Angelini Talks Gaming With DEVGRU Operator Craig Sawyer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

intelmogul

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
OUTSTANDING. Best gaming article on specops, EVER! Every teen boy wants to be this man and its awesome to hear that he games and has also played the sniper mission in chernobyl! Now, if we can only take point to clean our some campers for me tonight on team deathmatch! We need more articles like this.

intelmogul

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
[citation][nom]The Pavone[/nom]In the cover picture.... is his scope mounted backwards?[/citation]
PAVONE, that is a US Optics scope. Its mounted correctly.

K-beam

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
well, actually, if you look back to the original Ghost Recon and the Rainbow Six RavenShield, those had all the right portion of realism, down to slowing down and dragging your feet (with the appropriate noise) when injured (RavenShield). No saves during the whole mission, your buddy dies -> he gets substituted by a poor reserve. Your buddy dies -> you cannot take him to next mission.
What happened to those games???

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Maybe it's because I'm no american patriot, but the article sort of confirms my prejudgements with regards to american 'elite' troops.
Not sure other countries have elite troops that are any different though.
Except for sounding a bit more smart, the seal guy reminds me a lot about the Chad character from Blue Mountain State (a tv series)

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
in the "realism" section, it's pretty clear they're talking about Call of Doody and not a game/simulator like ARMA II

"Can a game still be fun if I get shot, say, in the leg and consequently lose significant mobility until I’m able to "med-up?""

Get off your 360, play ARMA II and find out.

Inphi

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
it's funny how none of these spec-ops guys have never heard of (or talk of) actual realistic games like Arma.
I'm obviously no SEAL (or any kind of special operator) but I certainly know that (vanilla) Battlefield is far from realistic.

razor_47

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
As some people have commented on already, too bad these guys only seem aware of the existence of unrealistic arcade shooters like Battlefield and Call of Duty. It would have been very interresting to hear Mr. Sawyers thoughts on a realistic game like Arma 2. Many of the features declared "missing from modern shooters" in the interview actually exists in Arma 2.

nleksan

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I have never served, have a number of friends who have or currently are, though. I have been competing in 3-Gun, Practical Pistol/Rifle, Tactical Pistol/Rifle, precision no-bench distance, and many other forms of competitive marksmanship that isn't the boring "stack the sand bags just right and get out the 50x magnification optics" stuff. I got involved because I have worked for a small FFL (Class 3 firearms dealer) for the past 9 years, and having always been interested in firearms, the chance to get anything on the market at cost was, and still is, too good to pass up (especially since I don't have to pay for tax stamps for C3, SBR's, or suppressors).
I have grown very fond of "killhouse" training, it's incredibly adrenaline filled and I would equate it to being the autocross of the competitive shooting world (I also race, but at a much higher level of competition than I shoot).
I remember after I had gotten my first HK416, one of the first privately owned in the country, and lucky enough to get the 10.4" upper, 14.5" upper, and 18" upper all as part of the sale.
I threw one of my Gemtech G5-T's on it, one of my EOTech EXPS3's with the G33 3x FtS magnifier, and a SureFire M910V w modified Cree 125/350lumen variable output LED head on the rifle (10.4" upper, 9.5" rail) and spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours putting enough rounds through it that I ordered 3 new barrels the first week I had it, knowing that I would wear one down pretty quickly and not wanting to lose the "all original" aspect of a rare rifle. 18,000 rounds in what seems like no time atall.
The other type of sshooting I like, mainly because it's stress relieving, is taking my AI AWSM .338 Lapua Mag to the 1500yd range, and consistently fail to hit the target lol.

Well, the first time I see one of my buddies aft he returned from a deployment w US Army Special Forces, we went to the range and without having ever fired an AI AW before, he put 5 rounds in a 2.25" group at a grand. Oh, well, he was a sniper instructor so I guess I should have expected that, but if you have never looked through a Leopold 5-25x58 scope at a man size target 1.5KM away, it's like trying to hit a specific blade of grass with a BB gun from 40ft with a 25mph crosswind.
Later, he of course managed, with no effort, to beat my perfect score time by 4 seconds @ the killhouse (most people take years to improve a second, and I was already one of the fastest non military regulars). And he did it with my rifle, again, one he'd never used.

Talk about humbling! Be glad these guys are on our side!

xlarge511

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
The whole time the game they were both hoping would be developed was ARMA 3 the whole time. It has the fatigue factor, the teamwork aspect, the realistic weapon recoil, the bullet damage, the only thing its missing is melee and you can still have that with a mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS