Android Tablets Outselling iPads in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
iOS is cluncky, outdated and boring. People want more customizability, so they go with whatever offers them that.
Windows solutions are still a tad too expensive, even though they are more customizable than iOS.
As far as the eReaders go, they still offer unprecedented battery life due to their e-ink screens (also, excellent readability in bright environments, like a real book). I still use one of these. Can't make myself use a tablet for prolonged reading.

neblogai

Distinguished
There is no way Apple will keep such a large market share into the 2017. The article fails to take into account Chinese tablets- which will take over the market.
I have recently bought a Sumvision Voyager 7' tablet for my sisters kids. It costs 80 pounds, which is less than a hundred dollars- and it does almost everything a tablet needs to do. It lacks only high screen resolution (but 480x800 is ok for everything except text), Bluetooth, and GPS, but has a SD-card slot and HDMI-out, which many expensive tablets lack. I also bought a case with a keyboard ($8) to put it in- which makes it a nettop pc when needed. So, now it is basically a small tablet-nettop for a $100. It is much cheaper than laptops, much cheaper than branded tablets- and it is a computing device that billions living in third world countries can finally afford. Being an android, it is easy to use, and has lots of free software as well. Devices like these will blow away most tablet manufacturers. My prediction is, in about 5 years only content providers (Kindle, Google Nexus, Apple) will stay in the market, with a total market share of one third, at best. The rest- is for the masses.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Windows will see a market share increase over the next four years, controlling only 2.8-percent of the tablet market in 2013 and 7.4-percent in 2017. The ARM-based version, Windows RT, will only control 1.9-percent in 2013 and 2.7-percent in 2017.

I think they underestimate WinRT. I picked up a Dell XPS 10, and I like it. It acts just like Win8, for the most part, and that makes it easier to work with. People complaining about the app restrictions apparently don't realize that both Android and Apple have that same restriction. Many Windows apps can easily be adapted to WinRT, so I don't think there will be issues with apps. I'm betting they'll have a bigger share of the market than these analysts think.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
If Apple manage to hold onto nearly 50% of tablet sales in comparison to ALL other Android tablet manufacturers put together that will be pretty amazing in itself.

As for the cheaper 7" and 8" tablets, people will realise that you get what you pay for and a bigger screen is better. Personally I'd like to see Apple release a 12" display... I'd buy it!

I purchased both the Nexus 7 (which is now only used as a glorified GPS device) and an iPad Mini (which is better, but still too small). If you need a 7" tablet just get a phablet!

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Just had to test stuff on iPad (not sure the number). Compared to Galaxy Tab 10.1:
It looks like having a much smaller screen.
Has gazillion of hardware buttons.
Is heavy.
Is hard to hold in hands.

And this thingy is seriously expected to hold 43% by 2017? I oh so doubt it.
Most likely it will follow the fate of the iPhone, settling at about 15% of the market.

[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]Does this mean Android users get the sheep title?[/citation]
Just buying a popular product doesn't make you a sheep.

jtenorj

Distinguished
I found a few errors/omissions in this article. First, the iPad Mini is not 8.9 inches, it's like 7.85 inches. Second, why no mention of the 8.9inch B&N tablet with full HD and a micro sd slot? That can be easily upraded to the latest version of android by simply inserting a micro sd card with the latest version of Cyanogen Mod. The best part is that you can get the cheapest version of the 8.9 inch B&N tablet for only 300 bucks, which is even less than the cheapest iPad Mini.

Eric Labelle

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
I have a Nexus 7 , and two Asus Primes at home. The primes never leave the house but the kids love them at home. I love my Nexus 7 on the road and when I travel. Way less bulky and I teather to my phone on the go. It all comes down to what you do with it. Most games play better on the 7" but video is better on a 10" if you don't have to hold it. I love the keyboard on the Asus prime aswell when working on documents.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]pacomac[/nom]As for the cheaper 7" and 8" tablets, people will realise that you get what you pay for and a bigger screen is better.[/citation]
Personally, 7" is perfect:
1- it barely fits in my pockets, which makes it the largest screen I can carry without encumbering myself
2- it is light enough to hold for extended periods
3- it is small enough for holding in public transit and also makes it a little more discrete (I personally prefer drawing the least attention possible when in public)
4- it is more than large enough to display GPS instructions
5- it is large enough to read or watch video in bed and light enough to hold that long

If I want a much bigger screen, I would need something that can stand on its own... but then it would not be suitable for most things I use my N7 for... too large to carry in pockets, too heavy to hold when no surface to set it on is available, draws more unwanted attention, too large/heavy for most phone/GPS holders to hold and while a bigger screen may be better for reading or watching video, having to set it on something for watching/reading more than a few minutes at a time would make it more annoying than convenient - if I am going to have to sit in bed to read/watch something, might as well walk to the computer.

