Angelini Talks Gaming With DEVGRU Operator Craig Sawyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting article and special thanks to Craig Sawyer!

We did not pursue questions that would violate OPSEC
Yeah, we wouldn't want another MoH overreaction.

The lack of a fatigue factor, even in fairly realistic first-person shooters, has always bothered me. Most titles allow you to sprint briefly before slowing down to a run, but you’re able to shoot, jump, and then, seconds later, sprint again. Is this something that needs to change in the next generation of games, or would "the real thing" be a total turn-off for a gamer?
Try Paintball. Otherwise VR with electric shock. Either way, IMO very few want total or close to realism in gaming other than theatrics. Listen, I've been shot by a 22mm that grazed off my knee taking-off a piece of meat -- getting welted-up from paintball's or electric shock is a cake walk.

Personally, I'm far from a SEAL (really far) but I like my guns, and my Glock 19 with a LaserMax will make folks think twice about leaving in a home invasion - it's there as fast as I can reach. The POF-USA P308-12-MRR 7.62mm NATO is indeed sweet and ain't cheap; just what every 'deer' hunter needs.

245727723389475240_48fKRwJN_c.jpg

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Correction on page 2:
Tom's Hardware: I think all gamers remember the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 scene where you're a sniper in the top floor of a building in Chernobyl. As a real U.S. Navy SEAL sniper, how accurate is this experience?
I remember that so well that I know for a fact that it happened in the original Modern Warfare, ie COD4: Modern Warfare.....before they stopped the numbering.
And after finishing reading the article, I'd like to add that it was pretty great. To someone like me who doesn't know a thing about real world combat, it was very insightful, and Sawyer made some good points about the direction of the gaming industry in regards to shooters.

Chewie

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
Accuracy's my biggest problem with Crysis, to this day. I especially remember a point early in the first game where I like to lie down in the grass and take out the Norks manning MG emplacements that just can't seem to see me. The problem was, with the Assault Scope I was taking 3 or 4 shots to get a head shot on these guys. The reticle covered the whole head! I checked the range range with the visor, or binocs, or whatever, and got a range of 80m!
Now, I'm no sniper dude, but I can get multiple 2 inch 5 round groups at 200 metres with the Steyr AUG, and that has a 1.5x optical scope. Also, no cool crysis suit to help. So at 80m, firing from prone, you bet your arse I can pick which eye to take out. But not in Crysis. Most of the other stuff about that group of games is cool, but the accuracy issue drives me nuts every time.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Tom’s Hardware: What is Sleep, Eat, and Lift?

Craig Sawyer: Hey! Are you punking me, man!? Hah.
Chris, I bet you were making your prayers and cringing already while he was saying that. :lol:
I'm kidding of course. :p But I know I would, knowing that guy could snap my neck with one hand! :lol:

That aside, a great read! I thank you and Mr. Sawyer there. :D I giggled at the thought of how ridiculous the things we do in games are, and imagined it in real life. Seeing those CoD (and others) commercials would make think they're silly now albeit still cool. :lol:

US_Ranger

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Good article. I especially liked the part about posers. That shit always bothers me and I've run into my fair share of them as well.

Sua Sponte Craig, good luck in your new endeavors.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Thankyou so much for this article Chris! The most interesting piece I've read on any site for
a long time.

Best wishes & respect to Craig and all his colleagues.

Ian.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]Chewie[/nom]Accuracy's my biggest problem with Crysis, to this day. I especially remember a point early in the first game where I like to lie down in the grass and take out the Norks manning MG emplacements that just can't seem to see me. The problem was, with the Assault Scope I was taking 3 or 4 shots to get a head shot on these guys. The reticle covered the whole head! I checked the range range with the visor, or binocs, or whatever, and got a range of 80m!Now, I'm no sniper dude, but I can get multiple 2 inch 5 round groups at 200 metres with the Steyr AUG, and that has a 1.5x optical scope. Also, no cool crysis suit to help. So at 80m, firing from prone, you bet your arse I can pick which eye to take out. But not in Crysis. Most of the other stuff about that group of games is cool, but the accuracy issue drives me nuts every time.[/citation]

I personally participate in bolt-action rifle competitions up to 1000yards but...AUG A’s 1.5x optical scope with 2 inch groups at 200m? You better have used a fully locked bench rest for that...AKA you were just pressing the trigger and the bench was holding aim. Otherwise I really doubt your "consistent" 5 round groups; I have used A1's reticle 1.5x scope before, and after 100-150 yards the "donut" reticle covers too much to know where the true center is. So you either very lucky repeatedly or are over exaggerating a bit.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Awesome article and i was just thinking that the articles on TH were getting kind of lame last week. Very good points and helps me sleep better at night knowing dudes like this are doing things to protect our country and make it fun to play our favorite games!

