading....
my 2 cents only.
*opinions expressed are mine only. not meant to degrade or harm others.*

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
[citation][nom]makaveli316[/nom]...unless you're a 14 years old kid who thinks he's cool having a smartphone.[/citation]

you just discriminated me by age :$. i only want touchscreen smartphones coz of their browsing easiness and multimedia capabilities. why i want those is they are very handy when you are not going to be home for sometime, perhaps a road trip or waiting somewhere someplace.. whats more nice than just playing a movie and watching it until the end and then you suddenly realize you have passed that much time, which would otherwise be spent struggling with boredom.

Agreed, there maybe those who think its real cool, but they just dont know the technical stuff within, and how badly their *supercomputer* smartphone would SUCK in a real race with a real gaming computer :)

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Tell me you could build a cluster with 1000 smartphone systems, that is viable both economically and technically.

I will love when we'll have powerful desktop class CPUs/GPUs on systems the size of smartphones that could work on small clusters. Maybe in 20-30 years. They will need to be 50-100 times smaller and will consume what a smartphone system consumes today, or even less. For 95% of people a 2-4 Ghz quad-core arm cpu could be all they need "forever", so it makes sense the average computer system of tomorrow to be pocket size.

A smartphone today is what a desktop was 12 years ago. In 12-20 years more could we have todays systems on this size and power?

The other approach could be to have just a terminal and buy the power you need from your network cloud service provider.

KBentley57

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]Someone should seriously write Folding@Home for Android OS.[/citation]

I hope you say this in regards to porting android to a machine more powerful than a smart phone. You might as well fold on a low power PIII otherwise. Not to mention the battery life reduction. Then there is also the fact that any other app you want to use on the phone will be reduced to a crawl.

folding uses a cpu (or gpu's if you have them) to its maximum capability. Smart phones (I would estimate) are under about a 5% load on average.

mitchmeister03

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]makaveli316[/nom]Smartphones are all crap, i'm done with them. I used to had from iPhone to Nokia ecc. and they are all the same - big, heavy, fragile with buggy software, not to mention the ridiculous price nowadays.You just can't put a smartphone on the market which has the same price as a laptop or pc.A cellphone is made for calling and texting, that's it, everything else (apps ecc.) after a week of use or so, is becoming annoying and useless, unless you're a 14 years old kid who thinks he's cool having a smartphone.[/citation]

This comment is very ignorant. You are putting your opinion out there as fact, which is stupid. I personally use a lot of apps on a daily basis on my Blackberry which are quite useful to my daily life. GPS apps help me get to client locations quickly, weather apps let me know the conditions I'll be driving in, and receiving my email on my phone lets me stay in touch with various clients when I'm not in the office, and update my calendar to easily view my next appointments. I also read off the kindle app nearly every day during down time. I do agree that a lot of the various sound boxes and lightsaber apps do get old quickly, but there a ton of useful business orientated apps out there being used daily by a lot of people.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
and what kind of program are they talking about? Don't think any phone can come even close to a complex supercomputer proggy.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I do see ARM chips making their way into super computers, laptops and desktop. However, I don't see the point of that project. But science, like art gets a little fuzzy at the cutting edge.

geofry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Couple a smart phone up with my FIOS 25/25mbps connection so that it can access the computing power I have at home and it might be considered a light weight super computer, but on its own it's nothing more than a toy for watching youtube, texting, and calculating corrections while sniping.

Status
Not open for further replies.