[SOLVED] Android - View email source before opening

Jan 31, 2020
Is there an Android email app that will allow one to select an email and view its source (header information), before opening it, to help filter out phishing and malware attacks?

Thanks.

fr8549

Solution
Thanks tomkendall. One can certainly get malware as the graphics in the emails load, in invisible pixels, or by opening an email that looks like it's from someone in your contact list but isn't.

I don't use Gmail as my primary email handler, so even though they do filter alot of spam out, I wanted a third party app that would actually let me see the header before opening the email, much as Microsoft Outlook does on my PC.

There must be something out there.

Thanks, again.
fr8549

I think you may be mistaken, nowadays you cannot get any sort of malware by opening the email itself - although it is possible if you click links or download any attachments...

tomkendall

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
Not sure why you would want to do this, as you cant get any viruses just by opening the email.The default gmail app does a very good job at removing any spam emails if that works for you.

Jan 31, 2020
Not sure why you would want to do this, as you cant get any viruses just by opening the email.The default gmail app does a very good job at removing any spam emails if that works for you.
Thanks tomkendall. One can certainly get malware as the graphics in the emails load, in invisible pixels, or by opening an email that looks like it's from someone in your contact list but isn't.

I don't use Gmail as my primary email handler, so even though they do filter alot of spam out, I wanted a third party app that would actually let me see the header before opening the email, much as Microsoft Outlook does on my PC.

Thanks, again.
fr8549

tomkendall

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016

Thanks, again.
fr8549

I think you may be mistaken, nowadays you cannot get any sort of malware by opening the email itself - although it is possible if you click links or download any attachments.

https://www.howtogeek.com/135546/ht...ed-just-by-opening-an-email-and-when-you-can/

It should be fairly obvious once you have opened the email if it is illegitimate. Check the email if you are still unsure.

Solution