Chewie

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
[citation][nom]happyballz[/nom]I personally participate in bolt-action rifle competitions up to 1000yards but...AUG A’s 1.5x optical scope with 2 inch groups at 200m? You better have used a fully locked bench rest for that...AKA you were just pressing the trigger and the bench was holding aim. Otherwise I really doubt your "consistent" 5 round groups; I have used A1's reticle 1.5x scope before, and after 100-150 yards the "donut" reticle covers too much to know where the true center is. So you either very lucky repeatedly or are over exaggerating a bit.[/citation]

This was when I was 18, during basic training. And it wasn't every day, like clock work, or something. But I could get 2 inch groups of 5 rounds. and repeat it. I remember the corporal telling me, "Slow down, aim your shots", then the target slid back up with one cardboard circle showing multiple rounds in that area. The corporal said, "I don't know where your other rounds went" and then on the second or third round of the next group the cardboard circle flew off somewhere. I seem to recall that the donut reticle had a cross in it that helped. Maybe not the A1 you were using?
As I said, not everyday, but I could repeat it. At least enough to make the instructor stop bugging me about shooting too fast. I'm told by an american friend that it does usually require sandbags, and is refered to as 2 MOA, which is at the limits of accuracy for that rifle. Hell, maybe I should have gone on to the Infantry instead of the Ordnance Corps.
Probably couldn't do the same thing now, but I'm sure I could get a head shot on a slow moving target at 200m, let alone 80!

Very interesting article. What FPS would he recommend to someone thinking about "testing" the genre?

I'm just a civilian maggot, although my father and brother are former USMC.
Thanks, Craig, for sticking your neck out for the rest of us. It matters, and some of us will never forget it.

Th_Redman

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Amazing article Chris...like some of the previous commentors posted...best gaming article in a long time. Pure kudos to Craig for his expertise, insights etc. The one question that I would've liked to read that Chris would've asked Craig at the conclusion of this great article is..."What video game that has been created would you say is the most realistic, in terms of what you have gone through, in your military life?"

garrettm

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
One of the best articles I have read in a long time. Thanks to Craig for your amazing service to our country! A real American bada$$

tweakbz

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
From one active Sailor to a salty, retired, SEAL:

HOOYAH!

Excellent read! Thank you for your incredible service, Craig. I'm honored to say that I'm in the Navy when we have outstanding Sailors such as yourself.

I only wish we had more hardworking and motivated folks =\

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
A lot of the stuff they were talking about on page 3 is a part of Americas Army 3. I enjoyed that game for a while, it was just missing a lot in certain departments like graphics, certain game mechanics felt really outdated, and it seemed to crash or disconnect a lot. I would love to see a major game studio do something like it, but better.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Pawessum16[/nom]Correction on page 2:I remember that so well that I know for a fact that it happened in the original Modern Warfare, ie COD4: Modern Warfare.....before they stopped the numbering.And after finishing reading the article, I'd like to add that it was pretty great. To someone like me who doesn't know a thing about real world combat, it was very insightful, and Sawyer made some good points about the direction of the gaming industry in regards to shooters.[/citation]
Yeah it was CoD4. But iirc no matter how much you tried, the bullet was programmed to hit the same arm.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]blader15sk8[/nom]A lot of the stuff they were talking about on page 3 is a part of Americas Army 3. I enjoyed that game for a while, it was just missing a lot in certain departments like graphics, certain game mechanics felt really outdated, and it seemed to crash or disconnect a lot. I would love to see a major game studio do something like it, but better.[/citation]
America's Army 2 was better imo, though its graphics are dated.

Status
Not open for further replies.