Android Security Flaw Erases All Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Funny, I'm still waiting for ICS!

One of the biggest problems with Android is manufacturers don't take security seriously.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]Ooooh, is that a feature? Innovation?[/citation]
Hey, at least android has a file system from which you can attempt file recovery from. Do you know how hard it is to recover from an iPhone?

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]Ooooh, is that a feature? Innovation?[/citation]
Better than Androids biggest competition:

iPhone 5 "features":
-Easy-Scratch Aluminium Back! (Not anodized hahah!)
-Extreme camera flaring, official Apple fix is to hold it differently (I'm not kidding, they actually said to angle it differently in another article I read on another site)

Aaand about 4 more I can't remember..

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Hey could be worse, it could erase everything when you do an update!

Ohhh wait it does that already :D

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
@Ninjamonkeh
Just like you do for iOS devices?

@Marco925
Not that hard because I've already done it. You just have to be smart that's all. I'm just saying.

@joytech22
I'll take a scratch any day over all my data being lost to such piss poor security. I always have a phone in a case any way.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]@joytech22I'll take a scratch any day over all my data being lost to such piss poor security. I always have a phone in a case any way.[/citation]

Fool, this has already been patched if you had read the article. In fact my Note 10.1 3G nor my Nexus are vulnerable to this.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Fool, this has already been patched if you had read the article. In fact my Note 10.1 3G nor my Nexus are vulnerable to this.[/citation]What about devices that aren't quite due for replacement, but are no longer well supported?

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
@joytech22
Fool, I did read it. Just because you fix it does not mean it never happened. If you are going to talk *** you can expect to receive *** in return. The Apple bashing does not only go one way you know!

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
"Once the malware triggers a factory reset, there was no method of restoring the data, he added." Seriously? Restore implies a backup was made. Pretty sure you could restore a titanium/ultimate backup, for sure a nandroid backup. Factory resets are really not that scary after all.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]What about devices that aren't quite due for replacement, but are no longer well supported?[/citation]

There are test links available that test for the vulnerability on several sites (stick to reputable ones, please!) not all devices are vulnerable.

There will certainly be unofficial fixes if you wish to test your bravery, but sadly unsupported phones are likely to stay unsupported. :(

@joytech22
Fool, I did read it. Just because you fix it does not mean it never happened. If you are going to talk *** you can expect to receive *** in return. The Apple bashing does not only go one way you know!

I didn't have to fix it, it was fixed one or two weeks ago. -.- It happened and I didn't say it never did, not sure what three asterisks represent but okay.

I expect backlash for my previous comment, I didn't say those things expecting thumbs up for bashing.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]@joytech22Fool, I did read it. Just because you fix it does not mean it never happened. If you are going to talk *** you can expect to receive *** in return. The Apple bashing does not only go one way you know![/citation]

Well i guess you could wait for an apple fix.. put a piece of plastic around it and tell people its their fault.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
@joytech22
I was talking about the good folks at Google in this case when I said 'you'.
As for the asterisks, ask Tom's. They put that in place of the word 5hit for some reason.

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
McAfee security expert Jimmy Shah, however, stressed the bug was not an appealing option to cybercriminals. "There's no benefit to the attacker if they can't make money off it or they can't steal your data," he told the BBC. "It's really not that useful."
Not if the perpetrator was... a competitor. (;

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Expanding definition of "Apple"

1.) a fruit of any species of tree bearing the same genus name.
2.) a multinational corporation known for marketing, placing the letter "I" as a prefix in all products, oppressing competition via legal battles, supporting of slave labor, supporting of cyber criminals.

To everyone complaining about Android updates being slow from handset manufacturers, do you see Dell supplying updates to their computers as often as Microsoft does?

There is a reason why I buy "Nexus" phones.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
@enforcer22
You know you pay $600 or $700 for a phone, so why would you not put a case on it?? It is a bad design? Yes. Are people being dumb a55es for not using a case on a device that cost this much, always with you and gets dropped and banged up a bit? Hell YES!

"Well i guess you could wait for an apple fix"
Well how many versions of Droid did we have before they fixed the battery problem? It's the only phone I know of that has to be charged 2-3 times a day. Guess what, iPhones last ALL DAY. Really 1 1/2 days.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]excella1221[/nom]Not if the perpetrator was... a competitor. (;[/citation]
You'll have to excuse them. McAfee obviously can't remember the days when viruses were created strictly to cause data destruction......you know, that first 20 or so years that personal computer existed.....

Inferno1217

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I will never own anything with Android running on it. I'd rather have an iOS based device. Thumb me down all you want I could careless. Android is a dangerous operating system.[/citation]

It's "I couldn't care less" not "I could care less" you iDouche.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
way to go toms, this was already reported on, found out, and fixed. AND it was only samsung devices, it was a hole in touchwiz. way to report it after everything is over

Status
Not open for further replies.