So for me, a 8-12" tablet does not appear to be worth the trouble... and since 7" models are outselling larger models, I am most likely not alone.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Been saying exactly this would happen for years. Apple got big because it was the only game in town, not because their product was perfect like the fanboys would have you believe.

Sometimes I wish Steve Jobs were still alive so he could see how astonishingly wrong his comment on 7" tablets were. But then I remember all the unethical things Apple did with Jobs at the helm, and how Tim Cook put an end to almost all of it in his first year as CEO.

I could care less about how well Apple is doing with Cook as CEO. It's about goddamn time somebody held them accountable, because Jobs and the fanboys sure as hell weren't.

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]yhatz17[/nom]off course, people would realize that they are wasting money on a thousand dollar facebook machine[/citation]
not so. I wasted $600 on a color ebook reader and portable video game. :) (Galaxy Tab 10.1)

Then, I wasted $700 on a portable office machine, ebook reader, video and music player, and video game machine. (Dell XPS 10 with keyboard dock.) Well, I would consider this one less of a waste. I actually have a decent use level on it.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Ummmm, you can only keep people in the dark for so long. iCrap jail-u-philosophy can only go so far. I was faced with a dilemma this year. I was giving a gift and was faced with deciding with whether to give a android tablet or an iPad. I could not see a person of my technological intelligence choosing an Apple product, but realized that the ill informed masses sit well with Apple and its shiny products even if they are mediocre... To make a long story short, I eventually choose and Android tablet and explained to the person I was giving it to that he could return it for an iPad. But, once he learned to use the Android tablet, he said he was perfectly happy with it.... Now he has planned to ditch his iPhone and is thinking of getting the Samsung Galaxy SIII. I told him to wait for the release of the SG S4. Yeah, people are waking up out there!

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]pacomac[/nom]If Apple manage to hold onto nearly 50% of tablet sales in comparison to ALL other Android tablet manufacturers put together that will be pretty amazing in itself.As for the cheaper 7" and 8" tablets, people will realise that you get what you pay for and a bigger screen is better. Personally I'd like to see Apple release a 12" display... I'd buy it!I purchased both the Nexus 7 (which is now only used as a glorified GPS device) and an iPad Mini (which is better, but still too small). If you need a 7" tablet just get a phablet![/citation]
Actually a 7 inch tablet makes more sense than a 10 inch. A 7 inch tablet can fit in many jackets pockets, while a 10 inch must be carried on a bag. A 7 inch tablet is lighter than a 10 inch, making it more comfortable (the iPad weights 652g, the nexus 7 for example weights almost half, 340g).

A 12 inch tablet would be too big and too heavy to be usable. I know that if Apple makes one, it will be a hit, because a lot of people only care about having the latest gadget from the fruity company, whether if it's usable or not.

Schmalgar

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
What will Apple patent now to stifle the competition? The use of LCD displays to see things? The use of speakers to hear things? Surely those are Apple innovations, much like white rectangles.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I'll be honest.
I LOVED my 10" Android tablet and used it for everything. I thought 7" tablets would be too small to really see the screen, surf the web or check my mail.
Then something happened.
My cousin got a pair of 7" tablets for his kids (4 and 5 years of age) for Christmas and asked me to do the hack and flash bit for him.
I did, and in the process, I REALLY liked the 7" tablet.
Yes, the screen was smaller, but it ran most things just as fast as my 10" tablet, the reduced weight didn't kill my wrist after an hour of reading, and movies, books and comics worked just as well on that smaller screen. I even found out its easier for me to read with a tablet because I can invert a page for black background and white lettering which really makes the letters seem to jump out for me. The app icons and system settings I thought would be too small were still large enough to not impose any added difficulty on me.
I ran out a month later and bought one.
Really, I just wanted something to casually surf the net, check my mail and read on, and to be able to for under $100 is a steal (with a 1.2 ghz cpu and a gig of ddr2).
My 10" tablet now sits in its dock hooked to the tv being used as a media center and retro gaming station (NES, SNES, SMS, SGEN, TG16) when I'm not tinkering and flashing new roms.
7" tablets are perfect size/ weight/ performance for most people, myself included.
I honestly don't care if Apple ever enters into the 7" realm, you just can't beat Android's price performance ratio at this size. I'm sticking with what I've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS