Angelbird to Bring PCIe SSD on the Cheap

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanlucrazy

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
For people who say it's not cheap, other companies offer better prices blah blah... Did you actually read the article? This is meant to expand with addon cards. For what it is, it is cheap.

Chris_TC

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]I didn't catch the "on the cheap" part.This harkens back to the old days when you could buy a hard drive on a card for your IBM PC.[/citation]
But $240 for 16 GB is a bargain. A total bargain, I tell you!

Aussie_Bear

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
The built in "OS" is called Virtue...

Virtue is a customised Linux implementation. In fact, it uses the same apps as found in your typical Linux desktop installation => Firefox, Thunderbird, Pidgin, Wine, etc...In addition to their custom apps.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]It'll be nice in 15 years when drive these fast are $50 a pop.... Unfortunately I don't think I'll have one of these for the majority of that time period...[/citation]

maybe 15 years from now we might have MOBO witn integrated 1TB bootable "SSD" memory. (they probably change the name by then)

:)

G

I see on Angelbird's website that the card is actually using x4 PCIe, small typo?
I think this card is quite a breakthrough, it packs a lot for its price. This company will grow a lot!

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
The concept is amazing... I can't wait to hear product reviews. If this thing takes off then other companies are going to have to re-think prices on their PCIe SSD cards.

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
well i think it is great as you see some boards with 7 pci slots. I hope to see more boot-able ssd. Soon will have pci 3.0 which will give us even more room to go further with this approach. The speed great, seeing more hitting the market, competition, awesome! i liked OCZ Revo SSD but the future looks bright :D

brando56894

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
This looks awesome, Im gonna have to keep an eye on it. Windows 7 might get an SSD after all! Its currently on a 150gb raptor while Chakra Linux is chilling on a 32 GB OCZ Vertex. I definitely like the idea of being able to buy a bare card with 16 or 32 GB integrated and add additional drives as you either have more money or the price drops (or both if youre lucky!). Another great feature is that it has a self-contained OS which is great because I tend to botch Windows and/or Linux upon occasion and I'm left booting off of liveCDs. Just reading about Virtue right now makes me want to buy one even sooner.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
As far as I can see, the expansion SSDs for "wings" are based on industry standard connectors:

http://www.angelbird.co.uk/crest

Physically, you could attach ANY SSD to the expansion card.
I bet they have disabled 3rd party SSD upgrading through the onboard OS. :D
I find it disappointing that they have not implemented the SATA III standard. Could have been a great incentive for people with older mobos, like myself (x58) to buy into this. :(

daeros

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Am I the only one blown away by the idea of a hard drive that is as fast as the PC133 ram I used in a computer I put together for middle school? Holy Crap!

G

Cant believe they are based in UK, paying British taxes (very very high compares to other parts of the operation)

Go on Angelwings, for the Queen!!

thepontiff

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
From the site: "Connecting your existing 2.5 inches HDD or SSD is also possible through our universal clip & couplers, included in every box."

It looks pretty interesting actually.

FatalyFlawed

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
If it is competition for the OCZ Revodrive it's got to be a good thing. Should help to bring down relative prices a bit quicker. This whole SSD thing is poised to take off in the near future.
You all know that inevitably the technology will take hold. It always does, given space. Haven't we all seen time and time again how this process works? You get yourself the best bleeding edge solution money can buy, (assuming your wealthy) or you just dream of doing so(like the most of us). Two years later you find out that the average toaster has more grunt in it then your erstwhile uber-computer.
Nay saying the advent of SSD's is flat earthing. The only way they wont happen is if a different (better) solution is found before SSD's take hold(unlikely).The only current debate I can really see revolves around the type of drive we end up with (PCI-e or sata) As it is SSD's will no doubt reach the end of their line some time in the not to distant future, when the "next big thing" comes along.That is the way of things.Unless, or until, we blow ourselves up, or drown in a sea of our own toxic waste.

G

This is the most exiting piece of hardware on the horizon at the moment. Refreshing to see such brilliant innovation in high speed raid cards fully upgradable this is excellent news and cheap too got mine on order for the first production run reckon these will sell like hot cakes I can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS