Android Stagefright Exploit Released To The Public

Status
Not open for further replies.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
That's the major problem with Google's android even with 3+ year old devices IOS. They just assume that you throw away your device and get a new one. That's why I am more inclined to buy that Windows OS devices (except phones) are more future proof as they are more diligent about patches and updates.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Say what you will about Microsoft and security, at least you don't need to buy new hardware each time Microsoft releases a security patch because OEMs don't want to write a new firmware for hardware older than 6 months.

Google really needs to crack down on the Android ecosystem by bypassing OEMs for OS updates, else fragmentation is only going to get worse, security is going to suffer severely. If Google doesn't get its act together Android might join Wang, Tandy, and Blackberry.

Say what you will about Microsoft and security, at least you don't need to buy new hardware each time Microsoft releases a security patch because OEMs don't want to write a new firmware for hardware older than 6 months.

Google really needs to crack down on the Android ecosystem by bypassing OEMs for OS updates, else fragmentation is only going to get worse, security is going to suffer severely. If Google doesn't get its act together Android might join Wang, Tandy, and Blackberry.

LOL tell that to all the former windows supporters that got burned when MS didn't upgrade their phones to windows 8.

vulcangrey

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
My HTC ONE M9 on Sprit received the stagefright patch on Tuesday morning this week... And immediately afterward my screen won't turn off when idle... ever! I have to use the power button.

And also my phone won't connect to my car stereo correctly (touch screen on the Pioneer Appradio2 won't work in app mode)... Either Pioneer was exploiting the stagefright bug to make their touchscreen integration work over bluetooth... Or HTC messed up something else while they were fixing the stagefright bug!

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
There's a lot of negative hyperbole in this article, but that's unfortunately the standard we still have from gadget bloggers these days. The other day I skimmed through a story at iEngadget and the writer happily admitted that he always has a bias in favor Apple products, even when it doesn't make sense.

I agree that Google has to take full responsibility for Android. It's not working the way they're "selling" it today. I have a Note 4 and only received the 5.1.1 update yesterday because the network provider I have insists on keeping the right to alter Android, but they have no interest in maintaining the software after they've sold the phone, despite their customers betting on two year contracts with them.
Even the smallest Linux distribution on PC has timely updates for EVERYBODY, and they're doing that without getting paid for it.
Fix it Google! The time for bad excuses is over.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Does anyone with a prepaid or off-contract plan ever get updates?
I don't think I've seen an OTA update since I dropped my old post-paid service and I've had three carriers since.

Status
Not open for further replies.